2021 Communications Intern
New York City (United States of America)
GiveDirectly (GD) aims to reshape international giving – and millions of lives – by providing cash grants directly to the world’s poorest. The Brookings Institution estimates that $70B of cash transfers would be required to eliminate the poverty gap; the aid sector currently spends $135B each year, much of it on evidence-free interventions. GiveDirectly wants to change that, establishing a benchmark, and in the process accelerating the end of extreme poverty. GD has raised over $700m in revenue ($320M in 2020 alone), while being recognized as one of the most innovative non-profit companies by Fast Company. The growing movement towards cash transfers and GD's role in that movement have also been featured inThis American Life, Foreign Affairs, The Economist, and Business Insider.
Cash transfers are at a potential inflection point: COVID-19 has amplified the challenges of bulkier in-kind aid models, and governments are deploying cash as their most common tool of assistance to vulnerable populations. GiveDirectly has an opportunity to leverage its strong track record (i.e. operations across 9 countries,, 13 randomized control trials), to both deliver immense impact and position itself as the premiere cash implementation vehicle globally.
Across our global offices, our culture is candid, analytical, non-hierarchical, and fast-paced. We value ability, adaptability and willingness to learn.
About the Communications Intern Role
We are looking for a Communications Intern to join our collaborative, diverse team. In partnership with GiveDirectly’s Director of Communications, the intern will play an integral role in helping increase GiveDirectly’s brand awareness in the media and other outlets.
This position is remote, with a preference for NYC. Hours are flexible but will skew toward Eastern Time. Intern pay will be hourly, and rate of pay will depend on level of education and experience:
- Undergraduate student: $19.00/hour
- Recent graduate: $22.00/hour
- Master’s degree student: $29.00/hour
What You’ll Do
- Coordinate media outreach efforts
- Brainstorm and write pitches
- Research lists of outlets and reporters to pitch to, and personalize outreach to them
- Dig up contact information for podcasts and TV producers
- Improve our backend media mentions library
- Serve as confidant and collaborator with Director of Communications
What You Bring
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Excellent resourcefulness and an ability to piece together a narrative through disparate sources
- Comfort with Google Sheets and ability to pick up new software/systems quickly
- Confidence in cold-calling busy journalists and producers
- Creativity with media framing and positioning
- Preferred: Direct experience in journalism, media, or marketing. Fluent in French Experience with data/statistical manipulation and visualizations.
In addition to the specific skills required for each role, we’re looking for candidates who are aligned with our GD Values, and who demonstrate our core competencies: emotional intelligence, problem solving, project management, follow-through, and fostering inclusivity.
Timeframe: 4 month opportunity, starting at the beginning of August, with possibility of extending (timing is flexible).
Hours: 20 hrs/week. We can accommodate your schedule if balancing other internships.
**GD is committed to observing all local, national and international laws that protect children, vulnerable adults, and basic human rights of all. GD is committed to a policy of “zero tolerance for sexual exploitation, abuse, and harassment (SEAH)” and expects anyone who works for GD to uphold the protection and safeguarding of our recipients as a priority.**