Project Management Support - Senior Analyst (Retainer), Multiple positions
Home Based - May require travel (Home Based)
Background Information - Job-specific
UNOPS supports partners to build a better future by providing services that increase the efficiency, effectiveness and sustainability of peace building, humanitarian and development projects. Mandated as a central resource of the United Nations, UNOPS provides sustainable project management, procurement and infrastructure services to a wide range of governments, donors and United Nations organizations.
New York Service Cluster (NYSC) supports the United Nations Secretariat, as well as other New York-based United Nations organizations, bilateral and multilateral partners in the delivery of UNOPS mandate in project management, infrastructure management, and procurement management
Sustainable Development Cluster (SDC) supports diverse partners with their peacebuilding, humanitarian and development operations. It was formed by combining the following portfolios: Grants Management Services (GMS), UN Technology Support Services (UNTSS), Development and Special Initiatives Portfolio (DSIP) It provides Services to partners' programmes that are designed, structured, and managed with a global perspective and primarily serving partners that are headquartered in New York. The SDC has a footprint of approximately 125 countries.
The United Nations Office of Counter-Terrorism (UNOCT)/the United Nations Counter-Terrorism Centre (UNCCT) Global Preventing and Countering Violent Extremism (PCVE) Programme provides integrated capacity building packages, institutional development and technical assistance to requesting Member States, civil society and the UN system to strengthen individual, community and national resilience to violent extremism and reduced threat of terrorism. The Programme engages in nine substantive and mutually reinforcing portfolios: policy assistance, strategic communications, youth engagement, education, mental health, new frontiers, gender, human rights and coordination.
This is a position in UNOPS for supporting projects carried out for the UNOCT. The incumbent of this position will be a personnel of UNOPS under its full responsibility.
Purpose and Scope of Assignment
The challenge of violent extremism conducive to terrorism in South-East Asia continues to be a source of concern for policymakers across the region. Recognizing the need for appropriate policies to counter this challenge, the Association of South-East Asian Nations (ASEAN) adopted a Regional Action Plan to Prevent and Counter Radicalization and Violent Extremism (RAP) in October 2018 and has since operationalized the Regional Action Plan through the Bali Workplan adopted in November 2019.
Based on priority areas and activities identified in the ASEAN Bali workplan, the project seeks to organize two regional workshops (one virtual and one in-person) on radicalization of migrant workers to recommend policies on creating fair working conditions for migrant workers, especially women as means to prevent them from being radicalized.
Under the supervision of the Project Manager, the contrctor will provide operational support as follows:
- Plans and supports the facilitation of two regional workshops, one virtual (2 days) and the other in-person (2 days) in Southeast Asia, including identifying experts and participants, organizing workshop, completing administrative functions, taking notes and drafting workshop reports, arranging for the translation of materials into regional languages, and securing online platform(s) for the virtual workshop.
- Supports logistics and substantive implementation of the project activities.
- Works with stakeholders before, during and after workshops to project completion.
- Supports the facilitation of the workshops.
- Manages timely and high-quality reporting of the project activities including compiling post-activity reports, drafting materials, compiling workshop data, and writing post-workshop report.
- Supports the drafting of recommendations from the workshop and their submission to the ASEAN CVE Working Group and to individual ASEAN Member States, including, as needed, through dedicated briefings and information sessions.
- Identifies and manages project risks and issues to ensure delivery on time.
- Maintains the Programme manager informed of all relevant development and helps identify solutions and courses of action to resolve, as necessary, emerging challenges
- Assists with other areas of the Global PCVE Programme as required.
Monitoring and Progress Controls
- Effective facilitation of virtual 2-day regional workshop to develop guidelines on the protection of migrant workers as means to prevent radicalization and violent extremism, incorporating human rights principles and the rule of law.
- Effective facilitation of two-day regional workshop (in-person) to foster consensus among policymakers in the region on creating fair working conditions for migrant workers, especially women, as a means to pre-empt radicalization.
- Effective data collection and report writing to support compilation and submission of policy recommendations to ASEAN PCVE Working Group
- Effective and high-quality completion and submission of workshop reports and other related documents
*CANDIDATES WITH NO UNITED NATIONS OR UNOPS EXPERIENCE ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY
Advanced university degree preferably in international affairs, political science, security studies, international law, computer science, tech or science policy, or relevant discipline is required.
Bachelor’s degree with an additional two years of experience may be accepted in lieu of an advanced degree.
- A minimum of two (2) years of progressively responsible experience in project management is required.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills are required.
- Experience convening multi-stakeholder and multidisciplinary working groups on relevant issues is desirable.
- Solid organizational skills, including attention to detail and multitasking, as well as programming budgeting and financial experience.
- Proven experience organizing and facilitating the substantive and logistical components of high level workshops, including at the international level
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Project Management Professional (PMP)/PRINCE II certification is a plus.
Fluency in English (write, read, speak) is required.
It is necessary to reside in Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, or Vietnam to apply for this position.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: Local Individual Contractor Agreement - LICA retainer modality. A retainer contract is issued for a period of time during which the services of the local individual contractor are required intermittently. The local individual contractor agreement on retainer basis will specify a “unit price” per day worked. For budgetary purposes, a monetary cap will be determined when the contract is awarded and issued. Please note that the retainer contract will not provide for a minimum, and payment will be made only after completion of work
Contract level: Local Individual Contractor Agreement (L-ICA 9)
Contract duration: ASAP up to 31 December 2021 (retainer)
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link: https://www.unops.org/english/Opportunities/job-opportunities/what-we-offer/Pages/Individual-Contractor-Agreements.aspx
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (around 4 hours) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.