Post Number : CI-011
Grade : G-3
Parent Sector : Communication and Information Sector (CI)
Duty Station: Paris
Job Family: General Administrative Support
Type of contract : Fixed Term
Duration of contract : 2 years
Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 29-JULY-2021
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
(Only candidates who are entitled to work in France may apply to this position)
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
The Communication and Information Sector’s mission is to promote freedom of expression, media development and media literate societies, and to build knowledge societies through fostering universal access to information, innovation for sustainable development and the preservation of documentary heritage. (The role of this vacant position does not include responsibility for UNESCO's wider external communications, which is managed by the Department of Public Information.).
Under the overall authority of ADG/CI and direct supervision of the Chief of the Executive Office, and in cooperation with the Secretarial Assistant of the Executive Office, the incumbent provides general office support services to facilitate the smooth functioning of the Executive Office, in support of the overall coordination of the CI Sector. The incumbent contributes to the effective and timely accomplishment of administrative/office transactions and activities utilizing knowledge of office systems and procedures. In particular, the incumbent will :
- Use standard word processing packages to produce a variety of routine correspondence, reports, tables, charts, graphs, etc., in accordance with UNESCO standards. Review, record, route and/or process mail or other documents; retrieve, gather and structure pertinent background material to files from various sources; track and monitor follow-up action to files as required. Organize, maintain and update filing systems (both paper and electronic, including on MS Teams/Sharepoint and databases for the Executive Office and in support of the CI Sector as a whole. Respond to routine inquiries and information requests, including drafting routine written responses to incoming requests, or route to appropriate personnel for handling as required. Update and maintain large distribution lists; lists of staff, focal points, task teams etc.; permissions and membership on the Office 365 suite; assemble documents, reports and other materials for internal and external dissemination, where possible using electronic formats; coordinate courier services. Assist in organizing online and offline meetings and events by arranging meeting facilities; make travel arrangements.
- Operate and maintain a variety of office equipment in the performance of basic office functions, e.g. photocopier, facsimile, printer, scanner, etc. Photocopy a variety of documents and other materials. Deliver urgent mail/messages. Provide support to knowledge management by liaising with relevant internal central services (DBS), operate and maintain virtual office equipment and software, support related daily operations, activities and events.
- Proofread written products in French and in English for completeness, and grammatical and typographical accuracy. Maintain calendar/schedules for the Executive Office; monitor changes and communicate relevant information to appropriate staff inside and outside the Executive Office unit. Perform basic data entry and extraction functions. Check accuracy of simple calculations, codings, data, etc. May initiate a low volume of transactions in automated systems and run reports.
- Prepare and manage virtual and in-person meetings and appointments; schedule and receive/screen phone calls and visitors.
- Create requisitions for purchase orders, contracts or letters of agreement from standard templates for low value items; and ensure follow-up as necessary.
- Additional activities that may be required to ensure the success of the work team.
- Completed secondary, technical and/or vocational education.
- A minimum of two (2) years of relevant work experience in office management, administration and or/secretarial work.
- Excellent organizational and coordination skills.
- Excellent proofreading skills.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills, including ability to draft correspondence and correct documents in English and/or French.
- Discretion, initiative, good sense of judgement and a service-oriented attitude to provide quality and timely support and services.
- Capacity to deal efficiently and tactfully with a variety of stakeholders in a multicultural environment.
- Flexibility to adjust to work schedules and priorities; efficiency in meeting commitments and observing deadlines.
- Excellent IT skills with proficiency in the use of MS Office Teams, Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.
- English and French are the working languages of the UNESCO Secretariat. For this post, excellent knowledge of French or English is required, and good knowledge of the other language.
- General administration certificate/training or post-secondary degree in business administration, information technology, or related areas.
- Experience in providing secretarial and administrative support services.
- Relevant work experience in an international environment/organization/institution.
- Familiarity with the UN system.
- Knowledge of UNESCO rules, administrative procedures and standard practices.
- Knowledge of another official language of UNESCO (Arabic, Chinese, Russian, Spanish)
UNESCO’s salaries consist of a basic salary and other benefits which may include if applicable: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, medical insurance, pension plan etc.
For more information in benefits and entitlements, please consult ICSC website.SELECTION AND RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO careers website. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.Footer
UNESCO applies a zero tolerance policy against all forms of harassment.
UNESCO is committed to achieve and sustain gender parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities, as well as nationals from non-and under-represented Member States (last update here) are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the highest level of confidentiality. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.