Senior Administrative Assistant
Post Number : 1ITSC0933TP
Grade : G-6
Parent Sector : Natural Sciences Sector (SC)
Duty Station: Trieste
Job Family: General Administrative Support
Type of contract : Fixed Term
Duration of contract : 2 years
Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 28-JULY-2021
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
(Only candidates who are entitled to work in Italy can apply for this position.)OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
Founded in 1964 by the late Nobel Laureate Abdus Salam and located in Trieste (Italy), the Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics (ICTP) seeks to accomplish its mandate by providing scientists from developing countries with the continuing education and skills that they need to enjoy long and productive careers. ICTP has been a major force in stemming the scientific brain drain from the developing world. For more than 50 years, ICTP has been a driving force behind global efforts to advance scientific expertise in the developing world.
Under the overall authority of the Director of ICTP and the direct supervision of the Head, Condensed Matter and Statistical Physics (CMSP) Section, the incumbent provides administrative support services in a range of specialized areas and plays a lead role within the unit in ensuring application and compliance with the rules, regulations, policies and practices in place. Work encompasses delivery of specialized support in administration, budget/accounting and visitor services. The incumbent is also the focal point for liaison between the administrative personnel of scientific sections with the ICTP Directorate, Administration and Operations Section and ICTP committees and working groups. Essential responsibilities include:Long Description
- Act as focal point and manage the overall administrative coordination of the CMSP Section including the production of all administrative documentation.
- Provide guidance and interpretation on administrative rules and provisions and advise on technical and operational transactions as well as complex and non-recurring actions.
- Advise and assist on administrative matters for the Section and ensure the observation of financial procedures/rules.
- Ensure accurate and timely processing of assigned accounts, participating and advising in the preparation of financial statements and budgets.
- Monitor expenditures, review payments and reconcile accounts, and provide necessary information and guidance to Section staff.
- Create visits and related records in the visitor management IT system.
- Advertise Group's activities via posters and web pages.
- Maintain correspondence with scientific journals.
- Maintain schedules and logistics of weekly seminars and visits and provide day-to-day assistance and administrative briefings to staff and visiting scientists.
- Research information on supply sources, vendors by commodity and obtain specifications on the market.
- Review contractual documents, prepare requisitions for supplies and equipment and ensure conformity of delivered goods. Ensure that payments are processed and associated control and distribution of inventory records.
- Act as the focal point for the administrative personnel of the scientific sections with the ICTP Directorate, Administration and Operations Section, ICTP committees and working groups. Maintain close links with the Directorate and Directorate Management Committee.
- Prepare and maintain work guidelines, methodologies and procedures and monitor uniformity in work patterns across all scientific sections. Identify systemic problems or issues, and suggest improvements to rules and procedures.
- Completed secondary, technical and/or vocational school.
- At least eight (8) years of relevant working experience in secretarial and/or administrative function.
- Experience dealing with budgetary and administrative issues.
- Knowledge of standard office computer applications (MS Office, SAP, etc.).
- Ability to analyse complex issues, show initiative and propose appropriate solutions.
- Good interpersonal, organizational and coordination skills.
- Flexibility to adjust work schedules and priorities.
- Capacity to deal efficiently and tactfully with different partners/institutions and other stakeholders at all levels in a multicultural environment.
- Excellent communications skills (oral and written), including excellent drafting skills in English.
- Excellent knowledge (spoken and written) of English.
- Good knowledge (spoken and written) of Italian.
- Experience in an international environment.
- Knowledge of another UN official language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish).
Only candidates who are entitled to work in the E.U. may apply to this position. Please note that for this position UNESCO will not reimburse expenses such as travel in connection with interviews, tests and relocation.BENEFITS AND ENTITLEMENTS
UNESCO’s salaries consist of a basic salary and other benefits which may include if applicable: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, medical insurance, pension plan etc.
For more information in benefits and entitlements, please consult ICSC website.SELECTION AND RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO careers website. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.Footer
UNESCO applies a zero tolerance policy against all forms of harassment.
UNESCO is committed to achieve and sustain gender parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities, as well as nationals from non-and under-represented Member States (last update here) are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the highest level of confidentiality. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.