Riyadh (Saudi Arabia)
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
FAO seeks gender, geographical and linguistic diversity in order to best serve FAO Members in all regions.
Qualified female applicants are encouraged to apply.
People with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply.
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality.
The incumbent will be part of the Programme Management Unit (PMU) of the FAO-Saudi Technical Cooperation Programme in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. The PMU of the FAO-Saudi Technical Cooperation Programme (2019-2025) facilitates, coordinates and manages all technical and advisory services to be provided by FAO to the Saudi Ministry of Environment, Water and Agriculture (MoEWA). The project “UTF/SAU/051/SAU Strengthening MoEWA’s Capacity to Implement the Sustainable Rural Agricultural Development Programme” is the first project that has been approved within the framework of FAO-Saudi Technical Cooperation Programme (2019-2025). The project will provide technical and advisory assistance to the MoEWA in implementing its flagship sustainable rural agricultural development programme that has recently been approved within the context of the National Transformation Programme of the Saudi Vision 2030. The project expected results will be achieved through implementation of nine project components: 1) Development of coffee Arabica production, processing and marketing; 2) Development of beekeeping and honey production; 3) Development of rose production and trade; 4) Development of sub-tropical fruits production, processing and marketing; 5) Strengthening capacity of small-scale fishermen and fish farmers; 6) Strengthening capacity of small-scale livestock herders; 7) Development of rain-fed cereals production; 8) Enhancing value addition from smallholdings and rural activities; and 9) Strengthening MoEWA’s capacity in sustainable management of rangelands, forests and natural resources to support rural livelihoods.
The Communication Specialist reports directly to the FAO Programme Director in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
Under the overall direction and supervision of the FAO KSA Programme Director, the Communication Specialist will provide strategic direction and communication support to enhance visibility of FAO’s programme in Saudi Arabia. In regular consultation and coordination with the communication focal points of the Regional Office for Near East and North Africa and Office of Communications (OCC), the incumbent will ensure the development and implementation of the FAO KSA Technical Cooperation Programme communication strategy. Activities and output under the strategy needs coordination and coherence with the organizational/corporate communication policy and operational guidelines.
Tasks and responsibilities
The candidate will perform the following tasks:
- Develop, manage, and implement communication strategy and action plan for FAO-KSA programme in alignment with the regional communication strategy and corporate communication policy.
- Create a database for communication channels and its specialized programmes interested in the field of food and agriculture and maintain an updated contact list for this purpose.
- Coordinate and support the drafting and editing of diverse materials (background material, speaking points, briefings, speeches, Op-eds, questions and answers) for use by the Programme Director, set quality and production standards for information dissemination in multiple languages.
- Support the dissemination of RNE and HQ press releases and Op-Ed’s to local media outlets, in coordination with the Regional Communication Office.
- Manage and update the communication content of social media h channels such as twitter account on a regular basis, serve as KSA-FAO focal point for corporate outreach and promotion campaigns and initiatives and respond to media or the public queries.
- Coordinate the implementation of FAO’s global campaigns in KSA including World Food Day and International Years, Days and UN decades led by FAO.
- Conceptualize, write, edit, prepare and develop high-profile communication, promotional, outreach and advocacy materials for print/electronic/audio-visual media and prepare and disseminate press releases and articles.
- Design communication products and coordinate communication campaigns in compliance to FAO guidelines on communication and media reach, ensuring clear, coherent and consistent communication about the strategic focus and activities of the FAO-KSA Programme in Saudi Arabia.
- Build and maintain professional relations with local media representatives in Saudi Arabia and cultivate opportunities and contribute to the establishment of partnerships with national institutions including private sector and influential persons as well as with UN agencies.
- Manage media relations responding to enquiries, developing and managing media outreach plans as required, and ensuring that material for the media can be readily used by the media and understood by the public.
- Plan, prepare and facilitate press conferences, media briefings and interviews for FAO staff and arrange for media visits to FAO-KSA field programme operations.
- Ensure a complete monitoring of print, broadcast and on-line media coverage of FAO-KSA programme and report on issues of interest and importance to the Organization as it happens and on weekly basis.
- Coordinate, facilitate and oversee the production of KSA-FAO programme through publication workflow system (PWS) and oversee production of photos, videos and information material about FAO-KSA Programme activities.
- Create database for designs, videos and reports to facilitate knowledge building and management focusing on the achievement of the FAO-KSA programme and its results, following FAO guidelines and in coordination with the photo and video teams in HQ.
- Prepare and create the content for Saudi Arabia webpage on RNE website and ensure consistency of the materials.
- Follow up plans for the programme’s contribution in SOMI and support the sub-regional office’s communication needs when requested by the Regional Communication Office.
- Develop FAO-KSA programme visual branding and identity aligned with FAO corporate branding and visual identity.
- Perform other related duties as required.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- BSc/BA in public relations, communications or relevant field.
- Five years of relevant experience in communication and media relations.
- Working knowledge of MS Office; photo and video-editing software is an asset.
- Working knowledge of English and Arabic languages.
- National of Saudi Arabia.
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus.
- Building Effective Relationships.
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement.
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable.
- Extent and relevance of experience in technical cooperation-related activities, policy advice and analysis relating to food and nutrition security, agriculture and rural development, monitoring and evaluation of policies and programmes.
- Extent and relevance of experience in communication, media production and design, and public relations.
- Extent and relevance of experience in working with intergovernmental bodies and multidisciplinary teams.
- FAO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing)
- Incomplete applications will not be considered. If you need help please contact: Careers@fao.org
- Applications received after the closing date will not be accepted
- Only language proficiency certificates from UN accredited external providers and/or FAO language official examinations (LPE, ILE, LRT) will be accepted as proof of the level of knowledge of languages indicated in the online applications
- For additional employment opportunities visit the FAO employment website: http://www.fao.org/employment/home/en/