Reproductive Health Officer
Bidibidi - Yumbe District
Founded in 1933, the International Rescue Committee (www.rescue.org) is a world leader in relief, rehabilitation and post-conflict development services for those uprooted or affected by violent conflict and oppression. The IRC is currently working in over 40 countries around the world, addressing both the immediate and lifesaving needs of conflict affected people in emergencies and the reconstruction needs of post-conflict societies.
The IRC began programming in northern Uganda in 1998 in response to mass displacement and devastation wrought by rebel group, the Lord’s Resistance Army. In 2002, the IRC expanded to the remote, conflict-affected region of Karamoja and in 2011, began working with refugees in Kampala. Monitoring the influx of South Sudanese refugees at the end of 2015, the IRC began scaling up its response to refugees arriving in the West Nile region. By promoting durable solutions that deliver on the interdependent aims of saving lives, strengthening institutions, and supporting social cohesion, the IRC in Uganda is laying the building blocks for long-term stability and development –bringing people from harm to home. The IRC currently works in 9 districts in Uganda, including Kitgum, Lamwo, Kyegegwa, Moroto, Amudat, Yumbe, Arua, Kasese and Kampala. The IRC will be moving into additional/new locations in refugee settlements in Kiryandongo and Zombo.
The IRC is currently implementing its health and nutrition program in West Nile and Acholi focusing on providing primary health care services to refugees in their settlements. Similar services will be extended to the new locations starting January 2020.
Job Overview/ Summary:
The Reproductive Health Officer will be based in Yumbe and shall be responsible for giving oversight, guidance and co-ordination of the Reproductive Health activities within Bidibidi refugee settlement.
S/he analyses and assesses relevant political, reproductive health, family planning and social trends and provides substantive inputs to project formulation and evaluation, joint programming initiatives and national development frameworks. S/He will organize and perform all activities necessary for the smooth and successful implementation of the IRC outputs and activities in the area of Reproductive Health in the following areas of responsibility:
Policy Analysis and Advisory Services:
- In collaboration with Government counterparts, NGOs and other partners, contributes substantively to the formulation and design of the activities in the field of reproductive health/family planning in line with Government of Uganda, Ministry of Health policies and procedures.
- Analyzes and interprets the policy and socio-economic environment relevant to reproductive health and identifies opportunities for IRC assistance and intervention.
- Keeps abreast of new policy developments and strategies, analyzing policy papers, strategy documents, national plans and development frameworks, and prepares briefs and inputs for policy dialogue, technical assistance coordination, and development frameworks, both narrative and indicator-related.
- Provide expertise and advice in the development of partnerships with stakeholders at the district, national and regional level, including private sector, developing concept notes, work plans, advocacy materials and organization of regional and national workshops.
- Helps create and document knowledge about current and emerging population development trends, Reproductive Health (RH) and gender issues, by analyzing program, projects, strategies, approaches and ongoing experience for lessons learned, best practices, and shares with management for use in knowledge sharing and planning future strategies.
- Assists advocacy and resource mobilization efforts of Country Office by preparing relevant documentation, i.e. project summaries, conference papers, speeches, donor profiles, and participating in donor meetings and public information events.
Project implementation services:.
Provides overall coordination and administration of the RH project activities to ensure that the implementation of the project(s) complies with the approved work plans and budgets.
- Liaises and interacts will all partners, vendors and service providers within the project(s) on all matters related to the project implementation for the timely, successful and efficient implementation of all activities planned under the project(s).
- Coordinates the project activities with the activities of other stakeholders working in the same area in order to avoid activity duplication and ensure cost effectiveness of the project implementation.
- Prepares, updates, implements and monitors the calendar activity plans for the project(s) based on the approved annual work plan(s).
- Analyzes the project implementation, identifies possible implementation obstacles and suggests solutions.
- Ensures visibility of the project implementation through public relations, advocacy, working with the mass media and other communications activities.
- Prepares and submits to donors the reporting documents related to project(s) managed, including reports and monitoring data.
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
Deadline for receiving applications is July 19th,2021