Technical Specialists for CCR Module (Various profiles)
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
- FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, background, and culture
- Qualified female applicants, qualified nationals of non-and under-represented member nations, and person with disabilities are encouraged to apply
- Everyone who works for FAO is required to adhere to the highest standards of integrity and professional conduct and to uphold our values. FAO has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and FAO, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority, and discrimination
- All selected candidates, therefore, will undergo rigorous reference and background checks
- All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
- The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization
The FAO Regional office for Asia and the Pacific support member countries in the development of knowledge products, capacity development and implementation of programmes and projects in food security, agriculture, rural development, natural resource management and agro-processing in developing countries and countries in transition, assisting governments and country stakeholders, main development partners, regional and national institutions with the policy and strategic planning to achieve food security and nutrition, make agriculture, forestry and fisheries more sustainable and productive, reduce rural poverty, make food value chains more efficient and inclusive and promote climate change adaptation and/or mitigation.
The purpose of this call is to provide the FAO Regional office for Asia Pacific in the region with a list of qualified candidates for a number of profiles with different technical specializations as indicated below. The contract can be home based with required travel for field missions.
Requested Profiles (or Job Titles):
- Climate Finance Specialist
- Climate Change Impact, Vulnerability and Risk Assessment Specialist
- Climate Information and Agro-meteorological Services Specialist
- Disaster Risk Management Specialist
- Anticipatory Action Specialist
- Shock-Responsive Social Protection Specialist
- Global Environmental Facility Programme and Project Development Specialist
- Green Climate Fund Programme and Project Development Specialist
- Environmental and Social Safeguards Specialist
- Climate Change Transparency Specialist
- Financial and Economic Analyst
- Gender and Indigenous People Specialist
- Communications Specialist (part-time)
The Technical Specialist will work under the overall technical supervision of the FAO Regional Representative and the direct supervision of a RAP Officer, in close collaboration with the FAO Representation in the relevant country of assignment.
Provision of technical advice or expertise and capacity development for (i) provision of policy advice to member countries in collaboration with IFI and other partners; (ii) the design of investment operations, in collaboration with country stakeholders and cooperating partners, to mobilize resources for food security, nutrition, agriculture, rural development, natural resource management and climate change adaptation and/or mitigation; and (iii) implementation support and evaluation of investment operations, in accordance with the FAO Strategic Framework.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Lead, or participate in, multidisciplinary teams to assist governments in the identification, assessment and preparation of investment operations (regional and country level) in the fields of environment/natural resource management and climate change adaptation and/or mitigation.
- Advise and provide technical expertise in developing innovative and sustainable financing mechanisms to implement the investment operations, targeting the Global Environment Facility (GEF), the Green Climate Fund (GCF), Adaptation Fund (AF) and other financing windows including the private sector.
- Provide advice and technical expertise in the analysis of climate change impacts on agriculture, natural resources and ecosystems, vulnerability and risk assessments, and the preparation of sound justifications for funding proposals for the GCF, AF, GEF and other windows.
- Advise on developing, or support the development, of sustainable climate information system and agro-meteorological services, involving different government agencies, end-users, especially farmers, private sector actors and other stakeholders.
- Advise on developing, or lead the support to countries in developing and implementing disaster risk management (DRM) initiatives that are coherent and integral to building resilient agri-food systems, including but not limited to, building capacity of the agriculture sectors to plan for multi-hazard (natural, climate, biological, conflict) risk management, strengthening damage and loss information system, developing options to address the humanitarian-development-peace nexus.
- Provide expertise on creating early warning systems (drawing on hydrometeorological information, seasonal and vulnerability) for anticipatory action for various climate risks (drought, typhoons, floods etc.)
- Provide expertise on Anticipatory Action to support capacity building of countries offices and the mainstreaming of the approach into FAO’s Emergency and Resilience framework including the gathering of lessons learned and best practices.
- Provide technical advice on developing systems to support regular monitoring and reporting requirements under the UNFCCC Paris Agreement’s Enhanced Transparency Framework including preparation of GHG inventories, developing robust systems for monitoring, reporting and verification of mitigation activities and monitoring and reporting adaptation activities.
- Technically support the implementation of Anticipatory Action in high-risk countries though the development of protocols, and exploration of flexible financing mechanisms to enable action.
- Lead or participate in multi-disciplinary teams to provide advice and technical support to countries in developing shock-responsive social protection that can deliver Anticipatory Action and contribute to strengthening resilience of livelihoods to disaster and climate change.
- Lead the formulation, or formulate, GEF, GCF, AF concept notes and funding proposals
- Prepare background reports for these concept notes and funding proposals, in accordance with government and financing partners’ requirements.
- Lead assessments and develop environment and social safeguard plans, gender and Indigenous People plans, activities and budgets, as part of programme and project proposals and capacity building for implementation.
- Provide Financial and Economic Analysis and support to develop budget for investment operations, in support of developing funding proposals, in line with FAO and financial partners requirements.
- Promote international cooperation and collaboration leading to new investment opportunities and cooperative agreements, advocating best practices and effective policy dialogue.
- Provide expertise on communication strategies and coordinate the collection of meulti-media material from country offices as well as lead the writing of articles, press releases and social media outputs.
- Perform other related duties as required.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- University degree in natural resources management, climate change, climatology, disaster risk management, economics, agricultural and environmental economics, agribusiness management, international relations or a related field as appropriate for the specific profile.
- From seven to fifteen years of relevant experience in analytical studies, and/or in planning, design, supervision of natural resources management, climate change adaptation and mitigation, disaster risk management, agricultural and rural projects and programmes, including in developing countries and/or countries in transition
- Working knowledge of English, French or Spanish and limited knowledge of one of the other two or Arabic, Chinese, Russian (for consultants). Working knowledge of English, French, Spanish, Arabic or Russian (for PSAs).
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Extent and relevance of experience in the formulation of programmes/projects and financial strategies.
- Extent and relevance of experience in preparation of sector studies as well as formulation, implementation support or evaluation of natural resource management, climate change adaptation and/or mitigation, disaster risk management activities
- Extent and relevance of experience in performing climate change impact and vulnerability and risk assessments, developing climate information, agro-meteorological services and other support tools and analyses in support of climate change mitigation and adaptation and resilience building activities.
- Extent and relevance of experience in due diligence of programmes/projects in food security, nutrition, agriculture, rural development, natural resource management and climate change adaptation and/or mitigation including but not limited to environmental and social safeguards, gender equality and Indigenous People
- Extent and relevance of experience in development of technical knowledge products, project design and implementation
- Extent and relevance of experience in capacity development for the design and implementation of food security, nutrition, agriculture, rural development, natural resource management, climate change adaptation and/or mitigation and disater risk management investments
- Demonstrated experience in dealing with government officials, development partners, the private sector and other country level stakeholders;
- Relevance of experience in different geographical areas.
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency