Field Coordinator. Location: Ukraine
Médicos del Mundo has been operating in Ukraine since August 2015 and is currently implementing an emergency response and recovery program in the Eastern part of Ukraine (Luhansk and Donetsk oblast, government and non-government-controlled areas – GCAs and NGCAs). The program is implemented around three main components: direct delivery of services through multidisciplinary mobile units (including primary healthcare services (PHC), sexual and reproductive health (SRH), Mental Health and Psychosocial support services (MHPSS) and gender-based violence (GBV) response services) and strengthening of local health system (with a specific focus on PHC, SRH, MHPSS and GBV) through capacity building of health and non-health staff, awareness raising and advocacy. In addition, MdM support the health system in response to COVID-19 pandemics in Eastern Ukraine.
The Field Coordinator ensures the overall supervision of the field team in Luhansk region and close collaboration and coordination between different departments. He/she ensure smooth implementation of the project in Government Controlled Area (GCA) and Non- Government Controlled Area (NGCA), in line with MdM and donor standards and regulations. He/she is also responsible for the security and safety of staff under his/her responsibility and ensures close coordination with relevant stakeholders in the region.
GEOGRAPHICAL SCOPE OF INTERVENTION:
The successful candidate will be based in Severodonetsk (Eastern Ukraine), with frequent travels.
The Field Coordinator reports directly to the General Coordinator.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSABILITIES
• Ensure adequate information flow between the different teams and conduct regular and documented meetings for planning and reporting purposes.
• Oversee and coordinate the general functioning of the base and all departments / services.
• Create/maintain a good “team spirit” within the different departments and amongst the staff and a positive working environment.
• Ensure good collaboration, mutualisation, coordination and analysis with other projects if needed.
• Train/support the team members in the performance of their duty.
• Ensure good planning and implementation, create tools, support team communication, efficiency and effectiveness.
• Ensure the implementation of the program in Luhansk oblast GCA and NGCA and its follow-up in its different aspects: logistical, administrative and program.
• Continuously assess the needs and adjust the programmes accordingly, in collaboration with the coordination team.
• Contribute to the definition / revision of MDM strategy in Ukraine, identification design and writing of proposals, and support the budget creation/revision for future/new activities in collaboration with the coordination team and relevant departments.
• Contribute to donor and other reporting as requested by the General Coordinator.
• Ensure a good knowledge and understanding of donors compliance rules, ensuring all projects are in line with these and MdM procedures.
• Ensure appropriate administrative, financial and logistical MdM systems/procedures are in place (with AdminCo and LogCo support), maintained and adhered to so that all support functions are carried out effectively and efficiently.
• Ensure regular communications are maintained between the different departments and act as a mediator when necessary.
• Ensure accurate budget monitoring and financial forecasts at the project site in line with project proposals.
• Monitor expenditure and budget compliance on a regular basis, report any concerns to the Administrative Coordinator and develop plans to mitigate any under or over expenditure at project level.
• Ensure, in coordination with the Administrative and Finance Coordinator, that financial needs are well planned according to activities workplan.
Human Resource Management:
• Contribute to recruitment and selection of staff.
• Maintain good communications between teams, create good team dynamics, and take suitable action when problems occur.
• Support team members professionally.
• Carry out appraisals as per MdM standard requirements and procedures.
• Ensure all new team members are adequately briefed on arrival in the field, and departing team members are debriefed.
• Ensure capacity building and training of national personnel in collaboration with all technical coordinators.
• Conduct regular team building activities.
• Take disciplinary and grievance measures for the team under his/her line management, when relevant, in coordination with the Administrative Coordinator.
• Represent MdM towards other NGOs, UN agencies, local government bodies, donors and other relevant parties in agreement with the General Coordinator.
• Participate on a regular basis in all relevant meetings, collaborate and build strong relationships with all partners working in the area. Report to the General Coordinator.
Safety and Security Management:
• Ensure the team security and safety compliance with security regulations for the staff under her/his responsibility in accordance with MDM security plan & procedures.
• Proactively monitor the political, humanitarian and security situation in the project areas and update the Logistics Coordinator and General Coordinator accordingly in a timely manner.
• Ensure that appropriate security guidelines are developed, communicated, adhered to, and regularly reviewed in colaboration with the Logistics Coordinator and General Coordinator.
• Ensure timely and accurate security / incident reports are sent to the Logistics Coordinator and General Coordinator.
This list of activities is not exhaustive and may change depending on the situation.
BACKGROUND AND SKILLS:
Academic background required: University degree or diploma.
Desirable: Master´s degree in in International Cooperation / Public Health / Humanitarian Aid.
Other qualifications: Project management and Human Resources.
Language requirements: Fluent English (written and spoken). An important asset: Russian/Ukrainian.
Computer requirements: Office pack user level.
• Experience with an international NGO working in fragile contexts, managing programmes, preferably within the health sector.
• Previous experience of project planning and budget management; proposal and report writing.
• Knowledge and understanding of project management tools (Logical Framework analysis, project cycle management, objectives and indicators etc.).
• Strong leadership skills and a supportive management style (experience managing staff).
• Experience of security management at field level.
• Confident and proficient in the use of MS Office.
• Ability to work under a minimum of supervision.
• Reactivity, anticipation, adaptability, capacity to take initiatives.
• Strong problem solving and organisational skills in day to day and crisis situations.
• Strong communication (written and spoken) and interpersonal skills with experience in managing a diverse team.
• Team spirit and networking skills.
• Cultural awareness and adaptability.
• Strict compliance with the safety protocols established for the country and MdM mission.
• Alignment with principles and ethics of Medicos del Mundo.
• Identification with the lines of work, values and mission of Médicos del Mundo.
Contract length: 1 year.
Medicos del Mundo’s Salary charts.