Security Risk Management Delegate Afghanistan – seconded to ICRC
The Norwegian Red Cross is part of the Red Cross Red Crescent (RCRC) Movement, the world’s largest humanitarian network with millions of volunteers and staff operating in 190 countries. Our mission is to alleviate human suffering, protect life and health, and uphold human dignity especially during armed conflicts and other emergencies. To achieve this, we follow the seven humanitarian principles; Humanity, Impartiality, Neutrality, Independence, Voluntary Service, Unity and Universality. **
The main priority for the Norwegian Red Cross in Afghanistan is to enhance the provision of sustainable quality primary health care for maternal, newborn and child health including mental health and disability services in areas where other entities struggle to deliver such services. Norwegian Red Cross also supports hospitals providing treatment of injuries and the establishment of capacitated mobile surgical teams. Additionally, we support the integration of water and sanitation services in health programs to ensure preventive health care for the most vulnerable communities in the country. To ensure staff and volunteers remain safe from harm, the Norwegian Red Cross integrates protection into logistics and health programming by using safer access methodologies.
The purpose of this position is to strengthen ICRCs support to Afghan Red Crescent Society (ARCS) on Security and Risk Management in order to sustainably improve the National Society security and access thereby contributing to increasing the overall Movement response capacity.
The overall responsibility as Security Risk Management Delegate Afghanistan includes:
· a specific focus on advising the ICRC delegation on its capacity strengthening support on Security and Risk Management to ARCS. He/she will play a key role in promoting ways to strengthen ARCS´s operational capacity related to their access, acceptance and security particular on “operational security and risk management”,
· work with and support the ARCS Safer Access Framework(SAF)/ Healthcare in Danger (HCiD) steering committee and for his purpose, closely coordinate with the ICRC SAF focal person and liaise with ICRC relevant departments.
· liaison with the Federation and Partner National Societies (PNS) with in-country presence to ensure alignment of any security management support extended to the ARCS. S/he has a critical role in supporting the ICRC Movement Cooperation Coordinator in maintaining Movement coherent approach. ICRC – Federation-PNS relationship in the field of Security Risk Management
· reporting to the Cooperation coordinator. S/he closely works with ICRC SAF focal person within ICRC Cooperation team and liaises with other key staff in the ICRC Delegation in Afghanistan such as, the Health Care in Danger, Health and Protection staff to promote further synergies.
Some mission specifics:
· Provide relevant technical support within Safer Access (SAF) to the ARCS, ICRC and other Movement partners, in coordination with ICRC cooperation team. **
· Contribute to the implementation of the ICRC cooperation strategy and objectives related to Safer Access Framework. **
· Give support to the implementation of the ARCS Safer Access assessment Action plan. **
· Provide and conduct in-country mentoring / training for ARCS, ICRC and other Movement partners staff on the ARCS security management framework**
· Develop suitable monitoring mechanisms and indicators to measure outcomes of security and risk management investment towards the ARCS. **
· Work closely with the ARCS Safety and Security Director to ensure that relevant actions are included in the ARCS programs and activities. **
· Establishes an ARCS regional/provincial network of support and learning platforms among the ARCS Branches focal persons to promote the exchange of learning and peer-to-peer support and exchange**
· Engage with Movement partners to include and or integrate certain security risk management elements into their National Society Development approaches.**
· Capture and document security risk management good practices**
We seek a person who;
· adheres to company rules and procedures; execute plans with commitment and determination; achieves high quality results
· creates a stable and re-assuring work atmosphere; supports and encourages team in difficult times; is firm and reliable
· builds a useful network of contacts and relationships and utilizes it to achieve objectives
· makes an impact; convinces and persuades others; promotes plans and ideas successfully
· focuses on bottom-line results, identifies potential risks and monitors the financial impact of own activities
· provides team with a clear sense of direction, inspires and co-ordinates others and keep them focused on objectives
· Higher education / relevant university master degree(the latter can be compensated by significant field-based work experience)**
· 5 years of experience in the humanitarian or development sector including in highly insecure contexts.
· Specialised level of knowledge in the Safer Access Framework and exposure to its application in a variety of contexts.
· Operational experience in a diverse range of insecure contexts (South Asia experience beneficial).
· 3 years of experience in working with the Red Cross and Red Crescent in the areas of NS Security and Risk Management, Development, Disaster Management operations and practical application of Safer Access to the operations.
· Fluent written and spoken English, Dari or Pashtu are an asset
· International driving license (manual gear) is required.
Collaboration with Norwegian Red Cross Country Programme Manager Afghanistan
The position is based in:
12 months’ contract, possible with an extension
Why should you apply?
· Meaningful: You'll be a part of the world's largest humanitarian organization, reaching the most vulnerable people in their local community.
· Impact: You will help the National Society in the country to become a strong, self-sustained and accountable humanitarian actor.
· Career: You will be connected to an international organization with staff based all over the world.
· A great place to work: You will work in a multicultural environment with hard-working, dedicated and fun colleagues with a strong culture of collaboration, continual improvement, and celebration of wins.
Norwegian Red Cross striving to build a working culture based on respect, honesty and generosity.
We do a thorough background check on relevant candidates.