Infrastructure and Project Management Manager
Bangui (Non Family duty station)
Background Information - Job-specific
Citizen from Central African Republic (1) who are residing outside of CAR at the time of application (2) who have been living there for five years or more (3) who are fulfilling the requirement's stated on this job advert are strongly encouraged to apply.
The Central African Republic (CAR) Country Office has a growing portfolio of over 100 million USD in projects, with more than 100 personnel. The portfolio of the CAR Country Office reflects that of its Multi Country Office in that it ranges from infrastructure rehabilitation and construction to multi-sectoral projects for social protection and peace and security.
The Infrastructure and Project Management Manager will be part of the UNOPS Programme/ Project Management Office team and will provide advice and support to all infrastructure projects across the different offices.
The Infrastructure and Project Manager will report to the Country Manager .
Background information - DR Congo
Support infrastructure Project Managers plan and coordinate work activities.
Review Bill of Quantities (BoQ) prior to procurement actions, when needed
Support Project Managers develop and monitor their respective Quality, Health and Safety, Environment plans.
Support Project Managers provide data and information about project work for reporting purposes.
Provide monthly reports to the Country Manager and the Project Management Office in Kinshasa summarizing all project matters including quality, health and safety, environmental, as well as any issues relating to possible delays, cost overruns, variations and any other matter related to infrastructure projects
2. Feasibility study/needs assessment
Support Project Managers complete needs assessment, organize preliminary studies and monitor/supervise consultants.
Support the review of requests for new construction and rehabilitation works.
Review assessments and reports with recommendations for follow up actions.
Assist the Project Manager in redacting the tender dossier, with particular focus to the technical documents (drawings, BoQ, technical specification and standards)
3. Design Management
Assist the Project managers to outline design requirements (e.g. timeline) to procure design services, including concept, preliminary and final stages where applicable.
Assist the Project Managers to manage the design plan ensuring deliverables are available on time, and to the required quality.
Support project teams to conduct preliminary reviews of designs for completeness and accuracy.
Assist the procurement team with technical assistance in preparation of tender documentation and bid analysis where required.
4. Construction supervision
Ensure consistency in project documentation (implementation Plan, Schedules, Quality Management Plan,etc)
Verify that works are consistent with the project technical specifications and inform promptly of eventual deviations.
Support the overall management of works implementation to ensure construction works are completed on time, within budget and to quality standards.
Provide spot checks of supervision of the project work progress and quality for on time delivery.
Assist the Project Managers in the preparation of project/contracts related documentations such as periodic progress reports, site monitoring reports, stakeholder meeting minutes, engineer’s instructions and variation orders, contractor’s bills review reports, certifications, client hand-over documents and contracts close-out reports.
5. Project management
- Development and planning – support Project Management Office (PMO) team in Kinshasa to provide appropriate levels of programmatic management to projects in CAR, regarding all ongoing project activities, while maintaining and implementing appropriate standards and best practices in line with UNOPS policies and procedures.
- Consult and collaborate with colleagues and partners to ensure linkages, consistency, and harmonisation of approaches and compliance with guidelines, framework and standards of accountability, integrity and performance.
- Ensure proactive programme and project risk identification and assessment and implementation of adequate mitigation measures.
- Work closely with the partnership person to ensure and facilitate the capture of lessons learnt from programme and project implementation into new opportunities and engagement development, as well as the adequate identification of risks and mitigation measures
- Set-up and closure – support all project closure activities
Monitoring and reporting - regularly review project status, quality , evaluating performance criteria
Quality assurance - help ensure compliance with UNOPS defined standards for programme/project management
Assist in providing training and technology transfer to national personnel and contractor’s personnel and advice on good construction practices, good environmental management practices, and appropriate health and safety standards during construction
Contribute to the dissemination and sharing of best practices and lessons learned for development planning and knowledge building.
- A Master’s degree in Civil Engineering or related field is required.
- A Bachelor Degree in Civil Engineering or related field with two (2) additional years of relevant professional experience may be accepted in lieu of a Master’s degree.
- AutoCAD certification is desirable.
- Project Management certification (for example PRINCE2® Foundation) is desirable
- A minimum of five (5) years of experience in civil engineering or construction management is required.
- A minimum of three (3) years of experience in project management is required.
- Experience in providing advice and oversight is desirable
- Work experience in post-conflict/ fragile environments is desirable.
- Some experience in the UN system organizations and/or a developing country is desirable.
- Fluency in both French and English is required
|Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.(for levels IICA-2, IICA-3, LICA Specialist- 10, LICA Specialist-11, NOC, NOD, P3, P4 and above)|
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: International Individual Agreement (IICA)Contract level: I-ICA2 (ICS-10)
Contract duration: Ongoing ICA - Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC IS A NON DUTY FAMILY MISSION
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
- CANDIDATES WITH NO UN OR UNOPS EXPERIENCE ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns.
Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.