Manager, COVID-19 Response
Manager, COVID-19 Response
- New Delhi
- Full Time
- Program (Division)
- Country Programs - India
The Clinton Health Access Initiative, Inc. (CHAI) is a global health organization committed to saving lives and reducing the burden of disease in low-and middle-income countries, while strengthening the capabilities of governments and the private sector in those countries to create and sustain high-quality health systems that can succeed without our assistance. For more information, please visit: http://www.clintonhealthaccess.org
CHAI in partnership with its India affiliate, William J. Clinton Foundation's (WJCF) has been working in India since 2004 in close partnership with and under the guidance of the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (MoHFW) at the central and state levels on an array of high priority initiatives aimed at improving health outcomes. Currently, CHAI/WJCF programs, supports government initiatives on HIV/AIDS, Hepatitis-C, tuberculosis, cancer, immunisation, and health financing. Additionally, CHAI/WJCF supports many state governments on large-scale programs to arrest childhood and maternal mortality due to malnutrition, anaemia, diarrhoea and pneumonia, and helping increase access to quality family planning services.
The world has not experienced a pandemic at the scale or pace of the current COVID-19 pandemic; the virus has ferociously attacked high- and low-income countries alike, but in so doing has exposed inequities in access to quality care within and across countries. Despite a proactive mitigation and stringent suppression strategy, COVID continues to be impact and disrupt lives. While the indirect impacts of the COVID-19 on availability and utilization of routine health services cannot yet be known, lessons from previous crises suggest that service disruption and displacement will have grave impact on population health. In order to address these challenges, a robust response based on strengthened health workforce, resilient supply chains and rapid increase in diagnostic capacity is being spearheaded by the Ministry of Health and the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR).
The Manager, COVID-19 Response will be responsible for driving program strategy at the national level by collaborating closely with ICMR and MoHFW and at the state level for all focus states. This role entails a combination of strategy building, implementation management, team management, and high degree of stakeholder engagement. As the leader for a program devoted to an extremely critical and rapidly evolving health emergency, the Manager will build and execute the program’s approach for expanding testing and treatment for focus partners governments while handling epidemiology and policy uncertainty to tackle short term crises and craft long term roadmaps for robust system-based improvements. Importantly, the Manager will lead the team to leverage key policy, financing, and implementation initiatives by the national and state governments for responding to the pandemic. Based out of Delhi, the Manager will lead a high calibre team across multiple locations for achieving access goals and report to the Program Director.
We seek a highly qualified and motivated individual with strong analytical, quantitative, and strategy development skills and an exemplary record of leadership and management. The successful candidate will have excellent communications skills, be able to function independently with flexibility in a dynamic and often uncertain situation, be self-motivated, can thrive in challenging environments, and have a strong commitment to excellence. The successful candidate will also to be adept at coordinating the operations of cross-functional and multi-location teams and have a strong commitment to excellence. We place great value on relevant personal qualities: resourcefulness, responsibility, tenacity, independence, energy, and work ethic.
- Develop and oversee the strategic direction and implementation of the COVID-19 program, ensuring consistent improvements in equitable access based on and support to government-led initiatives.
- Nuture and scale up new initiatives that help improve access to testing and treatment through the national and state engagements.
- Create an enabling environment with the government and partners for the team to deliver on objectives.
- Coordinate with the other teams to exchange ideas and ensure timely delivery and progress on the envisaged operational plans.
- Build and maintain trust-based relationships with MoHFW, ICMR, other government stakeholders and key partners at a senior level.
- Play the high-level representational role with the government, donors, partners, and other stakeholders at the national and state levels.
- Provide strategic insight at technical working groups and/or other high-level meetings/conferences as a senior level representative of the organization.
- Lead, guide, and mentor a high-powered and multi-location team of motivated and entrepreneurial colleagues.
- Build the program by continually developing capacity and skills of staff, identifying human resources needs and leading recruitment of new team members.
- Undertake donor and grant management and manage the operations and finances of the program to meet deliverables within the appropriate time frames.
- Work with leadership to further the scope of the program and identify news areas where the organization can deliver value.
- Undertake any other duties as requested by the Program Director.
- 8 to 12 years of experience in a demanding result driven environment in the private or public sector, with increasing levels of responsibility and leadership.
- Master’s degree in business administration, management sciences, public health with exceptional problem-solving solving skills and analytical capabilities.
- Demonstrated success in coordinating various stakeholders/interests (public sector engagement would be highly relevant) and developing strong relationships in order to drive a process successfully.
- Exceptional diplomacy and interpersonal skills, demonstrated ability to build strong professional relationships with a range of stakeholders in a challenging, multi-cultural environment.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including ability to create persuasive presentations and written reports.
- Demonstrated experience managing complex projects involving multiple teams, including priority setting, planning, budgeting, performance review and management; and influencing with limited authority.
- Ability to balance and find productive trade-offs between various tensions (personal style, incentives, timeframe).
- High emotional intelligence, patience and thoughtfulness even in high-pressure, stressful situations.
- Fluency in English and Hindi.
- Prior experience of working in management consulting and/or public health especially governance, systems strengthening, financing and /or management of operations at sub- national level, or similar fast-paced, output-oriented environments.
- Strong experience of engaging with government officials and multilateral organizations.
- Knowledge of health systems strengthening and/or development/social sector consulting experience.