- Full Time
- Program (Division)
- Country Programs - India
- Additional Location Description
The Clinton Health Access Initiative, Inc. (CHAI) is a global health organization committed to saving lives and reducing the burden of disease in low-and middle-income countries, while strengthening the capabilities of governments and the private sector in those countries to create and sustain high-quality health systems that can succeed without our assistance. For more information, please visit: http://www.clintonhealthaccess.org
The William J Clinton Foundation (WJCF, India), an affiliate of CHAI, has been working in India in close partnership with and under the guidance of the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (MoHFW) at both the Central and States’ levels on an array of high priority initiatives aimed at improving health outcomes for people living with HIV/AIDS, TB, Hep C, Cancer and Immunization; providing effective care and treatment for children suffering from malnutrition, diarrhoea, pneumonia, and malaria; and helping increase access to quality family planning services. WJCF focuses on improving market dynamics for medicines and diagnostics, lowering prices for treatment, accelerating access to life-saving technologies, and helping build capacity required for high-quality care and treatment programs.
With an estimated annual mortality of ~800,000 and an incidence of more than 1.7 million new cases in 2020 (source: PBCR Report, ICMR), cancer has rapidly grown into one of the leading drivers of mortality and morbidity in India. Cervical cancer, with an annual mortality of ~60,000 and an incidence of ~100,000 (source: ICMR), is the second most common cancer among women in India. Approximately, 90% of cervical cancer cases are detected at a late (stage III and above), leading to a high Mortality Incidence Ratio (MIR of more than 60%). Five-year survival rate for early-stage cervical cancer is 73.2%, whereas the prognosis for advanced stage is poor, with five-year survival rate at 7.9%. Low awareness, limited availability of trained human resources and technology for treatment, broken referral systems and inadequate monitoring are key barriers in access to quality cancer care.
CHAI has initiated a program on secondary prevention of cervical cancer through improving access to and strengthening screening and treatment (of pre-cancerous cervical lesions) services. The program is currently being implemented in the state of Madhya Pradesh, where CHAI is supporting the state government
- build capacity on cervical cancer screening and treatment of cervical pre-cancerous lesions,
- catalyse deployment of technology / treatment devices and decentralize treatment of cervical pre-cancerous lesions,
- ensure availability of essential commodities and infra to enable screening and treatment,
- strengthen reporting and referral mechanisms to monitor program impact and ensure positively screened beneficiaries receive appropriate care and treatment,
- create awareness to mobilize beneficiaries for cancer screening.
The program is embedded in the state government program on improving management of non-communicable diseases including common cancers. CHAI intends to leverage learnings from the program to inform discourse and policy on cervical cancer and support scale-up of such initiatives across select states in India.
The India cancer access program seeks an Associate who can shoulder the responsibilities of working closely with senior leadership on project strategy and contributing to the program's deliverables. CHAI seeks a highly motivated, entrepreneurial individual with outstanding analytical skills, problem-solving ability and communication skills. The Associate must be able to function independently, be comfortable working and coordinating the operations of cross-functional teams, be flexible, and have a strong commitment to excellence. CHAI places great value on relevant personal qualities: resourcefulness, responsibility, tenacity, independence, energy, and work ethic. Key responsibilities for the position are outlined below:
- Build and maintain trust-based relationships and collaborations with government partners in Madhya Pradesh, key institutions and developmental partners, and other relevant stakeholders to expand access to quality cancer care.
- Spearhead programmatic activities in areas of capacity building, demand generation, improving access to treatment technologies.
- Monitoring implementation of programmatic activities in the identified program areas. Engage with, supervise and guide the field team in implementation of programmatic activities in respective geographies
- Support in design and implementation of processes, systems for collection, collation, and synthesis of program data to inform program strategy, operations, and reviews.
- Support in the overall grant management process including sharing inputs or drafting donor update reports including progress monitoring, budget utilization, risk assessments and sustainability structures.
- Aid and support other aspects of the cancer program by working closely with the CHAI program teams at the state, country and global levels
- 5+ years of experience in a demanding, results driven environment such as management consulting
- MBA/MPA/MPP or a Master’s Degree in Economics or related fields
- Exceptional strategic development skills, ability to identify and pursue high-impact strategies in complex, uncertain and evolving environments
- Ability to lead small project teams on diverse set of projects
- Exceptional analytical (quantitative and qualitative) skills with the ability to effectively communicate (orally and in written form) and to tailor communication to a variety of audiences
- Ability to absorb and synthesize a broad range of information, including technical information, and to prepare compelling presentations and reports
- Ability to engage with the field team and key state government stakeholders and community leaders to support demand generation and awareness activities in the community
- Ability to be effective in high-pressure situations, handle multiple tasks simultaneously, and set priorities
- Strong desire to work in a fast-paced, limited-structure, high-pressure, multicultural environment
- Willingness to travel extensively within and outside the program state
- High level of proficiency in Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint and Word
- Fluency in English & Hindi
- Preference would be given to candidates with strong experience in management and/or healthcare or development sector consulting