Regional EMT Training Center Coordinator - Consultant - P5
Addis Ababa (Ethiopia)
Objectives of the Program
The WHO Emergency Medical Teams (EMT) secretariat is mandated to manage the training, capacity building, standard setting and quality assurance processes for the global EMT Initiative and to support countries and regions in coordinating response operations (WHA 70/11).
The EMT Initiative places the focus of the capacity strengthening and response at the local and national levels, supporting national health authorities in their leadership role, and leverages countries’ national capacities to support each other. WHO supports the coordination of teams at the Regional and global level.
Given the high number of health emergencies occurring in the region, the objective of the EMT training center is to enhance the technical skills of Emergency Medical Team members, and other clinical care management personnel, in the management of severely sick and critical patients of COVID-19 and other diseases, using conventional training and simulation centres. In the longer term, the aim may transition towards improving the timeliness and quality of health services provided by national and international Emergency Medical Teams on all health emergencies and looks to enhance the capacity of national health systems in leading the activation and coordination of this response.
Purpose of the Consultancy
With the ground-breaking and launch of the Africa Regional Emergency Medical Team Training Center in April 2021 , the WHO regional office of Africa is looking for recruitment of a consultant who will coordinate and support the development of a comprehensive Memorandum of understanding between the WHO and the GoE (Government of Ethiopia) in the operations and the overall “running” of the EMT and the implementation of the planned activities of the EMT regional center.
The consultant will work under the direct managerial supervision of the WHO representative in Ethiopia and under the technical supervision of the Operational Partnerships Lead, designated as the regional EMT training Center focal point at the Regional office of WHO/Africa.
General Functions of the Project Coordinator
- The selected consultant will work closely with WHO AFRO Emergency Response Team the WHO Head quarter EMT (Secretariat) to:
- Lead all organizational, technical and administrative aspects of the WHO/Africa Regional EMT training Centre in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- Develop and implement the strategic vision and operational objectives and programs to support the WHO/Africa Regional EMT training center
- Initiate and roll out training and capacity building actions for national and local EMT in countries in need in the region
- Mobilize the necessary technical and logistics support from the EMT global and regional networks for organizing training and capacity building actions
- Develop training programs and training curriculum for the WHO Africa Region EMT training center
- Develop and implement budgets and operation plans for the center
- Develop effective communication strategy to the Principals and to the stakeholders
- Conduct resource mobilization to ensure smooth operations, continuity, sustainability and predictability of the center
- Develop Monitoring and Evaluation framework for the training center
- As project coordinator, the consultant will be responsible to work closely with other team members on the center to oversee and ensure that;
- Training center implementation plans are prepared comprehensively and timely
- Training center requirements are sourced timely
- Training center implementation plans, schedules and deliverables are fulfilled timely
- Training center implementation reports are prepared and communicated timely
- The consultant will work closely with stakeholders to make communication easy and transparent regarding project issues and decisions on services
- The Program/Project Coordinator will work closely with relevant Federal and Local government authorities to ensure safe and smooth running of the training center
- The Program/Project Coordinator will contribute to the identification and engagement of priorities countries within the Region to be included in the first training phase of the EMT Training Center
Degree in medicine or in other related field with post-graduate training in Public Health, Relief and Humanitarian Affairs, from a recognized university
Training / certification in emergency response management
At least ten years in Emergency Response including at least five years of international experience specifically in the implementation, organization and management of emergency Health, WaSH and Nutrition programs in Africa. Experience of working in emergencies including; conflicts, displaced population including refugees, and internally displaced, diseases outbreaks and malnutrition. Experience of development and implementation of training programs in academic or professional institutions will be highly valued.
Knowledge and proven working experience with Emergency Medical Teams will be an asset. Proven managerial skills and experience in complex emergencies and previous working experience with WHO, ICRC/IFRC, INGOs or national emergency response systems system are suitable as well as previous experience in capacity strengthening of national and international rapid response teams.
Excellent knowledge of English
Good working knowledge of French