Early Childhood Education Intern
Salt Lake City (United States of America)
BACKGROUND: Founded in 1933, the International Rescue Committee is a leading, non-sectarian, non-profit organization providing emergency relief, protection, rehabilitation assistance, resettlement services, and advocacy for refugees and victims of oppression or violent conflict.Domestically, our 26 offices across the U.S. ensure new arrivals have food, shelter, and clothing, and work with refugees to help them gain self-sufficiency.
The Youth Program in Salt Lake City provides wrap-around education and social integration services for refugee youth ages 0-18 years old, including initial school enrollment, college and career readiness programming, and access to early education services in the community.
SCOPE OF INTERN WORK: The Early Education Intern will work under the direction of the Youth Program Coordinator. They will be responsible for coordinating educational services for children ages 0 to 4 who are within the 2 years of IRC case management. The Early Childhood Education Intern will complete enrollment applications for various preschool programs such as Head Start, UPSTART online program, and public school district programs. The Early Education Intern will also provide logistical support to families such as transportation orientation, first day of school assistance, and follow up support.
COMMITMENT: August 30th 2021 – December 17th 2021, 15-20 hours per week
• Screen families for potential participation in preschool programs
• Research available daycare programs and preschools in community
• Enroll new arrivals and active clients in early education services
• Provide logistical support to families such as transportation orientation to program sites
• Act as a liaison for the family at school orientations, parent-teacher meetings, etc.
• Provide follow up support to family as needed
• Ensure proper case noting of services provided
• The intern will gain professional experience in providing case management services to youth and their families in a multicultural context
• The intern will deepen understanding of the benefits and outcomes of early education services
• The intern will gain practical experience of managing and maintaining external partner relationships