Financial Capability Intern
Salt Lake City (United States of America)
BACKGROUND: Founded in 1933, the International Rescue Committee is a leading, non-sectarian, non-profit organization providing emergency relief, protection, rehabilitation assistance, resettlement services, and advocacy for refugees and victims of oppression or violent conflict.Domestically, our 26 offices across the U.S. ensure new arrivals have food, shelter, and clothing, and work with refugees to help them gain self-sufficiency.
Financial Capability Interns will assist IRC Financial Capability Coordinator with daily activities that contribute to the self-sufficiency of refugees, asylees and other humanitarian immigrants in the Salt Lake City area. This may include working individually with clients to build their financial literacy, access financial products, and help resolve some barriers that refugees face with the American financial system.
SCOPE OF INTERN WORK: With oversight from the Financial Capability Coordinator
COMMITMENT: August 30th 2021 - December 17th 2021, 15-20 hours per week
• Assist with Financial/Digital Financial Literacy courses that are taught in a monthly basis in different languages. Topics include:
·Credit and Identity Protection
·Budgeting and Savings
·Banking and Investing (Digital Banking)
·Taxes and Record Keeping
• Support clients with Digital Financial Literacy needs.
• Where relevant, assist in accessing financial products or internal IRC loan products as well with financial coaching under the direction of the Financial Capability Coordinator.
• Coordinate assessments to gain client feedback and report to manager on program improvement initiatives.
• Assist with Hospitality Link program that aids in pairing refugees with employment in the hospitality sector.
1. The intern will gain professional experience in project coordination, program improvement, and data evaluation.
2. Hands on financial coaching and loan experience.
3. Leadership skills in program implementation for New Americans in regard to increasing financial digital literacy and accessing financial products.