Associate, Health Financing
Associate, Health Financing
- Full Time
- Program (Division)
- Country Programs - India
- Additional Location Description
The Clinton Health Access Initiative, Inc. (CHAI) is a global health organization committed to saving lives and reducing the burden of disease in low-and middle-income countries, while strengthening the capabilities of governments and the private sector in those countries to create and sustain high-quality health systems that can succeed without our assistance. For more information, please visit: http://www.clintonhealthaccess.org
CHAI, in partnership with its India affiliate William J Clinton Foundation (WJCF), works in close partnership with and under the guidance of the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (MoHFW) at the Central and States' levels on an array of high priority initiatives aimed at improving health outcomes. Currently, CHAI works across projects to expand access to quality care and treatment for HIV/AIDS, Hepatitis-C (HCV), tuberculosis, cancer, and immunization.
CHAI’s Health Financing program supports governments implementing reforms towards the goal of universal health coverage; ensuring that patients can access the care they need without suffering financial hardship. CHAI staff work closely with Ministries of Health and Finance, as well as government insurance agencies, often with permanent desks in government offices, to build capacity for and support evidence-based decision making. This includes work on the design, implementation and management of large-scale financing reforms to improve health outcomes and address health disparities. A cornerstone of this work is to support governments to set priorities and to improve efficiency in health spending. This includes using evidence to define the benefits package and a process for revision over time, and supporting governments to finance services, and to reliably deliver this package of services through public and private sector.
CHAI is a partner of the International Decision Support Initiative (iDSI) (https://idsihealth.org), a global network of priority setting institutions, universities, think tanks and individuals that aim to support low and middle income countries with the difficult decisions related to priority setting as they move towards Universal Health Coverage.
The Government of India is rolling out one of the largest health insurance schemes in the world through AB-PMJAY. At the request of government leadership, CHAI is supporting design, implementation and improvement of the scheme at both the national and state level. Key areas of technical support include using data analytics for decision making and program management, capacity building at a national and sub-national level and program coordination between centre and states.
CHAI is seeking highly motivated individuals with outstanding credentials, analytical ability, and communication skills to shape the growing health financing program. The candidate will be embedded in the Ayushman Bharat – Haryana Health Protection Agency (AB-HHPA or ‘Haryana SHA’) in Chandigarh to support SHA leadership in the design and implementation of key PMJAY reforms with a focus on evidence based decision making. The candidate must be able to function independently and flexibly and have a strong commitment to excellence. CHAI places great value on relevant personal qualities: resourcefulness, responsibility, tenacity, independence, energy, and work ethic.
Key responsibilities will include, but not be limited to, the following:
- Support the Program Manager to identify and define CHAI's overall strategy within the program area, develop clear operational plans for execution, and continually identify opportunities for CHAI to add value and maximize impact
- Sensitize and create demand for support on data analytics and data use for decision making, working with SHA partners to articulate this need and providing continuity so that best practices and skills are shared and institutionalized within government.
- Support use of evidence to identify gaps in policy and implementation, improving service coverage and adjusting pricing, payment and packages to create an effective health insurance program.
Build capacity within SHA for evidence-based management, including through day to day joint tasks and deliverables as well as trainings on various aspects of the health reforms.
- Support analysis of program data to monitor performance, identify key challenges/bottlenecks and provide solutions
- Identify KPIs and build monitoring dashboards to support effective programmatic decision making
- Support coordination and knowledge sharing on key reforms between states as well as between the centre and state governments on a continuous basis
- Develop and disseminate policy briefs and other knowledge products, in collaboration with government partners
- Facilitate key meetings/events such as trainings, state coordination meetings, IT workshops etc
- Provide strategic insights at technical working groups and/or other high level meetings and conferences
- Develop strong working relationships with key stakeholders in government, international partners, donors and NGOs, and ensure maximum coordination of resources and effort
- Collaborate with government to ensure skills transfer and government ownership, identify the most critical hurdles to scale-up, and develop innovative strategies to address them
- Other responsibilities as needed
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree or equivalent in a relevant field; Master’s degree preferred
- Minimum two years of relevant work experience preferably in strategic consulting or big data analytics. Experience working in the health sector and/or health insurance (public or private) is an advantage. Experience in India is an advantage.
- Entrepreneurial mind-set, including ability to work independently, self-motivate, and propose and implement new initiatives
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively as part of a diverse team, ideally in the context of a growing team and/or a team with several senior managers
- Ability to think strategically, handle ambiguity, and problem solve in a fast-paced, limited-structure, multicultural environment.
- Excellent analytical (qualitative and quantitative) skills and communication (written and verbal) skills.
- High level of proficiency in Microsoft Office, particularly Excel, PowerPoint and Word.
- Willingness to travel if required and for extended periods (~15% travel).
- Fluency in English. Fluency in Hindi and additional Indian languages is an advantage.
- Knowledge of big data/advanced analytics concepts and algorithms – text mining, social listening, recommender systems, predictive modelling, etc.
- Experience of handling datasets through use of software such as SQL, Oracle, Python, SAS etc and data visualization tools such as Tableau, Power BI, Qlik Sense etc.
- Design and BI architecture skills, partnering with engineering & information architecture teams on design & architecture
- Experience managing a project end-to-end: problem scoping, data gathering, EDA, visualizations, modelling and insights
- Experience managing roll-out of largescale projects across States is an advantage