Project Support Officer
LocationField based position in Antananarivo, Republic of Madagascar with limited travel to project sites in areas of intervention. Living conditions are adequate and comfortable although opportunities for recreation in nature are few. There is mobile network and internet. Curfews may be periodically imposed by the Government in face of the Covid-19 pandemic and by Medair in case of security issues.
Starting Date & Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, 6 months.
Oversee the running of a Medair base. On a day-today basis the Project Support Officer is involved in a wide variety of activities involving coordination, logistics, hospitality, finance and human resources. This provides valuable support to the programme staff, enabling them to focus on their core activities.
The Medair main office in Antananarivo manages the administration of all running projects, develops new proposals, and facilitates the quality of program implementation and government / partner liaison Disaster risk reduction, Emergency response, nutrition and WASH projects targeting affected and vulnerable populations in Madagascar.
Key Activity Areas
Support to the Tana office administration can entail
- Analysis of base budget and expenditure and developing strategies for better efficiency.
- Support internal financial controls and adherence to Medair and donor guidelines.
- Support finance team in peak times, when preparing for monthly financial reports and for audits.
- Review completeness of finance documents of closed and ongoing projects.
- Support line managers and the HR team so that recruitment, induction, training, appraisals, disciplinary action, etc are well planned, and implemented in an efficient and effective approach.
- Support the HR team in maintaining accurate and up to date staff records including completeness of contact list in internal mailing or collaboration groups.
- Provide support to the logistics team including warehouse management, supply chain overview, vehicles, assets, IT and communication equipment and the training of logistics staff.
- Review quality and adherence to logistics and environmental policies, and support the team so that accurate and efficient procedures are maintained in logistics.
- Draw up, and periodically review contracts between Medair and external suppliers, ensuring they remain valid and relevant and that the terms and conditions are adhered to. Ensure that the contract overview tool is up to date.
- Assist the teams in proposal developments including budgeting, ensuring they meet all relevant Medair and donor requirements. Assist the teams in reporting.
- Support reviews of security plans and standard operational procedures also in project bases and facilitate the regular actualisation of these documents. Assist the team in organising or facilitating inhouse trainings on standards, processes and introduction of new policies.
- Support administration processes so that a clear and transparent paper trail is in place, that print and digital records are kept in an orderly and timely fashion, and that the archiving system is in line with Medair and donor requirements. Participate in and at times lead weekly all staff and management team meetings, and ensuring team members are kept informed of issues relevant to their work.
- Support a transparent, honest and flat communication structure within all teams so that all are kept informed on processes, procedures, goals and achievements, and remain motivated, engaged and pro-active to achieve jointly an effective administration and implementation of project.
- Support positive relationships with suppliers, local authorities, other NGOs and any other stakeholders, representing Medair and ensuring good co-operation and partnerships.
- Promote and use the Medair e-library and other operating procedures, ensuring that all standardised formats are used and guidelines are followed.
- In conjunction with relevant managers review, develop and implement (as applicable) systems to improve transparency and to detect and ultimately prevent loss or fraud. Carry-out regular inspections and spot-checks, both on systems and on-going work, to ensure the best use of Medair assets and resources.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- University degree in relevant subject or equivalent professional / technical qualification.
- Professional qualification in business administration / accounting / human resources / logistics desirable.
- Strong French (spoken and written) and good English (spoken and written).
Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC)
What is the ROC and why is it required?
- Post-qualification management experience in a relevant profession Experience working in a cross-cultural setting, preferable in a support role.
- Supervisory management experience, preferably in the NGO sector desirable.
- Able to develop and maintain effective relationships with the different project and administration teams of Medair Madagascar, and the global Medair team, as well as with external stakeholders.
- Capacity to work under pressure and manage personal stress levels, creative, pragmatic, open-minded, flexible, self-learner, curious. Good understanding of cross-cultural issues, diplomatic and sensitive to intercultural issues.
- Able to cope with basic living conditions during field trips.
- Problem solving ability, analytic and methodological mindset, excellent communicator, good numerical and report writing skills, commitment to best practice.
- Able to engage in and manage multiple tasks, to prioritise and organise, co-creating and collaborating.
- Able to build trust, and motivate others to adhere to procedures while encouraging an innovative mindset.
- Consultative management style, accountable decision maker, strong organisational and time management skills.