Local Consultant, On-site Supervisor (Civil Engineer)
“Establishing of the Veterinary Surveillance System Sustainability in Ukraine for EDP-Related Diseases (Especially Dangerous Pathogens)” Project
The OSCE Project Co-ordinator in Ukraine (PCUk) is implementing the “Establishing of the Veterinary Surveillance System Sustainability in Ukraine for EDP-Related Diseases (Especially Dangerous Pathogens)” project. It will contribute to enhancing Ukraine’s laboratory capacity for diagnostics and surveillance of EDP-related infectious diseases and subsequently developing, validating and registering national real time Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR)-based diagnostics and surveillance kits.
The project involves the overhaul of laboratory premises of the National Scientific Centre “Institute of Experimental and Veterinary Medicine” (NSC “IECVM”) of the National Academy of Agrarian Sciences of Ukraine. NSC “IECVM” is located in Kharkiv, Ukraine. The laboratory premises to be renovated are located in two separate buildings of NSC “IECVM”.
The PCUk has conducted a preliminary assessment of laboratory premises to be overhauled. Planned construction-and-installation works fall under the definition “overhaul” (major renovation). The tentative scope of works includes: reinforcement and renovation of walls, floors, ceiling, roofing; replacement of windows; installation of secured doors, installation of physical security measures and surveillance equipment; construction of two refrigerator chambers; installation of ventilation system and back-up power supply; replacement of obsolete utilities; as well as other works and services as to be identified and agreed upon during the engineering services for the development of architectural design and cost-estimate documentation.
The full scope of works, services and related documentation must comply with national and international requirements in relation to such works and operations of such laboratories, including biosafety, biosecurity and manufacturing of diagnostic and surveillance kits.
The PCUk requires services of an experienced certified engineer to support the overhaul of NSC “IECVM” laboratory premises.
Please note that this is a short-term consultancy assignment of approximately 50 working days duration. The consultant will be required to work from home with the ability to travel if necessary.
The purpose of this consultancy is to develop required tender documentation; participate in the technical evaluation of bids; conduct on-site supervision, monitoring, oversight and quality assurance for the services, documents and works; provide consultations and suggestions; provide other services, as required for the overhaul of NSC “IECVM” laboratory premises.
The consultant will acts as intermediary between the contractor(s) and the PCUk. The consultant will be responsible for monitoring and verification of the full cycle of architectural design services and construction works performed at NSC “IECVM” laboratory premises by contractor(s). He/She will closely collaborate with the PCUk and involved experts.
The consultant will perform the following tasks:
- Develop tender documentation in line with the OSCE policies, national and international requirements and norms.
- Provide consultations during tender procedure and at all stages of the overhaul process.
- Participate in the technical evaluation of bids.
- Verify quality, compliance, completeness, etc. of the architectural design and cost-estimate documentation.
- Conduct regular on-site engineering supervision, monitoring, oversight, quality assurance for the services, documents, works and materials.
- Ensure quality control and satisfactory performance according to technical standards, norms, architectural design and cost-estimate documentation, budget and schedule.
- Inspect, verify and certify the completed works and documentation for acceptance.
- Submit progress reports to the PCUk.
- Perform other tasks as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering.
- Extensive, at least 10 years of relevant experience in the field of civil engineering (architectural design, construction, supervision, oversight, quality control and assurance, etc.).
- Valid professional certificate in the areas of civil engineering and/or architecture in accordance with the Ukrainian laws.
- Prior experience as a designer and/or member of technical acceptance committees for construction projects is required.
- Advanced knowledge of relevant national construction standards.
- Experience in design and construction of biological laboratories or on-site supervision, monitoring, oversight, quality assurance would be an advantage.
- Previous relevant experience with international organizations in the respected field would be an advantage.
- Prior experience in application of safety and security standards for construction works would be an advantage.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to provide high-quality written assessment based on contractors inputs and relevant national regulations.
- Punctuality and ability to effectively multi-task and deliver under tight deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal, communication and mediation skills; experience in negotiations on matters related to quality and ability to get a point across clearly and precisely.
- Excellent computer skills (MS Office applications, construction design software products) and ability to use information technologies as a tool and resource.
- Professional level of English and Ukrainian (oral and written).
According to the PCU consultancy fees guidelines.
This position is for residents of Ukraine only. We strongly encourage applicants to use the online application system at vacancies.osce.org; the Requisition Number is ECO00000V. Please use the Google Chrome for the correct data presentation. The deadline for applications is 27 July 2021.
You can fill in the Application Form for the OSCE vacancy and send it by e-mail to: email@example.com, indicating the title of the Requisition Number in the application form and in the subject line. Applications received after the published deadline will not be considered. Due to the high volume of applications, only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Details of the assignment and contract may be further discussed during the interviews.
The OSCE retains the discretion to re-advertise the vacancy, to cancel the recruitment, to offer an appointment with a modified job description or for a different duration.
The OSCE is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious, ethnic and social backgrounds to apply to become a part of the organization.
Please be aware that the OSCE does not request payment at any stage of the application and review process.