• FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, background and culture
• Qualified female applicants, qualified nationals of non-and under-represented member nations and person with disabilities are encouraged to apply
• Everyone who works for FAO is required to adhere to the highest standards of integrity and professional conduct, and to uphold our values. FAO has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and FAO, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination.
• All selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks
• All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
• The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization.
The Finance Division recommends and administers financial policies and procedures that meet the highest professional standards; keeps accounts that accurately record financial activities and meet the requirements of internal and external audits; prepares reports to accurately portray the financial status of the Organization and its activities; ensures that the Organization's financial resources are securely kept and productively employed while in FAO's custody; oversees financial operations wherever performed in the Organization; and ensures that all disbursements are timely and made in accordance with established policies and procedures.
The post is located in the Rome.
The Finance Officer reports to the Director, Finance Division.
The Finance Officer is responsible for leading divisional reporting and analysis on financial matters.
• The planning and delivery of financial services in accordance with internal policies, UN financial guidelines and International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS)
• Leads and/or participates on Finance Division teams, participates and provides financial expertise on Organization-wide committees or working groups, and/or supervises staff.
• Supervises, oversees and/or contributes to the delivery of financial reporting, general accounting, project accounting, and/or investment activities/services in accordance with FAO policies and regulatory framework.
• Develops and updates the supporting operational, policy, accounting, control and/or risk management frameworks, involving the implementation of the latest approaches and methodologies, streamlined business processes, new/revised financial policies, and related tools, systems, technologies and related procedures.
• Analyzes financial information for inclusion in statutory reports, management reports, financial statements, and/or reports to donors as well as other specific reports for Governing Bodies, donors and other partners.
• Responds to requests for assistance and provides financial and regulatory advice and assistance to managers at HQ and the Decentralized Offices etc.
• Develops effective working relationships and resolves problems with banks, other financial institutions, donors, partners, and UN financial executives as well as provides information/clarification to auditors.
• Promotes best practices and capacity development at HQ and the Decentralized Offices, leads and/or participates in training and the development of related training materials.
• Coordinates Budget preparation, monitoring and analysis
• Coordinates responses to external and internal audit
• Advises the Director on UN Inter-agency groups, including the Finance and Budget Network
• Coordinates Internal Control Framework, implementation and monitoring
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• Advanced university degree in accounting, finance, business administration or a related field and a professional qualification from a recognized professional institution (CFA, CCM, CA, CPA) .
• Seven years of relevant experience in finance, accounting and/or business analysis
• Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge of another FAO official language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish)
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Extent and relevance of experience in accounting and in managing accounting functions, budget management and reporting
• Extent and relevance of knowledge in IPSAS and financial statement preparation
• Extent and relevance of knowledge of ERP systems and financial reporting tools
• Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable