Human Resources Associate
UNDP is the knowledge frontier organization for sustainable development in the UN Development System and serves as the integrator for collective action to realize the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). With presence in 170 countries and territories, UNDP endeavors to help countries develop strong policies, skills, partnerships and institutions so they can sustain their progress. UNDP personnel are united by a common purpose: to help countries and communities across the world pursue peaceful, prosperous lives, lived in harmony with the planet.
Drawing on the diversity of UNDP’s client needs and partnerships, the Office of Human Resources (OHR) is the hub for the global HR function for UNDP, providing strategy, policy setting, guidance and oversight. In addition, OHR provides a broad range of HR advisory and talent management services enabling UNDP to deliver fully integrated development solutions at corporate level. In this context, OHR is focused on the implementation of an ambitious and forward-looking three-year strategy, People for 2030, which will progressively transform UNDP’s culture and enable its workforce capacity to deliver more and better results.
Through People for 2030, OHR aims to be at the leading edge of HR in the international development sector by developing high quality and innovative human resources solutions and driving transformation across UNDP.
In this renewed and dynamic framework, OHR is seeking high caliber human resources professionals with a strong HR background, and the capacity, commitment, and attitude needed to generate a culture characterized by innovation, entrepreneurship and a focus on delivering transformative outcomes.
The Talent Acquisition and People Programme (TAPP) has been built upon from the JPO Service Centre (JPOSC) work to enable the development of new strategic staffing and talent acquisition initiatives with a view to build a Centre for Excellence in Talent Acquisition and Management that caters to UN system agency clients as well as other potential partners.
Under the guidance of the Chief, TAPP and direct supervision of the HR Associate (G7) or HR Specialist, the incumbent ensures execution of transparent and efficient HR services to JPOs and other TAPP areas of work. The HR Associate promotes a collaborative, client-oriented approach and supports the maintenance of high staff morale.
The HR Associate works in close collaboration with the TAPP/JPOSC Human Resources Associates and Assistants, External Relations and Partnerships Team, Operations Team, as well as GSSU-HR staff for resolving complex HR-related issues and information exchange.
The HR Associate is accountable for the integrity, transparency, and equity of the management of UNDP resources, particularly the contracts, benefits and entitlements management.
More information on the JPOSC and the programmes can be found here: www.jposc.undp.org
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Effectively supports JPO/SDP recruitment focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Supporting on the JPO/SDP recruitment processes including reviewing JPO/SDP job descriptions preparing vacancy announcements, screening and long-listing of candidates, supporting organization of interviews, including interview agenda planning, compiling interview reports and reference taking.
- Supporting on the preparation of submissions to Compliance Review Board (CRB), including collecting all required documents and uploading to the CRB page
2. Effectively provides TAPP/JPOSC HR Services focusing on achieving the following results:
- Act as an advisor on matters relating to JPO/SDP Assignments, benefits and entitlements, fostering partnerships with internal and external stakeholders by advising clients, staff, colleagues and partners of the JPO/SDP Policy frameworks, rules and regulations and the interpretation thereof to achieve the following results:
- Consistent approach in compliance with Staff Regulations and Rules.
- Building Client and partner confidence with JPOSC/TAPP Partners.
- HR policies and guidelines relating to Benefits and Entitlements are reviewed and revised as necessary.
- Timely issuance, verification, and liaison with Donors/Partners on Cost Estimates for JPO/SDP Assignments.
- HR support to JPOs, SDPs, Country offices and other partners on the JPO/SDP Policy Framework and assignment policy.
- Providing support to JPOs/SDP on on-boarding, challenges in the assignment, and emerging career opportunities.
3. Effectively implement administration of JPO/SDP contracts/entitlements/benefits focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Administer, certify and approve processing of Benefits and Entitlements in full compliance with Staff Regulations and Rules, Financial Accountability Framework and policies. The HRA has approval authority for non-discretionary decisions under the applicable staff rules and within the financial level of authority, to achieve the following results:
- Equity and transparency in the application of Staff Regulations and Rules policies according to the contract modality of JPO and SDPs
- Client understanding and confidence in JPOSC as a credible HR service administrator.
- A high quality, timely and accurate service is provided to clients and partners on JPO/SDP contract related entitlements (hereunder DTTA balances)
- Accurate staff database for staff and JPO/SDP talent management.
- Ensures compliance with audit requirements on documentation for Benefits and Entitlements verification.
- Accurate monitoring and validation of payroll results in Atlas, Payroll validation.
- Determine, verify and approve financial entitlements related to contracts, including hires, life and organization events, end of service, ongoing entitlements and salaries.
4. Effectively build new procedures and Knowledge Management system with the achievement of the following Results:
- Recommend, create and maintain knowledge management prescriptive content relevant for JPO/SDP Contract and assignment administration to achieve the following results:
- HR knowledge management system contains accurate and comprehensive coverage of JPO/SDP Assignment procedures and Benefits, and Entitlements matters.
- Continuous learning and development for HR staff by keeping abreast with HR best practices.
- Identify areas for improving processes and HR policies and developing business requirements to maximize efficiency and simplify procedures.
- JPOSC and TAPP HR business processes mapping and preparation of internal Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in HR management.
- Innovation - Ability to make new and useful ideas work
- Leadership - Ability to persuade others to follow
- People Management - Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
- Communication - Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
- Delivery - Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement
- Human Resources Management - Knowledge of HR management issues and principles and the ability to apply them to strategic and/or practical situations
- Management Systems - Uses information/databases/other management systems, Provides inputs to the development of simple system components
- Client-Orientation - Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion, Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and internal and external clients
- Planning & Organization - Organizes and oversees work processes efficiently to achieve quality results.
- Knowledge Management - Ability to efficiently handle and share information and knowledge
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary Education with at least six (6) years relevant experience, or Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources, Business or Public Administration with relevant experience of at least three (3) years will be given due consideration.
- Specialized certification in HR is highly desirable.
- With secondary education: minimum 6 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in related activities
- With Bachelor or higher degree: minimum 3 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in related activities
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and experience in handling of web based management systems
- Knowledge about UNDP HR polices, benefits and entitlements, and ERP system (Atlas) would be a strong advantage
- Experience in the area of international recruitment of young professionals would be a strong advantage.
- Fluency in English
- Working knowledge of other UN language (French/Spanish/Arabic) desirable.
Important applicant information
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.