Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 7,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
Background Information - Job-specific
- In coordination with the National Communications Officer and Regional Communications Specialist, support, implement and monitor the Communication and Parthehips Strategy for keeping aligned UNOPS priorities.
- Support and provide quality-control in the research of national trends or events that can influence UNOPS activities.
- Provide inputs, quality assurance and drafting for the preparation of reports, contribute to the monitoring of results and evaluation of country reports.
- Support the coordination of communication priorities with the Project Manager and the project partner(s).
- Apply communication guidelines to prevent and manage potential media or reputational crisis situations. Support the digital communication activities of UNOPS.
- Support the holding of conferences, workshops, seminars and / or other activities within the framework of the project.
- Support the country office in the necessary management to establish strategic alliances (Partnerships) with national and international strategic actors from various sectors.
- Support actions for the development of strategic alliances in line with the implementation of the UNOPS Strategic Plan for 2018-2021.
- Participate in the implementation of initiatives and tools to effectively address the development of Partnerships / alliances linked to innovative solutions, such as Fair Public Management and others.
- Promote the circulation of information within the project teams, the country office and the regional team, in order to create communities capable of strengthening the project's positioning in the country and the region.
- Support the development of communication materials with a gender perspective.
- Support the development of gender and innovation initiatives that increase the incorporation of a gender perspective in the actions that UNOPS implements.
- A First University degree preferably in Communication, Journalism, Public Administration, Economics, International Development, Political Science, Communications or International Relations or related field A
- Master Degree or third level education is desirable and can substitute some of the years of experience preferably in Communications, Journalism, Public Administration, Economics, International Development, Political Sciences, International Relationships or related areas.
- A minimum of two (2) years of experience developing communication strategies, public relations and / or strategic alliances.
- Experience in public relations (or an equivalent related to Partnerships and partnership development) is required in the public, private or cooperative projects will be valued.
- Experience in communication for development and/or partnership and portfolio development.
- Experience in communicating health issues.
- Knowledge and experience with United Nations agencies, international cooperation and / or international organizations will be valued.
- Fluency in Spanish and good working level in English (both written and oral) are required.
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
Contract type, level and duration
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (around 4 hours) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
- It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns.
- Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.