International Consultant on Smallholder Livestock Production
Home Based - May require travel (Home Based)
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
- FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, background, and culture
- Qualified female applicants, qualified nationals of non-and under-represented member nations, and person with disabilities are encouraged to apply
- Everyone who works for FAO is required to adhere to the highest standards of integrity and professional conduct and to uphold our values. FAO has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and FAO, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority, and discrimination
- All selected candidates, therefore, will undergo rigorous reference and background checks
- All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
- The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization
In the Republic of Moldova livestock production is an essential part of subsistence farming, providing livelihoods for small farmers’ households. Smallholders and family farms can achieve higher levels of income, production and productivity through sustainable use of resources, increased production, better farm management, increased access to adequate public services and better integration into agri-food value chains. FAO mandate in Moldova is to support smallholders and family farmers to gain access to markets and trainings, enabling them to apply sustainable agricultural practices. The project intends to implement activities for addressing the issues of the smallholder farms, in particular of those dealing with livestock.
The consultant shall operate under the overall guidance and responsibility of the FAO Representative in Moldova; and under the direct supervision of the Lead Technical Officer.
The International Consultant on Smallholder Livestock Production should guide the analysis of smallholder livestock production in Moldova, which will help to develop recommendations on how to improve smallholder livestock production, processing and marketing, with particular focus on COVID-19 outbreak, climate adverse phenomena such as drought, hails and frosts, expensive inputs and limited access to markets
Tasks and responsibilities
• With the help of the project team collect and analyse all available data on smallholder livestock production in the Republic of Moldova
• Draft survey programmes and survey questionnaires on smallholder livestock production, and develop requirements on the survey number and selection of stakeholders who need to be surveyed.
• Perform the analysis of the results received from the smallholder livestock production survey.
• Develop recommendations and public awareness materials on how to improve smallholder livestock production, processing and marketing, with particular focus on COVID-19 outbreak, climate adverse phenomena such as drought, hails and frosts, expensive inputs and limited access to markets
• Contribute to the organization of the first small ruminant multi-stakeholder discussion forum
• Perform any other duties required
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- University degree in Animal Husbandry, Animal Sciences, or relevant studies.
- At least 10 years of relevant experience in the field of livestock production, with particular focus on smallholders and family farms.
- Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge of another FAO languages (French, Spanish, Arabic, Chinese, Russian) for COF.REG. Russian knowledge is considered as an asset.
- For PSAs working knowledge of English.
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work
- Extent and relevance of experience in working with smallholder livestock production
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency