Software Engineer (P-4)
|Division:||International Data Centre Division|
|Section:||Software Applications Section|
|Unit:||Software Integration Unit|
|Type of Appointment:||Fixed Term Appointment|
|Date of Issuance:||12/07/2021|
|Deadline for Applications:|| |
|Reporting Date:||as soon as possible|
Please note that all candidates should adhere to CTBTO Values of Integrity, Professionalism and Respect for Diversity.
Qualified female applicants and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
A roster of suitable candidates may be established for similar positions at the same level as a result of this selection process for a period of two (2) years.
The Preparatory Commission for the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty Organization with its headquarters in Vienna is the international organization setting up the global verification system foreseen under the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty (CTBT), which is the treaty banning any nuclear-weapon-test explosion or any other nuclear explosion. The Treaty provides for a global verification regime, including a network of 337 stations worldwide, a communications system, an international data centre and on-site inspections to monitor compliance.
This position is located in the Software Integration Unit under the Software Applications Section, International Data Centre Division (IDC).
Under the supervision of the Head, Software Integration Unit, to:
Duties and Responsibilities
- Act as project manager and technical lead in software development projects, working with external, possibly geographically dispersed teams.
- Define and maintain formal requirements for new software systems to be developed using proven system analysis techniques.
- Integrate and release software from external contributors in the IDC environment following established IDC Change Management procedures.
- Perform software maintenance and provide second level support for IDC software systems in operation.
- Advise on support for the adoption of new methodology and standards in all areas of software development, including system analysis, development and testing.
- Identify and recommend potential improvements to the algorithms and software for data acquisition, processing and interactive analysis;
- Recommend refactoring and redesign measures to maintain and enhance the architecture of IDC software as a whole, in particular to reduce code duplication, improve maintainability and extensibility.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Advanced university degree in computer science, physics (geophysics, nuclear physics), mathematics or a related field with emphasis on scientific software management and development.
- At least seven years of recent professional experience developing and testing software to process large volumes of data on UNIX and Linux systems, Python, C and C++ programming languages and relational databases, especially Oracle and SQL.
- Experience with software life cycle methodology is essential.
- Hands-on experience with and good understanding of requirements definition and software system design methodologies is essential;
- Knowledge of object-oriented system design techniques, including experience with using and applying common design patterns is essential; in-depth experience with at least one object-oriented programming language;
- Experience at least one agile software development methodology is essential;
- Experience using Perl, FORTRAN 77, and Scheme is an advantage;
- In-depth experience working with seismic, infrasound, hydroacoustic, or radionuclide data is desirable.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English are essential;
- Knowledge of other official CTBTO languages is desirable.
- Professionalism - Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
- Communication - Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Planning and organizing - Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as requested; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary;
- Team work - Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organisational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others' ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; builds consensus for task purpose and direction with team members; supports and acts in accordance with final group decisions, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings
- Accountability - Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honors commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments; takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
- Creativity - Actively seeks to improve programmes or services; offers new and different options to solve problems or meet client needs; promotes and persuades others to consider new ideas; takes calculated risks on new and unusual ideas; thinks “outside the box”; takes an interest in new ideas and new ways of doing things; is not bound by current thinking or traditional approaches.
- Client orientation – Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive relationships with clients by gaining their trust and respect.; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress and setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to clients.
- Commitment to continuous learning - Keeps abreast of new developments in own occupation/profession; actively seeks to develop oneself professionally and personally; contributes to the learning of colleagues and subordinates; shows willingness to learn from others; seeks feedback to learn and improve.
- Technological Awareness - Keeps abreast of available technology; understands applicability and limitations of technology to the work of the office; actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks, shows willingness to learn new technology.
CTBTO offers an attractive compensation and benefits package in accordance with the policies of the International Civil Service Commission. For more information on UN salaries, allowances and benefits, see link: http://www.un.org/Depts/OHRM/salaries_allowances/salary.htm). The salary offered may be subject to deductions to the United Nations Joint Staff Pension Fund and Health Insurance Scheme.
- All applications must be submitted through the CTBTO e-Recruitment system before the deadline stated in the vacancy announcement.
- The CTBTO Preparatory Commission retains the discretion not to make any appointment to this vacancy; to make an appointment at a lower grade in particular if the candidate has less than the qualifications required; to make an appointment with a modified job description, or to offer a contract term for a shorter duration than indicated in the vacancy announcement.
- Please note that the CTBTO will only consider academic credentials or degrees obtained from an educational institution recognized in the IAU/UNESCO list.
- The CTBTO reserves the right to undertake correspondence only with shortlisted candidates.
- Candidates under serious consideration for selection will be subject to a reference-checking process or be requested to provide performance assessments.