The Laboratory Technologist will actively contribute in the improvement of quality of care by ensuring quality laboratory services are delivered to the beneficiaries. He/she will be supervising all laboratory assistants and will capacity build them through laboratory assistants training and on bench trainings. He/She will be answerable to Senior Laboratory Technologist.
- Perform Laboratory investigations as per clinician’s request and ensure accurate, reliable and timely results.
- Maintain order and smooth flow of patients.
- Participate in in-service training and regular on bench refresher courses for Kenyan and refugee staff.
- Ensure that all relevant records are updated and maintained.
- Monitor and supervise proper usage of laboratory reagents.
- Maintain Laboratory machines in good order- cleaning and covering after use.
- Ensure general laboratory cleanliness is maintained.
- Report any unusual statistics or observations to the laboratory in-charge.
- Ensure SOPS are used at all times.
- Ensuring safety procedures in the laboratory are maintained.
- Preparing of stains, reagents and solutions necessary for all lab tests.
- Participate in the department planning and forecasting of laboratory supplies.
- Monitor proper safety standards in the laboratory.
- Organize biological samples for shipment.
- Writing and reviewing SOPs.
- Timely submission of weekly, monthly and quartly reports.
- Keeping up to date with technical developments, especially those which can save time and improve reliability.
- Performing laboratory tests in order to produce reliable and precise data to support scientific investigations.
- Supervise laboratory assistants in collaboration with the senior lab technologist to ensure work is done properly.
- Countercheck all work done by lab assistants.
- Ensure laboratory tests are performed accurately and timely
- Ensure revised SOPs are used in all testing procedures.
- Ensure proper collection, packaging and transportation of laboratory samples to Nairobi hospital and/or other outsourced center.
- Ensure proper storage of laboratory reagents and cold chain system to avoid compromised reagents that may lead to false reporting.
Reporting and Coordination:
- Ensure all laboratory reports are done on time and sent to Supervisor, HIS, HM and other offices as may be indicated.
- Notify your supervisor on all investigations above the normal threshold.
- Report any laboratory incidents to the senior lab technologist.
- Carry out any other duty assigned by your supervisor
Key Result Areas
- Quality of lab services- reliable and timely.
- Cleaning and orderliness of the workplace
- FIFO and FEFO application in stock management
- Training of lab assistants’ course and other CME
- Timely reporting.