Project Assistant (Culture) - SC(4/1)-BAG-21-CLT-0004
Parent Sector : Culture Sector (CLT)
Duty Station: Erbil
Job Family: Culture
Type of contract : Non Staff
Level : Level 4
Duration of contract : From 7 to 11 months
Recruitment open to : External candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 26-Jul-2021
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, ProfessionalismOVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
The Individual Consultant work assignment falls in the framework of the project “Reviving the Spirit of Mosul by Rebuilding its Monumental Landmarks”, financed by the United Arab Emirates (UAE – hereinafter the ‘Project’).
The Project aims at the restoration and reconstruction of the historic landmarks of Mosul, notably the emblematic Al-Nouri Mosque, and its celebrated, leaning Al-Hadba Minaret. The project also includes two churches in the Old City of Mosul, Al Tahera Syriac Catholic and Al Saa’a Churches. Through rebuilding and restoration of cultural heritage in the Old City of Mosul, the project will contribute to job creation, the return of displaced Mowslawis, skills development and important steps towards reconciliation.
The Project is being implemented within the framework of the UNESCO flagship initiative ‘Revive the Spirit of Mosul’, launched by the UNESCO Director-General in 2018, and focusing on the human dimension of reconstruction.
Currently, the Project has moved from the I Phase – aimed at completing a first set of onsite activities, such as demining and rubble removal – to the II Phase, which will include the preparation of detailed designs for the included sites, as basis to commence the actual reconstruction works.
In this framework, the project team requires strong administrative and logistic support to organize events, meetings, drafted official correspondence and Munities of Meeting and organize missions.Long Description
Under the overall authority of the Director of UNESCO Office in Iraq, the guidance of the Senior Project Officer, direct supervision of the Associate Project Officer, and in collaboration with other staff for the “project”; the Project Assistant will be based in the UNESCO Erbil Office and will be responsible for providing assistance through the delivery of a range of the following tasks:
1. Produce, complete and put in final form documents, publications and correspondence related to the work of the Unit from draft texts; search, locate, compile, review and update information and data used in the development of documents, work plans and budgets; enter and update approved work plans/budget data in the automated system(s), ensuring accuracy and compliance with the approved amounts; run reports from the automated systems to support preparation of regular and ad-hoc budgetary/financial updates, reporting on project delivery, statistics and/or projections for use and scrutiny by the supervisor(s) or responsible manager.
2. Prepare a variety of administrative documentation using examples or templates; initiate administrative procedures/transactions and ensure follow-up, including payment and contract follow-up in collaboration with the Administration Units; collaborate with concerned officers and supervisor to ensure all works going according to the specific administrative processes and related procedures to support work planning and timely and coordinated execution of work; alert supervisor of outstanding obligations, timeframes and bottlenecks. Also support Implementing Partners in preparing financial and required supporting documents.
3. Assist the team in conducting the financial review of the project documents, including but not limited to UNESCO payments for consultants, vendors and all partners’ financial documents and reports, and maintain updated checklists with the financial and procurement requirements, as per UNESCO rules and procedures to ensure alignment with the organization internal guidelines. Besides, monitoring of expenditure and budget and providing updates to the project team.
4. Organize official meetings, events and workshops by booking venues, equipment and providing other related logistical support; organize official travel in conjunction with meetings, events and workshops; make travel arrangements; track and prepare itinerary and agenda; facilitate travel by providing/clarifying information and preparing the necessary documentation; collate/format information and data for presentation in final form; inform participants; organize the distribution of documentation; collect minutes/information/documentation and prepare associated documentation.Long Description
5. Receive, analyse, sort, register and distribute correspondence, documents and process requests for data and reports; follow-up as required; draft correspondence letters and emails; provide informal, translations of documents; maintain information systems and databases in both physical and electronic media by recording, updating and retrieving information, documentation and data.
6. Assist in the design and development of multimedia communication and marketing materials for the promotion of the project and its products (e.g. brochure, website, posters, advertisements), assist in monitoring of contractors and consultants, as contracted by UNESCO for implementation of Projects.
7. Assist in other administrative tasks, including: i) logistics support; ii) preparation of relevant documentation for missions; iii) preparation of minutes of meetings; and iv) overall administrative support for the project team in assisting them in daily administrative and other tasks.
8. Build good relationships with stakeholders and facilitate communication, coordination and project reviews with relevant departments at the Ministry of Education and other governmental departments such as Directorates of Education, and other UN agencies and non-government organizations, according to work requirements and per supervisors’ instructions.
9. Assist in the planning and implementation of other UNESCO culture projects in Iraq, if necessary.
10. Undertake any other tasks assigned by the Head of Office and/or the supervisor to ensure the success of the work for the project.Long Description
The candidate shall be performing her/his tasks within the specific operating standards, guidelines, requirements, techniques and/or methods. The candidate will be working under the overall supervision of the Director of the UNESCO Office for Iraq and the direct supervision of the Associate Project Officer.
The candidate will also closely work with colleagues from the Finance and Administration unit, the procurement officer based in Baghdad, and the national project officer based in Erbil.
1. Academic qualifications:
• At least a secondary school certificate or Diploma in finance accounting, business administration or any other related field.
2. Years of relevant work experience
• Minimum of three years of work experience in the field of finance or accounting (auditing experience is an asset) in addition to the experience in administrative support.
3. Language requirement
• Fluent in Arabic – oral, written, comprehension
• Fluent in English – oral, written, comprehension
4. Competencies and skills
• Good knowledge of project planning and management tools.
• Good IT skills.
• Strong facilitation skills and communication skills.
• Integrity and drive for results.
• Ability to adapt to dynamic environments and to work effectively in a multicultural/multinational environment.
• Good judgment and decision-making skills.
• Ability to work independently and in a team.
• Ability to meet deadlines and be punctual at work.
• Commitment to UN values of non-discrimination on the basis of race, gender, economic status, or religion.
Accountability, Communication, Teamwork, Innovation, Results focus, Planning and organizing, Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement.DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS
1. Academic qualifications
• University degree in finance, accounting, business administration or any related field would be an asset.
2. Years of relevant work experience
• Previous experience working with UN agency or international non-governmental organisation in the field of finance and administration – especially the knowledge of UN systems, regulations and procedures.
• Experience in support and management would be an asset.
3. Language requirement
• Native Arabic speaker – oral, written, comprehension.
• Knowledge of Kurdish would be an assetSELECTION AND RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO careers website. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.Footer
UNESCO applies a zero tolerance policy against all forms of harassment.
UNESCO is committed to achieve and sustain gender parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities, as well as nationals from non-and under-represented Member States (last update here) are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the highest level of confidentiality. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.