Technical Officer - P3
Addis Ababa (Ethiopia)
Vacancy no.: DC/ADDIS ABABA/P/2021/03
Publication date: 13 July 2021
Application deadline (midnight Addis Ababa Time): 26 July 2021
Job ID: 6470
Organization Unit: CO-Addis Ababa
Location: Addis Ababa
Contract type: Short Term
Contract duration: 8 months
Under article 4.2, paragraph (e) of the Staff Regulations, the filling of vacancies in technical cooperation projects does not fall under Annex I of the Staff Regulations and is made by direct selection by the Director-General.
In order to support the best informed process in the filling of the present vacancy by direct selection, the ILO invites interested candidates to submit their candidature online by the above date.
Technical cooperation appointments are not expected to lead to a career in the ILO and they do not carry any expectation of renewal or conversion to any other type of appointment in the Organization. Extensions of technical cooperation contracts are subject to various elements including the following: availability of funds, continuing need of the functions and satisfactory conduct and performance.
The following are eligible to apply:
- ILO Internal candidates in accordance with paragraphs 31 and 32 of Annex I of the Staff Regulations.
- External candidates.
The ILO values diversity among its staff and welcomes applications from qualified female candidates. We also encourage applicants with disabilities. If you are unable to complete our online application form due to a disability, please send an email to email@example.com.
The confirmation and duration of this appointment are subject to availability of funds.
The ILO seeks to recruit the services of a Project Technical Officer for the implementation of the ILO Project on “Improved Labour Migration Governance in East Africa” financed by the UK Foreign Commonwealth & Development Officer (FCDO).
The overall objective of the project is to strengthen the capacities of countries in East Africa to govern labour migration by using evidence-based policies, enhancing migrant workers’ qualifications and skills, and actively engaging the social partners for improved development outcomes. The project intends to build on what has already been implemented by national stakeholders and donors’ initiatives. This approach will seek synergies and complementarities in interventions, avoiding overlapping and duplication, thus improving the sustainability of the proposed activities.
The incumbent will be based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, and travel to the countries covered by the project to facilitate and support implementation of project outputs and activities. The Project Technical Officer will closely work with and provide technical support and guidance to the National Project Coordinators and constituents in the different countries covered by the project, external collaborators and partners in the implementation of the activities of the project. In particular, technical guidance will be provided in enhancing fair and effective national and regional labour migration and mobility governance systems policies, conducting and advising on findings from assessments, development of training materials and tools as well as day to day implementation of project activities.
Under the overall responsibility of the Director of ILO CO-Addis Ababa, the incumbent will work under direct supervision of the project’s Chief Technical Advisor (CTA) and technical guidance of the technical expert, and as appropriate receive technical guidance from MIGRANT or other HQ units. He/she will be responsible for the following activities at regional and national level:
Description of Duties
- Provide technical guidance and backstopping in the design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of project activities;
- Provide technical inputs and coordinate the development of studies, thematic reports, tools and training materials developed by the project, external collaborators and partner institutions and ensure wide dissemination and use of the findings and tools delivered by the project.
- Monitor, coordinate and guide activities carried out by external collaborators and service providers, and implementing partners and come up with innovative ways of doing things to ensure timely delivering the project activities and attainment of project objectives.
- Support development and management of results management framework including development of robust monitoring and evaluation plan with clear indicators and targets at various levels.
- Support in drafting of periodic reports, activity reports, project briefing notes and other ad-hoc reports on the progress of project, in line with the logical framework and M&E plan of the project and requirements of the ILO and the donor, FCDO;
- Assist in the preparation for and be involved in the periodic reviews and final evaluation of the project.
- Contribute to planning, organizing and facilitating consultative meetings, trainings, seminars and workshops and serve as a resource person in trainings, workshops and technical consultations on various topics related to labour migration.
- Provide technical advice to concerned governments, employers' and workers' organizations, non-governmental organizations, and other project stakeholders in the area of labour migration and mobility governance;
- Understand and promote ILO policies regarding labour migration, STATISTICS, skills development and recognition, social protection, and the relevant International Labour Standards.
- Collaborate and closely work with partners implementing multi country and regional programs in East Africa.
- Undertake missions for the purpose of providing technical support and facilitate implementation of activities following ILO established guidelines, manuals and standards.
- Carry out other duties as may be assigned by the CTA and CO-Addis Ababa.
First level university degree in development studies, economics, and other related social science fields. An Advanced university degree would be an advantage.
- Five years of professional experience in labour migration and mobility governance, labour migration dynamics, reintegration and employment creation or at least three years at the international level. .
- Previous experience with the UN agencies and NGOs is an added advantage
Excellent knowledge of English is mandatory and good knowledge of French is an added advantage.
- Solid field experience in designing and implementing project activities preferably in the fields of labour migration, skills development, and/or employment.
- In depth knowledge and understanding about the migration dynamics in the Horn of Africa;
- Capacity to provide first-line technical advice in the area of labour migration, Mobility governance and related subjects.
- Ability to prepare and guide development of reports and publications of a high quality which lead to an action plan and programme development;
- Ability to provide credible design and implementation assistance to the CTA, technical specialists in carrying out research, project formulation and implementation;
- Capability to guide and coordinate the work of external collaborators, service providers and implementing partners;
- High standards of integrity, professionalism, personal discipline and impartiality;
- Excellent organizational skills;
optional section (if needed)
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team;
- Flexibility and openness to learn and develop personally as well as professionally
- Ability to work independently with a minimum of supervision;
- Ability to work under political and time pressure, and meet deadlines;
- Ability to negotiate persuasively with donor representatives
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment and to demonstrate gender-sensitive and non-discriminatory behaviour and attitudes
- Proficiency in basic computer software (Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and WP).
Conditions of employment
- Any appointment/extension of appointment is subject to ILO Staff Regulations and other relevant internal rules. Any offer of employment with the ILO is conditional upon certification by the ILO Medical Adviser that the person concerned is medically fit to perform the specific inherent requirements of the position offered. In order to confirm an offer from the ILO the successful candidate will be required to undergo a medical examination.
- Any extension of technical cooperation contracts are subject to various elements including the following: availability of funds, continuing need of the functions and satisfactory conduct and performance.
For more information on conditions of employment, please visit: https://jobs.ilo.org/content/International/?locale=en_GB
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application form. To apply, please visit ILO Jobs. The system provides instructions for online application procedures.
Applicants will be contacted directly if selected for a written test and/or an interview.
Depending on the location and availability of candidates, assessors and interview panel members, the ILO may use communication technologies such as Skype, Video or teleconference, e-mail, etc for the assessment and evaluation of candidates at the different stages of the recruitment process, including technical tests or interviews.
The ILO does not charge any fee at any stage of the recruitment process whether at the application, interview, processing or training stage. Messages originating from a non ILO e-mail account - @ilo.org - should be disregarded. In addition, the ILO does not require or need to know any information relating to the bank account details of applicants.