Lead Biomedical Engineer
Home Based - May require travel (Home Based)
Background Information - Job-specific
The Austria Multi-Country Office was set up in August 2019 as a part of the UNOPS Europe & Central Asia Region (ECR). Specifically, AUMCO aims to enable achievement of Agenda 2030 and the Paris Agreement through global programmes and tailored interventions in the Balkans, South Caucasus, and Central Asia, focused on:
Project Management (full service, back on track)
HR and Transactional Services
Technical and Advisory Services
Under the overall guidance of the AUMCO Director, and supervision of the HoSS, the Lead Biomedical Engineer will be responsible for leading on all the tasks associated with the needs assessment, evaluation, installations, training, commissioning, assembly and testing of medical equipment, furniture and appliances that are to be purchased under AUMCO’s health-related projects/programs, including any relevant infrastructure works, as well as regarding other technical/substantive tasks assigned by the supervisor and AUMCO’s management.
Medical Procurement Support
Review, advise on and help consolidate the equipment lists by type of service. Review their operational performances, and make recommendations to management, project managers/teams and stakeholders on specifications and other substantive/technical elements required to effectively develop, plan, launch and implement projects.
Advise management and Project Managers on project scope, overall technical/substantive requirements based on partner and beneficiary needs, as well as national and international certification requirements and standards for equipment, associated services and works, including the relevant best practices.
Preparation of the technical specifications and bill of quantities are to be incorporated into the tender documents of the medical equipment to be procured under the project.
Preparation of the technical requirements for the installation of the equipment, including any relevant infrastructure works.
In coordination with project teams and logistics personnel on the ground, organize and supervise the logistics of delivery and installation.
Develop a schedule of requirements, conditions, evaluation criteria and exact submission needed from the bidders before the bid solicitation.
Participate as the technical evaluator/member of solicitations and proposals for the supply of biomedical equipment, as well as the associated services and works.
Verify biomedical equipment for specification compliance prior to installations and handovers.
Supervision of installation of equipment/systems where required, as well as quality assurance, ensuring the works are carried out as per the design specifications and contracts administrations of installation works.
Prepare operational and maintenance plans for all medical equipment/systems installed under the project, and issue to the client on project completion.
Any other business as assigned by the supervisor and AUMCO Director/management.
Promote and follow-up medical equipment related projects in the country, including identification of synergies and expansion opportunities where feasible.
Travel to project sites if and as required.
Administration, Monitoring and Progress Controls
Checking and certifying of contractor’s progress payment claims in respect of medical equipment items.
Project implementation coordination in support of Project Managers, and with various project stakeholders.
Supervision of testing and commissioning of medical equipment/systems on completion of installations, and the preparation of the commissioning and client’s hand-over reports.
Prepare work progress reports and contract close-out reports.
Supervision of training of the medical staff on operation and maintenance tasks, and records keeping.
Review the medical assets/systems operational performances, produce reports and follow up on any warranty maintenance as required. Prepare weekly & monthly progress reports: progress of works based on the established schedules and plans, encountered problems, solutions, planning of activities for the following week.
Consolidated quarterly progress reports.
Prepare and maintain an inventory list of medical equipment.
Prepare operational and maintenance plans for all medical equipment.
Operationalization of Medical Items
Prepare an accurate inventory list of all medical equipment.
Complete operational and maintenance plans for all medical equipment.
Masters degree or equivalent, preferably in Biomedical Engineering or bioengineering, or in a related engineering or medical field is required. OR
Bachelor's degree with 2 additional years of relevant experience may be accepted in lieu of a Masters degree. OR
A Technical/Professional Diploma in biomedical engineering or similar with 4 additional years of relevant experience may be accepted in lieu of the BA or the MA.
- 5 years (or more based on academic credentials) of progressive experience in the biomedical engineering field (hospitals and laboratories) and medical procurements is required.
- Experience in maintenance of health biomedical equipment is an asset.
- Expertise in infrastructure works relating to installation of biomedical equipment is highly desirable.
- Experience of successfully working with a variety of health sector stakeholders, particularly governments and development partners including UN organizations is an asset.
- Experience working in developing countries is an asset.
- Proficiency with computers in particular CAD design software, and other related software related to the positions field of expertise is highly desirable.
- Professional membership of certified associations is preferential.
- Experience working with developing nations and/or large global donors such as the World Bank, EU and ADB is an advantage.
Fluency in English is required.
Knowledge of Russian language is considered an asset.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract level: ICS-10 / IICA-2 / LICA-10
Contract duration: Long term, renewed every year, depending on performance and budget availability
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
|Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.(for levels IICA-2, IICA-3, LICA Specialist- 10, LICA Specialist-11, NOC, NOD, P3, P4 and above)|
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (around 4 hours) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.