Senior Associate, Malaria Vector Control
United States (United States of America)
Senior Associate, Malaria Vector Control
- United States
- Full Time
- Program (Division)
- Infectious Disease - Global Malaria
- Additional Location Description
- Flexible, pending country leadership approval
The Clinton Health Access Initiative, Inc. (CHAI) is a global health organization committed to saving lives and reducing the burden of disease in low-and middle-income countries, while strengthening the capabilities of governments and the private sector in those countries to create and sustain high quality health systems that can succeed without our assistance. For more information, please visit: http://www.clintonhealthaccess.org
CHAI’s global malaria program provides direct technical and operational support to countries around the globe to strengthen their malaria programs and reduce the burden of this preventable, treatable disease. We support governments to scale up effective interventions for prevention, diagnosis, treatment, and surveillance, with the goals of sustainably reducing the number of malaria-related illnesses and deaths worldwide in the short-term and accelerating progress towards malaria elimination in the long term.
Overview of Role
Vector control interventions (such as bed nets and indoor residual spraying) reduce human contact with disease-carrying mosquitoes and are responsible for an estimated 78% of the decline of malaria in Sub-Saharan Africa since 2000. CHAI supports National Malaria Control Programs (NMCPs) around the world by providing analytical, operational, and management expertise to help countries optimize the efficiency and effectiveness of vector control interventions to achieve maximal health impact. In addition, CHAI provides global malaria stakeholders with insight into the current and future global need and demand for vector control interventions, helping to maintain and improve countries’ access to these important malaria prevention tools.
CHAI is seeking a Senior Associate to work on three key areas related to vector control commodities: a) providing analytical support on vector control commodity forecasting, b) developing new approaches to promote consistently high quality vector control products, especially bed nets, and c) understanding and evaluating new market opportunities in malaria vector control.
- Forecasting project (~50%): CHAI is working to develop global forecasting models that project annual need and procurement of malaria commodities, including bed nets and insecticides used for indoor residual spraying. This position will help to collect and collate data inputs from global and national partners and collaborators, particularly data related to bed nets; support data analyses and contribute to market forecasting models/tools; research national strategic plans and other data-based assumptions that go into projections of commodity demand at the national and global level; provide technical review and thought partnership for forecasting models and outputs; and communicate findings to global stakeholders.
- Bed net quality (~40%): There is an enormous body of evidence supporting the critical impact of bed nets on preventing malaria and therefore saving lives. In response to this evidence and their cost effectiveness, over two billion nets have been distributed worldwide in the last two decades. With these volumes comes the ethical obligation of delivering high quality nets. This role will involve understanding the different elements that influence bed net quality, from policy to design to procurement to monitoring, and packaging this information to help shape structural improvements to the future quality of nets. It will also involve considering how changes to net quality would affect future supply and demand of nets.
- New products (~10%): This role will involve keeping track of the many new vector control products under development, the supporting evidence behind these products, the potential relevance of these products to malaria vector control programs, and potential demand for these products.
The position requires a highly motivated individual with outstanding analytical, problem-solving, organizational, and communication skills. They must exhibit a passion for results and commitment to excellence. The candidate must have excellent communications skills, patience, and cultural sensitivity, as they will be working on complex topics with global and country partners as well as multiple teams at CHAI. The successful Senior Associate will have strong organizational and project management skills, and will be capable of conducting rapid quantitative analysis and communicating such analysis in a clear and concise manner to colleagues and partners. The successful candidate will be able to function efficiently in a semi-independent setting, and thus will be a self-motivated individual capable of managing multiple tasks at once and driving multiple work flows forward. CHAI places great value on the following qualities in its staff: resourcefulness, responsibility, patience, tenacity, humility, independence, energy, and work ethic.
 Bhatt, et al. “The effect of malaria control on Plasmodium falciparum in Africa between 2000 and 2015.” Nature. 08 October, 2015.
Vector Control – Commodity Forecasting
- Work closely with internal and external partners to collate, interpret, and analyze vector control commodity data in support of a multi-year global malaria commodities forecast
- Identify and quantify potential implications of changing trends in insecticide resistance, commodity pricing, donor and country budgets, available products, and normative guidance on vector control commodity volumes
- Attend, contribute to, and sometimes lead meetings with key vector control partners, and support relationship building and relationship management with these partners
- Support writing and editing of reports for the donor and dissemination
- Analyze and review forecast model outputs
- Attend and participate in key partner and internal meetings
Quality in Vector Control Products
- Research the levers affecting vector control product quality, particularly bed net quality – including policy guidelines, minimum standards, pre-qualification processes, global/procurer/country-level quality assurance and quality control, transportation and storage conditions, and in-country monitoring
- Package information from research, stakeholder conversations, and thought leadership into high-quality and clear presentations, reports, and publications
New and Pipeline Vector Control Products
- Conduct literature reviews, stakeholder conversations, and data analysis on new and upcoming products, synthesize this information for dissemination, and provide strategic thought partnership on how CHAI and partners could support roll-out of new products
- For innovative program initiatives, translate high-level ideas into actionable project workplans and pitch decks
- Quantify the relevant market demand through top-down or bottom-up analyses
- Support scoping for innovative approaches to increasing efficiency and effectiveness of vector control intervention mixes with the aim of efficiently achieving desired health impact of the preventive intervention
- Proactively develop and maintain strong working relationships with key stakeholders across government and non-governmental organizations
- Represent CHAI at relevant working groups and meetings to provide appropriate technical support as necessary
- Support the continuous development and refinement of the CHAI Vector Control Strategy
- Bachelor or Master’s degree in biology, chemistry, social sciences, business, or a related field
- 3-5 years of experience in a demanding private sector environment, such as strategy consulting, health commodity market intelligence, or public sector advisory position
- Available for up to 20% travel
- Exceptional quantitative, presentation, and writing skills, including fluency in MS Excel, PowerPoint, and Word
- Excellent written and oral communications skills, including report-writing skills
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Excellent organization, time management, and project management skills
- Strong work ethic, integrity, credibility, and dedication to CHAI’s mission
- Demonstrated ability to work independently in unstructured settings and to adapt to new environments and challenges
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and priorities simultaneously
- Ability to be effective, patient, and thoughtful in high-pressure situations
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and multicultural environment
- Demonstrated ability to quickly learn and act upon technical information
- Demonstrated ability to translate scientific knowledge into actionable insights for decision-making
- Comfort and flexibility to work independently with a diverse set of counterparts
- MBA or MPH
- Experience working in pharmaceutical or medical device market research, market intelligence, wholesale distribution, or commercial strategy
- Experience working in developing countries, particularly on health related issues
- Experience working remotely with a decentralized team
#jobreference2 #region1 #region2 #region3 #region4