IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
Staff in the General Service category are recruited locally from the Primary Location area, which is where the office is located
• FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, background and culture
• Qualified female applicants, qualified nationals of non-and under-represented member nations and person with disabilities are encouraged to apply
• Everyone who works for FAO is required to adhere to the highest standards of integrity and professional conduct, and to uphold our values. FAO has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and FAO, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination.
• All selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks
• All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
• The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization.
This position is typically located either in a central finance or accounting division (accounts payable, treasury, etc.) or in a service center providing support and transactions processing services to client departments at FAO Headquarters. The position may also be located in a Decentralized Office, where a wide range of finance support and administrative duties are undertaken.
The Finance Assistant (Shared Service Centre) undertakes finance-related support activities of medium complexity. He/she ensures quality, transparency and consistency of processes. The job role requires in-depth knowledge and interpretation of financial policies, procedures and practices. The incumbent provides procedural guidance to other staff in the Organization as and when needed.
The Finance Assistant (Shared Service Centre) performs his/her work autonomously, showing a high degree of initiative, judgment and responsibility. Supervision received is focused on guidance regarding cases of high complexity and on facilitating service delivery and meeting client requirements. The incumbent effectively organizes his/her own work and provides relevant guidance and training to junior colleagues and internal customers.
The incumbent maintains a wide range of contacts with staff throughout the Organization as well as with colleagues within and outside of core team, providing experienced coordination and delivery of finance support processes and services.
- Review source documents for completeness, accuracy and validity;
- Extract details of transactions from the integrated financial system in order to analyze and verify;
- Investigate errors, take corrective actions; perform reviews and ensure proper clearance procedures;
- Support continuous improvement efforts by participating in testing and implementation of new financial process automations;
- Assist in monitoring transactions, ensure ex-ante or post-factum due diligence is performed;
- Prepare worksheets and assist in preparation of reports by compiling and consolidating data from various sources;
- Draft and prepare correspondence and respond to queries;
- Evaluate ongoing financial support requirements, adapt service provision to meet changing needs and solve operational problems as required;
- Provide procedural guidance to staff; guide and train junior finance support staff;
- Perform other duties as required.
Impact Of Work
The incumbent's work impacts directly on the efficiency, effectiveness, accuracy and timeliness of the services provided by the team. He/she plays a pro-active role in the successful achievement of the unit's mandate.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
Education: Secondary School Education
Experience: Two years of relevant experience in finance, accounting, cash management and/or asset management related support work
Languages: Working knowledge of English
IT Skills: Very good knowledge of MS Office applications, Internet and office technology equipment
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Basic knowledge of financial rules and regulations, accounting policies and practices in order to ensure that all processing controls are strictly adhered to
- Good knowledge of the processing and approval process of a variety of transactions; ensuring audit requirements are maintained regarding supporting document retention, adherence to rules, accuracy and overall completeness
- Thorough knowledge of the communication and documentation standards
Desirable Qualifications and Skills
- Experience with integrated ERP systems (Oracle)
- Limited knowledge (level B) of other FAO official languages (French, Spanish, Arabic, Russian or Chinese)
- Experience in Shared Services Centre work environment
Evaluation of qualified applicants may include an assessment exercise and a technical / competency-based interview.
FAO staff are expected to adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO,
Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency