Finance and Administration Assistant
Brazil (United States of America)
Finance and Administration Assistant
Location: Brasília, Brazil
Application Deadline: 25 July, 2021
Type of Contract: Service Contract (SB3)
Duration: 01 year (renewable)
The World Food Programme (WFP) is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. Finding long-term and sustainable solutions to chronic hunger is also a part of the WFP mandate. The WFP Centre of Excellence against Hunger located in Brazil was launched in November 2011 and has been created as international centre of excellence. The Centre is a partnership between WFP and the Brazilian government, and its aim is to promote south to south cooperation, and provide support to governments in Africa, Asia and Latin America in capacity development in the areas of School Feeding, Nutrition and Food Security.
The Centre is an innovation that seeks to respond government demands for technical support to strengthen their national capacities and knowledge on sustainable school feeding and to support them in the design and management of healthy and sustainable national school feeding and other hunger programmes.
At WFP Brazil, we are looking for talented professionals to support our Finance and Administration team in Brasilia. As Finance Admnistration Assistant, you will work under the general supervision of the Centre´s Director and reports directly to the Finance and Administration Officer.
Duties and Responsibilities
Accountabilities: Within delegated authority, the Finance and Administration Assistant will be responsible for the following duties:
- Monitor payable, advance and other receivable items taking necessary action to ensure adequate registration and settlement in corporate systems. Prepare necessary cash receipt and journal vouchers as applicable.
- Initiate payment processing, review information uploaded in the system, guide staff about the referred documents and ensure payments have all proper documentation and approvals throughout the entire flow of payment process (deriving from Procurement, Travel, Human Resources or from other sources);
- Verify vendor claims and contracts for accuracy and conformance with WFP finance rules and regulations; perform claim verifications against documentation to ensure that purchases/services are properly authorized and that the goods have been received or services rendered and ensure timely recording and processing of vendor invoices;
- Monitor bank and petty cash accounts regularly to ensure that adequate funds are available and appropriately disbursed.
- Assist in monitoring status of expenditures and allotments through WFP corporate systems, record variations, update and consolidate budget tables for all office grants when needed.
- Prepare monthly expenditure and income forecast tables to support informed decision-making regarding replenishment of the local Imprest Account.
- Perform bank reconciliation and maintain relevant General Ledger Accounts. Bring any discrepancy or inaccuracy to the attention of the supervisor, initiate and follow up corrective actions.
- Extract and input data from various sources in administrative, human resources, procurement and other WFP corporate systems to support preparation and submission of monthly and annual reports packages to HQ.
- Assist in the preparation of budget, accounting, financial and statistical reports for internal use and for donors, as required; Guide and train colleagues from other areas in the office engaged in analysing/translating financial reports into narrative.
- Assist in setup and implementation of proper accounting procedures, systems and internal controls;
Provide guidance and on-the-job training to other staff, to ensure services are delivered consistently and to the required standards.
- Draft or prepare correspondence to respond to enquiries in respect to relevant financial, administration and audit matters; Set up, classify and maintain eletronic and physical files;
- Review and maintain updated data of corporate systems for: fixed assets, fleet management system and premises administration to ensure that all information entered is accurate.
- Review and support travel related processes.
- Negotiate terms of contracts with service providers and other stakeholders, when applicable.
- Process monthly payroll in cross-functional systems by collecting supporting documentation, reviewing spreadsheets, overtime reports, entitlements and, migrating consolited files. Support overall activities of Human Resources Unit.
- Backstop colleagues in the Finance and Administration Unit and perform other related duties as required.
Produces organized, quality technical and/or procedural work with well documented records conforming to required format and with well analyzed data. Demonstrated competence in required processes where actions are interlinked with other entities or interaction requested with specialized staff; General processes are completed using full knowledge and understanding of a body of rules, practices, policies and procedures, or quality technical support is provided to specialized activities.
Critical Success Factors:
Sound judgment; ability to extract, interpret, analyze and format data and to resolve operational problems. Ability to work with minimum of supervision; to supervise and train support staff; and to work effectively with people of different national and cultural backgrounds. Ability to work with accuracy under time constraints and pressure; to deal patiently and tactfully with staff members and others and to have a high sense of confidentiality, initiative and good judgment.
University degree in Economics, Accounting, Mathematics, Administration, Foreign Trade or related areas. Advanced studies degree in one of these areas is an advantage.
At least three years of progressively responsible clerical work experience in general administrative work including at least two years in the field of finance, accounting, budget, audit or another related field. Previous experience in the UN and negotiation skills will be considered an asset.
Experience utilizing computers, microsoft package, in special spreadsheets. General knowledge of UN system financial policies, rules, regulations and procedures will be considered an asset. Knowledge of banking systems (national and international) and experience with ERP systems will be considered an advantage.
Fluency in both oral and written communication in Portuguese and English.
Description of the behaviour expected for the proficiency level
Internal Controls & Compliance
Demonstrates basic knowledge of internal controls, risk management, and monitoring mechanisms and their applicability to WFP's critical activities.
Performance Budgeting, Analysis & Reporting
Demonstrates participation in business planning efforts by developing basic project-level budgets and forecasts, incorporating information from various sources as appropriate to monitor KPIs.
Demonstrates ability to track and compile reports on HQ and Field staffing and resource usage on a project-level basis.
Financial Mgmt. & Accounting Principles
Applies knowledge of financial and accounting principles and practices to ensure compliance with WFP policies, applicable procedures and accounting standards.
Step 1 - Go to: http://www1.wfp.org/careers/job-openings - Register and create your online CV.
Step 2 – Click on - Finance and Administration Assistant - Apply to submit your application.
NOTE: You must complete Step 1 and 2 in order for your application to be considered for this vacancy.
The candidate must have Brazilian Nationality or be legally authorized to work in the country.
WFP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply.