Head of Programme, Ethiopia
Addis Ababa (Ethiopia)
Ethiopia Country Office is looking to fill its vacancy of Head of Programme. The position holder is to assume overall responsibility for programme development and strategic vision in the country, promoting learning and a cost conscious culture as well as ensure effective and constructive communication between related functions and Area offices.
The Head of Programme has the overall responsibility to develop and ensure good partnership relations and ensure programme relevant advocacy priorities are identified and taken forward. The position also has line management responsibility to manage and ensure support and capacity building related to PCM, M&E framework, integrated programming and programme quality.
The Programme Development Unit, led by the Head of Programme, supports with development of capacity in core competencies and cross-cutting themes, working collaboratively and in a matrix structure with the Head of Support, Area Manager, and the regional Programme department. The Head of Programme takes lead on donor relations, monitoring and evaluation, and other specialist areas as assigned. This will be fulfilled through the following specific responsibilities:
- Ensure strategic programme development in the country in line with the region and global programme initiatives.
- Overseeing specific advances in NRC’s Innovation, Protection, Markets and Digital programming, through an increasingly localised and networked approach
- Contribute to expanding the use of Cash Based Programmes and increase use of technology as a way of increasing efficiency of the programmes
- Contribute to strengthening accountability to beneficiaries through improving M&E systems, the establishment of beneficiary feedback and complaints mechanisms and improved needs assessments for evidence based programming.
- Facilitate initiatives for integrated programme analysis and response analysis, including the integration of relevant cross-cutting issues such as protection, safe programming and access
- Oversee Project Cycle Management (PCM), including through field support missions
- Liaise with Area managers to explore and create synergies, and ensure effective and constructive communication between the country offices (CO) and area offices (AO).
- Provide contextual programme analysis as input to the county strategy, annual and trimestral reports.
- Ensure organisational learning from programme implementation and overall programme capacity building in the country.
- Manage performance and staff development of the Programme department.
- Ensure current donor relations are well managed and explore potential new donor opportunities
- Ensure programme relevant advocacy priorities are identified and taken forward.
- Minimum 8 years’ experience from a senior management position in a humanitarian/ recovery context
- High level of communication, interpersonal, representation and negotiation skills
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal
Context/Specific skills, knowledge and experience:
- Knowledge of the context in Ethiopia is advantageous
- Culturally sensitive, with the ability to work within different cultural contexts
- Experience in resource mobilisation and in particular working with EU donors, American donors and UN agencies is advantagoeus
- Empowering and building trust and community mobilization
For detailed information on the requirements of the role, please view this job description
What We Offer
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to join our work culture that empowers every employee to share ideas and take responsibility: At NRC we think outside the box. We encourage ideas and give responsibility to all employees at all levels, to help solve the complex issues that we face. You will have many opportunities to be heard and take the initiative
- 24 months fixed term contract renewable subject to funding
- Management Grade 11 in NRC's grade structure
- Family duty station with accompanied benefits
- An opportunity to match your career to a compelling cause
- A chance to meet and work with people who are the best in their fields
Internal candidates are encouraged to apply but we are also open to external applicants who can show a commitment to NRC and being part of a challenging, but important mission to make a difference.
To apply as an internal candidate, click on the suitcase icon “I am an employee” on the top right of the page to be redirected to NRC’s internal career site
**Apply by completing all the system required fields of your experience in your application**