Working under the guidance and supervision of Health Manager. The AFI Surveillance Clinical Officer will work closely with the rest of the MOH team based at Kakuma Refugee Camp Hospital to identify potential AFI cases and controls, consent eligible participants and collect samples, clinical and EPI information.
- Identify potential AFI participants both cases and controls
- Consent study participants
- Collect quality clinical and EPI information
- Collect quality specimens
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the study coordinator.
- Liaise with the study coordinator for administration issues, supplies and specimen transport.
- Attend meetings and trainings related to the study as requested.
- Work closely with the national surveillance coordinator who will oversee activities at the sentinel sites.
- Work closely with the hospital disease surveillance and infection control teams to detect and prevent/contain any outbreak
- Coordinate implementation of any sub-studies as may be planned by the influenza program
- Work closely with the Ministry of Health to sensitize and coordinate IDSR disease surveillance activities at the hospital
- Assist in monitoring and evaluation activities to document activities and provide quality assurance to improve program service delivery
- Ensure that all relevant records are properly kept and updated
- Monitor and supervise rational use of supplies.
- Maintain equipment in good condition and submit regular inventory reports of the same.
- Conduct regular Continuous Medical Education and On-job trainings to other staff in the unit and the program.
- Compile and submit weekly updated and accurate HIS reports.
- Carry out other relevant and/or requested duties as may be required by the supervisor.
Key Result Areas:
- Surveillance of Acute febrile illness is carried out effectively and efficiently through proper physical examination, laboratory specimen collection and data collection and recording.
- Ensuring proper storage and transport of all samples collected to the laboratory within the camp and KEMRI when required.
- Ensure monitoring and evaluation activities of the project are well documented and provide quality assurance to improve the program’s service delivery.