2277 Project Assistant
The Project shall support the Ministry of Construction, Transport and Infrastructure (MCTI) to strengthen administrative capacity and at the same time support the MCTI in their work with other relevant state institutions and state-owned companies to plan for and deliver construction and infrastructure investment projects of strategic importance by further enhancing MCTI`s policy planning, project development and other relevant capacities.
The Project will address increasing capacities of MCTI to deliver large strategic investment projects in construction, transport and infrastructure areas that are managed in well-coordinated, transparent, efficient and quality manner. In order to assist Ministry to efficiently use the available funds, implement properly and effectively all necessary reforms, continue fulfilling successfully the requirements of the EU accession process, there is a need to establish the Project Implementation Unit (PIU).
In order to successfully contribute to the implementation of the Project, a Project Assistant will be engaged.
The purpose of the position is to provide support in the implementation of the Memorandum for Provision of Management and Other Support Services signed between UNDP and Ministry of Construction, Transport and Infrastructure (MCTI).
This position will ensure results oriented, effective, efficient and accountable implementation of the Project activities and achievement of Project results.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Project Assistant is responsible for providing assistance in implementation of the activities within the Memorandum for Provision of Management and Other Support Services signed between UNDP and MCTI.
Specific responsibilities will include:
Provide support for project implementation:
- Support the day to day implementation of project activities;
- Assist in development of project monitoring and evaluation framework;
- Assist in preparing work plans and project reports;
- Assist System Optimization Manager in collecting policy-related and other relevant information, documents and data, for further use in project management;
- Support organization and coordination of meetings, training sessions, workshops, conferences and project events and prepare reports and meeting minutes, as required;
- Prepare briefs, talking points and relevant communication materials;
- Draft correspondence on project issues, as required;
- Establish and maintain project filing system, incoming and outgoing correspondence and maintain calendar of events;
- Maintain cooperation and communication with project’s partners and beneficiaries on the implementation of the agreed activities, especially for the events, trainings, workshops, etc.;
- Facilitate knowledge building and knowledge sharing within the project team
- Perform other tasks ad duties as assigned by the supervisor.
Provide support for project administration:
- Support in managing project finances, process invoices and ensure tax exemption for project related goods and services;
- Support procurement processes, provide inputs for request for quotations/proposals, prepare tenders and small procurements (canvassing), provide inputs for UNDP procurement plan;
- Support recruitment of short-term consultants in line with rules and regulations;
- Assist project teams, experts and consultants on travel and logistics matters;
- Perform other tasks ad duties as assigned by the supervisor;
- Present information for audit;
- Ensure full compliance of activities with UNDP rules, regulations, and policies.
Project Assistant will work under the guidance and direct supervision of the System Optimization Manager and in cooperation with the Ministry of Construction, Transport and Infrastructure (MCTI) staff.
- Good communication, coordination and facilitation skills;
- Consistently ensures timeliness and quality of the project outputs;
- Establishes lasting relationships and substantive dialogue with clients;
- Eager to share knowledge and experience;
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism;
- Strong oral and written communication skills;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling ethical standards.
Desired additional skills and competencies
The following specific experiences will be considered as an asset:
- Experience as an assistant in complex development projects, with strong capacity building components;
- Excellent understanding of Serbia's socio-economic situation;
- Understanding of the current state of play and major development challenges;
- Familiarity with the donor assistance environment in Serbia Knowledge in the use of computers and office software packages and handling of web-based management systems.
Required Skills and Experience
- High school diploma is required. A Bachelor’s degree in social sciences, political science, public or business administration, economics or related field would be considered a strong asset.
- Minimum 5 years of relevant experience in an assistant position, preferably in international/multilateral development context with High school diploma (or Bachelor’s Degree with 2 years of experience).
- Experience in providing assistance to implementing projects/processes that included extensive communication, coordination and capacity building elements.
- Experience in cooperation and communication with public institutions, international organizations, businesses and civil society organizations.
- Excellent knowledge of written and spoken Serbian and working knowledge of English.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.