Team Leader - Business Innovation
Suva (Fiji )
- Suva-based position (Fiji)
- Attractive expatriate package
- Join the principal development organisation in the Pacific region
The Pacific Community (SPC) is the principal scientific and technical organisation in the Pacific region, supporting development since 1947. We are an international development organisation owned and governed by our 26 country and territory members. In pursuit of sustainable development to benefit Pacific people, our organisation works across more than 20 sectors. We are known for our knowledge and innovation in such areas as fisheries science, public health, geoscience, and conservation of plant genetic resources for food and agriculture.
The Operations and Management Directorate (OMD) provides corporate services to all SPC divisions and programmes. It consists of three key teams: Finance, Human Resources and Information Services. OMD is focused on improving the effectiveness of systems, policies and management so as to provide high-quality customer-oriented services.
The role – Team Leader – Business Innovation is responsible for managing and developing SPC’s Corporate Business Systems. This role will develop, manage and co-ordinate the critical activities of SPC business applications, focusing on innovation, business analysis and technical service delivery. The Team Leader will provide direction for implementing and transitioning to new technical solutions and adopt best practice application operations and exploit new technologies, including 3rd party supplier and consultant management.
The key responsibilities of the role include:
- Review, analyse and document priority business requirements identified by SPC staff, business users and other essential stakeholders, and provide timely and appropriate recommendations and strategic direction in support of the strategic objectives of SPC
- Technical management and supervision of staff involved in the development and support of SPC-wide applications and the technical management of preferred suppliers and vendors
- Participate in the development and use of endorsed SPC project guidelines and standards, and apply those techniques to manage, implement and deploy approved ICT projects
- Ensure compliance of SPC corporate applications with all SPC’s legal obligations, policies and procedures and build SPC’s compliance with any ICT specific policies
- Facilitates coordination the activities of ICT resources in the SPC divisions and leads the establishment of technical standards and guidelines for quality control. Identifies opportunities for cross-project, cross-section, and inter-divisional collaboration and knowledge sharing.
- Manage technology change and participate in the preparation and design of training opportunities to SPC staff
For a more detailed account of the key responsibilities, please refer to the job description provided.
Key selection criteria
- Specialised degree in computer science, information technology, information management, or equivalent vocational certificates and work experience that is relevant and current
Knowledge and experience
- At least 10 years of experience in analysing, designing and delivering software solutions for larger organisations
- More than 5 years of experience on technical project management and the successful implementation of medium to large financial, HR, asset management and related applications
- Experience with cloud based financial management and HR applications (preferably Microsoft Dynamics), including the migration of on premises applications to the Cloud
- Experience with ITSM solution such as ServiceNow and working with workflows and automation tools
- More than 5 years of experience in the use of Microsoft Office 365 Cloud Suite
- Experience with producing system and user manual documentation for deployed applications.
- Technical innovation skills
- Strong business acumen with excellent relationship management skills
- Change management skills
- Project/programme/portfolio management, and contract/vendor management skills
- Ability in the provision of user training and support, particularly for deployed applications
- Good customer relations skills
- Excellent English communication skills (oral and written) with a working knowledge of French being an advantage
Interpersonal skills and cultural awareness
- Ability to work in a multicultural, inclusive and equitable environment
Salary, terms and conditions
Contract Duration – 3 years
Due to the current travel restrictions caused by the global COVID-19 pandemic, and the priority SPC places on its staff safety, health and well-being, please note that there may be delays in taking up the appointment. These matters will be discussed thoroughly with successful candidates. In most cases, any appointment and on-boarding would only commence when relocation to the duty station is permitted.
Remuneration – The Team Leader – Business Innovation is a Band 11 position in SPC’s 2021 salary scale, with a starting salary range of 3,015‒3,769 SDR (special drawing rights) per month, which currently converts to approximately FJD 9,107–11,383 (USD 4,191–5,239; EUR 3,699–4,624). An offer of appointment for an initial contract will normally be made in the lower half of this range, with due consideration given to experience and qualifications. Progression within the salary scale will be based on annual performance reviews. Remuneration of expatriate SPC staff members is not subject to income tax in Fiji; Fiji nationals employed by SPC in Fiji will be subject to income tax.
Benefits for international employees based in Fiji – SPC provides a housing allowance of FJD 1,350–3,000 per month. Establishment and repatriation grant, removal expenses, airfares, home leave travel, health and life and disability insurances and education allowances are available for eligible employees and their eligible dependents. Employees are entitled to 25 working days of annual leave per annum and other types of leave, and access to SPC’s Provident Fund (contributing 8% of salary, to which SPC adds a matching contribution).
Languages – SPC’s working languages are English and French.
Recruitment principles – SPC’s recruitment is based on merit and fairness, and candidates are competing in a selection process that is fair, transparent and non-discriminatory. SPC is an equal-opportunity employer, and is committed to cultural and gender diversity, including bilingualism, and will seek to attract and appoint candidates who respect these values. Due attention is given to gender equity and the maintenance of strong representation from Pacific Island professionals. If two interviewed candidates are ranked equal by the selection panel, preference will be given to the Pacific Islander.
Closing Date – 11 August 2021 at 11:45pm Fiji time
Applicants must apply online at http://careers.spc.int/
Hard copies of applications will not be accepted.
For your application to be considered, you must provide us with:
- an updated resume
- contact details for three professional referees
- a cover letter detailing your skills, experience and interest in this position
- responses to all screening questions
Please ensure your documents are in Microsoft Word or Adobe PDF format.
Applicants should not attach copies of qualifications or letters of reference. These documents may be requested at a later stage.
For international staff in Fiji, only one foreign national per family can be employed with an entity operating in Fiji at any one given time. SPC may assist on a case-by-case basis with submissions to Fiji Ministry of Foreign Affairs for their consideration and final approval. SPC cannot and does not make any guarantee whatsoever of approval for such applications to the Fijian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and where an application is approved, the spouse or partner will subject to such terms and conditions as may be set from time to time by the Ministry.
Please ensure that you respond to all the screening questions. If you do not respond to the screening questions, your application will be considered incomplete and will not be reviewed at shortlisting stage.
- What motivated you to apply for this position, why does it appeal to you?
- What are some key attributes, skills, competencies and experiences you think are necessary to succeed in this role?
- What was a successful project you have worked on, and describe some of the critical success factors? Describe to us a project experience that didn't go so well. What were some of the contributing factors?
JD - Team Leader - Business Innovation.docx