UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
The Youth Leadership Programme (YLP) focuses on helping young people address sustainable development challenges, provide them with a series of interactive hands‐on learning workshops, ongoing support and targeted mentoring. By equipping youth with new tools, YLP allows both its participants and UNDP staff to identify new entry points for change and develop various approaches in social innovation and project methodologies highlighting the importance of human-centered design.
YLP seeks to engage 100,000 young men and women in the next three years across the region, supporting them to be advocates for SGDs agenda and innovators for development solutions through design thinking process. YLP impact is defined by number of prototypes for solutions that will be produced by those youth.
The objective of this assignment is to support youth programming and the implementation of the Youth Leadership programme at the country level as well as the regional and global level. The Project Assistant will work under the supervision and guidance of the UNDP Youth Focal Points both at the country and regional levels. S/he will be an integral part of the UNDP Country office and Regional Programme team and will play an important role supporting UNDP’s Country Offices and partners, with a strong focus on coordination, advocacy, planning, and evaluation.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Directly supports the YLP, where relevant and/or youth programming by following up on implementation, coordinating with partners and UNDP Country Offices, accessing regional networks, creating linkages and providing technical support.
- Contributes to strategic planning, developing innovative responses to emerging challenges and opportunities for youth in the Arab region around SDGs.
- Supports the timely preparation and quality control of all substantive technical reports, briefs and required documents, including progress reports, concept notes, background documents and briefing notes.
- Works closely with the country and regional team members in the development of project activities to promote youth’s social, political and economic empowerment in the Arab region.
- Facilitates the delivery of YLP activities by monitoring results achieved during implementation. S/he ensures and guides the appropriate application of monitoring, reporting and evaluation systems and procedures and develops enhancements if necessary.
- Publicly advocating for and speaking out on youth engagement in development (and the pursuit of SDGs achievement) nationally, which will include monthly vlogs, leading online public webinars, and social media outreach.
- Captures stories which reflect on know how (procedures, processes, tactics) and know why (lessons learned, reasons for failures/success).
- Coordinates the youth’s leadership programme’s mentorship support, where relevant.
- Conducts an overview and analysis of the relevant partners, donors and stakeholders to the project, and develops a plan for efficient flow of information between them and the project, and vice versa.
- Develops general tools/guidelines for operative communication measures at regional/national/local levels, for instance press releases, social media, press events, social media and campaigns.
- Reports at quarterly and at end of the year to supervisor and the Regional Coordinator on substantive impact of Arab Youth Delegate Programme.
- Carries other tasks as assigned by Regional Coordinator in coordination with respective supervisor.
1. Self-motivated, results-oriented professional
- Pushes self and others with minimal supervision to exceed goals, drive for measurable results in a timely manner. Be a self-started, demonstrate passion to succeed.
- Focuses on high-quality work and strong attention to detail. Ability to articulate and promote their ideas and programs across the company.
- Strong commitment to deadlines and responsibilities for the growth of the initiative.
2. Strong team player with a collaborative mindset
- Communicates effectively with colleagues at all levels, verbally and in writing. Uses the right level of detail, is concise, accurate and timely. Receptive to the opinions of others.
- Proven multi-tasking skills and experience in working with virtual teams in a geographical dispersed organization.
- Energetic and motivated team player with ability to deal with time pressure, completing priorities, team members with different backgrounds and cultural identities.
3. Comfortable in dealing with ambiguity
- Ability to operate effectively in fast-paced environment with high degree of change.
- Excellent co-ordination experience, with the ability to lead and handle multiple time-sensitive, cross-functional activities.
- Deep understanding of cultural differences that are relevant to the region of responsibility.
4. Passionate promoter of technology and skills
- Passion for technology and enthusiasm for learning/skills development.
Required Skills and Experience
Minimum Academic Education
Bachelor’s degree in business administration, Social Science, Engineering or any other related field.
Minimum years of relevant Work experience
At least 0-3 years of relevant work experience.
Required skills and competencies
- Experience in Managing Youth Activities is required.
- Familiar with Design Thinking and Innovation Methodologies.
- Familiar with Entrepreneurship Ecosystem in Egypt.
Desired additional skills and competencies
- Experience in planning and organizing innovation camps or relevant activities
- Former participant in Student activities is an asset.
- Experience in delivering trainings and organizing workshops is required.
Required Language(s) (at working level)
Excellent English and Arabic
Professional CertificatesIf required for specific services. For example: ACCA, CIPS, CISCO, etc.
Important applicant information
All posts in the NPSA categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.