Project Manager - Enhancing Democracy in Moldova through inclusive and transparent elections Project (EDMITE II) - UNDP Moldova
Electoral support and capacity development are part of UNDP’s democratic governance assistance worldwide, through which UNDP helps nations build democratic frameworks to improve representation, accountability, and transparency for the benefit of citizens.
UNDP has a long-standing partnership with the Central Electoral Commission (CEC) aiming at advancing the democratic electoral processes in Moldova by consolidating the transparency and efficiency of elections’ management, modernization of electoral IT solutions and enhancing the inclusiveness and participation of voters.
During 2012 – 2017, UNDP offered support to the CEC in the areas of gender equality and human rights, institutional capacity development, strategic development of the Center for Continuous Electoral Training to deliver professional training to electoral officials, political party finance legislation implementation and transparent electoral reform process. Moreover, substantial steps were undertaken in addressing crucial vulnerabilities related to the data quality and data exchange among key registers owned by other stakeholder institutions. Thus, the Civil Status Service, the State Enterprise “Cadastru” as well as the e-Government Centre received UNDP support in the revision or development of needed strategic and legal frameworks to create an interoperable environment among the population registration institutions and services, that in the long run will affect positively, not only the electoral process, but a wider Government e-Transformation Agenda.
Since 2017, the Project "Enhancing democracy in Moldova through inclusive and transparent elections” supports the Central Electoral Commission to enhance the transparency and inclusiveness of the electoral process in Moldova by ensuring a more independent and credible electoral administration and better informed and pro-active citizens.
With the continuous UNDP assistance, the CEC demonstrated a high capacity of carrying out transparent, safe and “well-administered” elections (as attested by OSCE/ODIHR Observation Mission) throughout challenging electoral cycles, including the 2020 Presidential Elections, organized in the context of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Building on the sustainable results achieved during its first phase of implementation (2017 – 2020), the objectives of the current Project phase (2020 – 2023) are:
- Enhance the inclusiveness of the electoral process by increasing the functional and technical capacities of the State Automated Information System “Elections” (SAISE);
- Improve the legal and regulatory framework to respond to the EOM recommendations;
- Strengthen the capacity for effective and coherent oversight and monitoring on political party financing;
- Enhance the political participation of citizens by setting up and implementing the voters’ information and civic education programs.
To achieve the objectives and ensure the sustainability of results, the Project will further enhance strategic partnerships and will engage with key stakeholders, including public institutions, civil society organizations and the donor community. Moreover, the Project will facilitate a constructive dialogue amongst the relevant national and international stakeholders on electoral processes by providing the secretariat and co-charing the Elections Partners’ Platform, established with UNDP support.
The Project’s interventions will have systematic and significant implications at policy/legislation, coordination, institutional and electoral service provision levels, with a sustainable impact at the national level. Thematic interventions will be implemented in the field of elections and democracy, focusing on strengthening the citizens’ ability to understand electoral processes, form an independent opinion and hold the relevant stakeholders to account.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the UNDP Effective Governance Cluster Leader and in close coordination with the International Electoral Advisor, the incumbent provides effective and efficient coordination of all components under the Project through a range of actions contributing to the design, planning, implementation, management, monitoring and reporting of the corresponding activities in line with the Project Document and the Multi-Year Work Plan. The Project Manager applies and promotes the principles of results-based management (RBM), as well as client-oriented approach consistent with UNDP rules and regulations. He/she is responsible and accountable to the Project Steering Committee for the Project’s results.
The Project Manager works in close collaboration with the Programme, Operations, Communications and other teams in the UNDP Country Office (CO) for effective achievement of results, anticipating and contributing to resolving complex project-related issues and information delivery. He/she also collaborates with other UN projects and other development partners in supporting the Central Electoral Commission, Center for Continuous Electoral Training, Civil Status Service, SE “Cadastru”, e-Government Center and other national stakeholders. The incumbent is expected to exercise full compliance with UNDP programming, financial, procurement and administrative rules, regulations, policies and strategies, as well as implementation of the effective internal control systems.
The Project Manager, under the guidance and supervision of UNDP Effective Governance Cluster Leader, will ensure the provision of development services and products (commensurate with the scope of the Project) of the highest quality and standards to national counterparts and clients through applying HRBA and gender equality (GE) approaches. More specifically, the Project Manager will perform the following tasks:
Project Management and Coordination
- Ensure sound management of the Project from the planning to implementation and evaluation stages;
- Coordinate and ensure the timely and efficient delivery of Project outputs and products leading to the achievement of expected results;
- Ensure overall coordination of the activities of the Project and their coordination with other relevant UNDP Projects;
- Within the strategic framework concerted with the national counterparts, prepare work-plans reflecting the scope of activities, timing, sequencing, costs and other inputs for the implementation of the Project activities;
- Be responsible for the coordination of the overall Project Work Plan per indicators for achieving planned results, as well as for the overall management of the Project in accordance to prevailing UNDP rules, regulations and procedures;
- Liaise with the Project Board, national counterparts, donors and UNDP Country Office to ensure that Project results are achieved and resources are managed efficiently and effectively;
- Ensure the effective management and supervision of human resources pertaining to the Project, including both staff, consultants and short-term experts; conduct periodic performance appraisals; build, lead and motivate a solid team of professionals; draft and validate terms of reference for international and national consultants;
- Ensure the efficient use of financial resources of the Project, including budgeting and budget revisions, as well as expenditure tracking and reporting;
- Continuously record and maintain relevant Project activities, issues, risks, etc. as per existing rules and procedures;
- Lead and coordinate the organization of meetings, workshops, conferences and related activities relevant to the overall implementation of the Project;
- Ensure high quality information and visibility of the Project activities to the mass media and stakeholders;
- Perform any other duties connected directly with the implementation of the Project as required.
Monitoring and Reporting
- Monitor Project implementation and activities versus set targets and indicators;
- Ensure timely and quality delivery of baseline, monitoring, evaluation plans and reports (ad-hoc, progress and final);
- Identify key performance indicators as well as develop and maintain a monitoring system to ensure effective information sharing, provision of feedback and elaboration of top quality progress reports;
- Present periodic narrative progress reports and expenditures status reports to the Steering Committee and UNDP, based on inputs provided by the Project team;
- Monitor overall allocation and disbursement of Project funds, ensuring funds are properly allocated and appropriate actions are taken to optimize their use;
- Contribute to UNDP corporate reporting by providing inputs based on Project activities and results.
Knowledge Management and Sharing
- Ensure timely and proper documentation of the Project implementation process and products developed in accordance with the UNDP guides;
- Facilitate the development of a shared approach to human rights and gender equality in all beneficiary institutions;
- Document and analyze lessons learnt that might be useful to UN system at large and UNDP in particular;
- Advise UNDP on strategies and approaches aiming at further improvement of the electoral systems and processes based on the lessons learnt and contribute to the CO’s programming in the Effective Governance area;
- Contribute to the codification and exchange of information and knowledge products within the programme and outside.
Partnership and advocacy
- Facilitate partnership building among Central Electoral Commission, Center for Continuous Electoral Training, Civil Status Service, SE “Cadastru”, e-Government Center, civil society organizations, political parties, media and the communities on the implementation of the Project;
- Ensure the facilitation and the secretariat of the Elections Partners’ Platform;
- Ensure effective partnership, networking and coordination with other relevant UNDP Projects and activities in the country for a more holistic and coherent approach to the Project implementation.
The position has a direct impact on the overall effectiveness and success of UNDP interventions and activities in the assigned sectorial/thematic area of promoting democratic governance. By helping ensure effective design, planning, implementation, and M&E of assigned sectorial/thematic area and building networks and helping mobilize resources for these areas, the Project Manager enhances the organization’s capacity and credibility in implementation of highly effective programmes with strong impact on democratic frameworks to become representative, accountable and transparent for the benefit of citizens.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standard;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality, and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats peers fairly by maintaining consistent values inspiring trust and confidence through personal credibility;
- Accepts responsibility and accountability for the quality of the outcome of his/her decisions;
- Treats all people fairly without favouritism.
Leadership and self-management
- Proactive in developing strategies to accomplish objectives;
- Focuses on impact and results and responds positively to feedback;
- Focuses on tasks/activities which have a strategic impact on Project and capacity development activities;
- Ability to establish priorities for self and others, achieve results and meet strict deadlines in an effective manner, maintaining a high-quality standard throughout;
- Tolerates conditions of stress, uncertainty or ambiguity and continues to maintain a positive outlook and to work productively;
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities;
- Builds strong relationships with clients and external actors;
- Remains calm, in control and good humour even under pressure.
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Shares knowledge and experience;
- Promotes a supportive environment to enhance partnerships, leverages resources and build support for UNDP‘s strategic initiatives;
- Collaborates with regional, national and local partners to create and apply knowledge and concepts that will help partners achieve UNDP’s development objectives within the country and regional context;
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills.
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise / In-depth knowledge of the Subject-matter
- Understands more advanced aspects of primary area of specialization as well as the fundamental concepts of related disciplines;
- Serves as internal consultant in his/her area of expertise and shares knowledge with staff;
- Continues to seek new and improved methods and systems for accomplishing the work of the unit;
- Keeps abreast of new developments in area of professional discipline and job knowledge and seeks to develop him/herself professionally;
- Demonstrates comprehensive knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments;
- Sound knowledge of the political context in the Republic of Moldova and of the governance institutions, population registration institutions and their structure;
- Strong knowledge of the electoral systems and processes;
- Strong analytical, drafting and communication skills;
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to perform a variety of specialized tasks related to Results-Based Management, including support to design, planning and implementation of Project, managing data, reporting;
- Ability to provide input to business processes, re-engineering, implementation of new system, including new IT based systems;
- Ability to engage with various partners and stakeholders at various levels, to establish and maintain contacts with senior-level officials of the host government and represent UNDP in national and regional fora;
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, is required to obtain, evaluate and interpret factual data and to prepare accurate and complete reports and other documents;
- Capacity to implement the strategic vision and programmatic goals as laid down in the Project Document;
- Proven performance in organizing and coordinating major initiatives, events or challenging inter-organizational activities;
- Adapts flexibly to changing situations, overcomes obstacles and recovers quickly from setbacks.
Required Skills and Experience
Min. Academic Education:
- Master’s Degree in international relations, political science, law, public administration or equivalent.
- Additional training or certification in project management would be an advantage.
Min. years of relevant work experience:
- At least 7 (seven) years of progressive working experience in the design, management and implementation of project-based activities, preferably related to democratic governance, strategic advice, strengthening electoral systems and processes, and/or working in a relevant position to this post;
- Previous experience in development assistance or related work for a donor or development organization;
- Proven experience in working with governmental institutions, NGOs and international organizations, successful experience working with UNDP will be a very strong advantage;
- Previous experience of work in the elections fields is a very strong advantage;
- Experience in managing a multidisciplinary team or coordination between different teams.
- Fluency in spoken and written English, Romanian and Russian.
- Working knowledge of one or more additional languages relevant for Moldova, including Bulgarian, Gagauzian, Romani, Ukrainian or sign language would be an asset.
- This position requires working closely with the independent Central Electoral Commission. This post is therefore only available to applicants who are, and are seen to be, politically neutral.