Data Visualization Analyst
Instructions to Applicants: Click on the "Apply now" button. Input your information in the appropriate Sections: personal information, language proficiency, education, resume and motivation. Upon completion of the first page, please hit "submit application" tab at the end of the page. Please ensure that CV or P11 and the Cover letter are combined in one file.
The following documents shall be required from the applicants:
- Personal CV or P11, indicating all past positions held and their main underlying functions, their durations (month/year), the qualifications, as well as the contact details (email and telephone number) of the Candidate, and at least three (3) the most recent professional references of previous supervisors. References may also include peers.
- A cover letter (maximum length: 1 page) indicating why the candidate considers him-/herself to be suitable for the position.
- Portfolio of relevant work samples. This can be provided via relevant web links or via attachment of screenshots.
Travel: a) UNDP will cover the cost of travel of the individual to the duty station, as well as their return to their home upon completion of their services. Travel costs are covered only in the event that the function will be undertaken physically in the duty station and excludes working from home arrangements.
b) Include any official travel expected to be associated with performing the functions
The UN Reform Resolution tasks UNDP to provide countries with an “integrator function” to accelerate progress towards the SDGs by tackling multiple interlinked and interdependent development challenges. The UNDP Global Policy Network (GPN) draws on expertise globally to provide more effective responses to the complex development challenges countries face in achieving the SDGs and responding to crisis in an integrated and coherent manner. Anchored in the Crisis Bureau (CB) and the Bureau for Policy and Programme Support (BPPS), the GPN has the responsibility for developing all relevant policy and guidance to support the results of UNDP’s Strategic Plan, which is aligned with the 2030 Agenda Sustainable Development Goals (SDG).
An SDG Integration Team located with UNDP’s Global Policy Network (GPN) offers a menu of services emphasizing direct short- to medium-term engagements to respond rapidly to requests from country offices for support on national implementation and monitoring of integrated policy solutions, qualitative and evidence-driven analysis for accelerated progress, and knowledge sharing and upscaling of innovative approaches to sustainable development. The team’s work emphasizes the application of evidence-driven data and analytics for SDG implementation and reporting.
In this regard, advances in digital technology are creating data at unprecedented levels of detail and speed, turning the stories of people’s lives into numbers every minute of every day, across the globe. An important focus of the integration work is to complement traditional data (e.g. national statistics, NHDR like analysis) with new and alternative sources including digital ‘breadcrumbs,’ satellite data, social media to identify emerging trends and gain new perspectives on issues in development.
Under the guidance of the Global Policy Advisor of the SDG Integration Bureau for Policy and Programme Support/Global Policy Network, the Data Visualization Analyst will support the Integration Team’s work on visual storytelling using data to strengthen the identification of emerging trends, improve understanding of evolving development issues and lead to the design of better development solutions.
- The Data Visualization Analyst will work from home;
- S/he will report to, and be directly supervised by the Global Policy Advisor of the SDG Integration Bureau for Policy and Programme Support/Global Policy Network.
- S/he will be given access to relevant information necessary for the execution of the tasks under this assignment;
- S/he will be responsible for providing her/his own workstation (i.e. laptop, internet, phone, scanner/printer, etc.) and must have access to reliable internet connection;
- Given the global consultations to be undertaken during this assignment, the Analyst is expected to be reasonably flexible with his/her availability for such consultations taking into consideration different time zones;
Duties and Responsibilities
Scope of Work
- Use data visualisation tools (Power BI, Tableau, Flourish, D3 and others) to support the development of interactive visualisations and digital products.
- Organise and visualise raw data, aggregated data, insight data, and machine learning model data
- Develop infographics through sourcing data and produce storyboards on selected issues related to poverty, inequality, and inclusive and sustainable growth;
- Work closely with “clients” - i.e. thematic teams and Country Offices - to generate visualizations and insights on specific topics using both primary and secondary data;
- Lead on decision making regarding selection of tools, presentation and approach for each activity based on client objectives, data sources and audience.
Professionalism: Shows pride in work and achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; Asks questions to clarify and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience; Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be "clients " and seeks to see things from clients' point of view; Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; Identifies clients' needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients' environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
Required Skills and Experience
Min. Academic Education
Master’s degree or equivalent in Computer Science, Engineering or Business management/administration;
Min. years of relevant Work experience
2 years experience as data visualization designer and developer
Required skills and competencies
Desired additional skills and competencies
Required Language(s) (at working level)
Excellent written and spoken English (required)