Operations and Fund Analyst
New York City (United States of America)
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
Job Purpose and Organizational Context
In 2017, the European Union and the United Nations established the Spotlight Initiative aimed at addressing all forms of violence against women and girls. The Spotlight Initiative follows a transformative and evidence-based approach, addressing unequal power relations between men and women and focusing on gender equality and women’s empowerment. In line with the principles of Agenda 2030, this approach takes a human rights-based approach and considers the specific needs of women and girls who experience multiple and intersecting forms of discrimination in order to uphold the principle of “leaving no one behind”. To manage this Initiative, the European Union and the United Nations established a Multi-Partner Trust Fund (MPTF) with a dedicated governance structure. Within the MPTF Secretariat, The Senior Fund Manager leads the Management Unit of the Spotlight Initiative Secretariat.
The Spotlight Initiative Secretariat, composed of a Management Unit and a Technical Unit, supports the Operational Steering Committee of the Fund with strategic advice, coordinating the Fund’s operations and programming.
The Management Unit is staffed with further experts in fund portfolio management. The Management Unit provides strategic, operational and administrative support to the Operational Steering Committee and is responsible for the coordination and day-to-day management of the Fund ad well as managing the portfolio of the fund. The Unit codifies the Fund’s policies and rules of procedure into an Operational Manual. The Unit also provides strategic advice and quality control over the fund operations and coordinates its governance meetings. The Management Unit facilitates collaboration and communication on Fund operations between the Executive Office of the Secretary-General, Recipient UN Organizations, and Resident Coordinators.
The Management Unit is responsible for reporting progress of funded projects through periodic progress updates (which includes consolidated narrative reports) received from Recipient UN Organizations and presenting an overview of the progress to Spotlight Initiative Governing Body and Operational Steering Committee. It is also responsible to ensure portfolio level quality assurance, in particular to ensure compliance with decisions of the Operational Steering Committee. This entails quality assurance and compliance with the fund guidance, such as the Operations Manual and other guidelines, in particular in the area of and budget compliance and quality control for the whole Spotlight Portfolio.
Staff designated to fulfill Management Unit functions will work closely with the Administrative Agent (MPTF), Recipient UN Organizations, the Governing Body, Operational Steering Committee, UN Resident Coordinators and under the overall supervision of the EOSG.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Senior Fund Manager, the Operations and Fund Analyst will manage the operational and administrative tasks required for the operations of the unit and provide overall fund management support, including the following functions:
1) Fund management support
- Provides coordination and administrative support to the meetings of the Governing Body and Operational Steering Committee, as needed, including ensuring good archiving of all related decisions and key communications.
- Supports the servicing of meetings and general communication flow including through circulating agendas, minute taking, ensuring follow-up tracking and administrative support including for key stakeholder meetings such as with the EU, the EOSG, Recipient UN Organizations HQ and other coordination or partnership efforts.
- Prepare, update and monitor the global Spotlight Secretariat budget for the Management Unit and its related Annual Work Plan.
- Track and prepare funds transfer processing documents, ensuring compliance and record keeping including preparing the fund transfer requests for EOSG and MPTF, ensuring accuracy of figures and good cash management planning.
- Support the production of the Global Annual Report with coordination, input gathering, drafting brief sections and securing necessary services (consultants, design, editing).
- Contribute to fund portfolio analysis, including financial analysis, by collecting data, analyzing the information and developing short briefs and presentations, including data visualization as relevant.
- Support the Data Analyst in the maintenance and update of the Fund Management Platform (MPTFO) and related tools as requested.
- Support the update of the Fund operational arrangements and rules of procedures related to the respective area of work (Operations Manual and other guiding documents);
- Provide overall support to the functions of the Management Unit of the Spotlight Secretariat as needed.
2) Administrative and Operations support
- Ensure the overall operational support for the Management Unit including administration, human resources, procurement, premises and finance processes liaising with relevant units and troubleshooting compliance/contractual issues as required.
- Liaise closely with the MPTF operations team for the preparing documents, decision documentation and other background documents required to complete operational processes.
- Support the Management Unit in liaising with relevant support units for IT and connectivity needs.
- Maintain the Spotlight Secretariat cloud based shared drive to ensure effective record keeping, information and documentation access.
- Makes all the necessary logistical arrangements for field missions, travel and event organization.
- Manages and maintains updated contacts database and mailing lists.
3) Country support
- Supports the Management Unit team members in providing management, operational and budget planning and troubleshooting assistance to Country and Regional teams as they implement the Spotlight programmes.
- Maintains a list of FAQs related to country support provided and in relation to the Spotlight Operations Manual to facilitate the tracking and analysis of issues raised and future updates of the manual.
- Support the quality assurance of programme budgeting, annual work planning, annual reports and related processes including budget revisions, guidance and compliance, including direct country support as needed.
- Keep track programmatic elements such as the Country-level Steering Committees composition, configurations of Spotlight Programme Management teams and other similar elements to ensure the application of global guidelines and portfolio analysis.
- Keeps track and manages all Regionals, Countries and Joint Programmes related information and relevant files in a single share drive or online tools available to all members of the Steering Committees.
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work.
- Ability to persuade others to follow.
- Ability to improve performance and satisfaction.
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform.
- Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement.
- Ability to engage with clients and provide responsive, high quality services to achieve client satisfaction.
Working in Teams
- Ability to work effectively with diverse groups of colleagues across departments towards common goals.
- Ability to manage day-to-day office activities (including but not limited to administration, HR, procurement, travel management, facilities and asset management) to meet operational needs.
- Ability to capture, develop, share and effectively use information and knowledge.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in Business Administration, Public Administration, Operations Management or a related field or a Bachelors’ degrees with 2 additional years of relevant experience in lieu of an advanced Degree.
- Minimum 2 years of relevant experience at the national and international level in international development issues, experience in client support an added advantage
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain client-oriented working relationships with stakeholders
- Experience working on financial and budgetary programme/fund management aspects required
- Advanced excel skills an added advantage
- Experience working in operations or very directly handling operational processes in UNDP or other UN Agencies is an advantage;
- Direct experience with online data management platforms such as Grant Management Systems, ERP systems (such as Atlas) and with back-end development experience being an advantage;
- Fluency in oral and written English is required.
- Proficiency in another UN working language is desirable.
Under US immigration law, acceptance of a staff position with UNDP, an international organization, may have significant implications for US Permanent Residents. UNDP advises applicants for all professional level posts that they must relinquish their US Permanent Resident status and accept a G-4 visa, or have submitted a valid application for US citizenship prior to commencement of employment.
UNDP is not in a position to provide advice or assistance on applying for US citizenship and therefore applicants are advised to seek the advice of competent immigration lawyers regarding any applications.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.