Prog Analyst, Natural Resource
In line with the One Strategic Plan of the UN in Viet Nam for the period 2017-2021, UNDP Country Programme Document (CPD) for the period 2017-2021 underlines UNDP’s work to promote green, resilient and sustainable development in Viet Nam. UNDP targeted policy advisory service and technical assistance will assist Viet Nam to mobilize, track and make more effective use of mobilized resource, including public/private domestic and international finance for biodiversity conservation, environmental protection, climate resilience and low-emission development.
UNDP has been cooperating closely with key ministries and institutions, including Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment (MONRE), Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development (MARD), Ministry of Industry and Trade (MOIT), Ministry of Health (MOH), , research institutions, universities, and sub-national authorities to introduce policy framework, scale up best practices and pilot innovative actions at localities and with businesses, in the areas of environmental protection, biodiversity conservation, waste management and treatment.
Under the supervision of Assistant Resident Representative (ARR) / Head of Climate Change and Environment, the Programme Analyst is responsible for management, development and innovation of the Environment and Biodiversity portfolio of UNDP Viet Nam, including enhancing partnership with stakeholders and resource mobilization. The Programme Analyst will work closely with the Technical Advisors, Technical Specialists, support staff in Viet Nam, and relevant Regional Technical Advisor in Bangkok Regional Hub (BRH).
Duties and Responsibilities
The Programme Analyst, Natural Resources and Biodiversity, has three main functions:
1. Effective management and implementation of the Biodiversity and Ecosystem portfolio.
2. Effective formulation and development of and resource mobilization
3. Policy advocacy and programme development
1. Effective management and implementation of the Natural Resources and Biodiversity portfolio:
- Enhance partnership and work closely and effectively with the project counterparts and development partners;
- Provide proper guidance to the project counterparts for effective planning, management and implementation of projects to ensure timely implementation of activities and chievement of quality results; including timely preparation and approval of the projects’ and work-packages’ annual and quarterly quality work-plans;
- Effectively apply result-based management (RBM) tools in management; establishment of M&E and reporting framework, including management targets and monitoring the achievement of results, performance indicators/ success criteria, and regular update of baselines, targets and milestones in the Project’s results resources frameworks;
- Timely analyze the situation in programme/project, financial and substantive monitoring and evaluation of the project, identification of operational and financial risks, development of solutions, in full compliance with Harmonized Approach to Cash Transfer (HACT) guidelines;
- Performance of the functions of project manager in Atlas as defined and participation in recruitment processes for projects;
- Participate in the recruitment and procurement processes and coordination of the mandatory and budget re-phasing exercise, mid-year and mid-term reviews, and closure of the Project;
- Exercise risk management, including timely implementation of mitigation measures, and updating risk log and integrated work plan (IWP) in the Atlas system;
- Facilitate project audits, spot-checks, and follow-up on the implementation of recommendations;
- Ensure quality documentation of the project’s lessons learnt and best practices; quality publication of technical reports, policy briefs, and results;
- Ensure synergies and coherence between projects in CC and Resilience portfolio and other related projects and activities to bring about larger benefits and impacts of the UNDP’s Climate Change and Environment Programme in Viet Nam;
- Regular briefings and timely report to supervisor on any exceptions to facilitate timely actions and informed decisions;
- Prepare regular aggregate reports on activities, outputs and outcomes, including technical progress to donors as required;
- Active participation and contribution to the UN/ UNDP’s regular reports on outputs and outcomes as well as outcome evaluations, under the framework of the UN One Strategic Plan.
2. Effective formulation and development of projects for resource mobilization
- Implementation of the UNDP partnerships and resources mobilization strategies, focusing on project formulation to mobilize funds from various external resources;
- Analyse Vietnamese development context (political, economic, social, cultural and historical), government policies, priorities/programs, and the needs of support that would influence UNDP technical assistance in Viet Nam;
- Identify policy, capacity development needs and knowledge gaps in the Government counterparts and that of communities for designing interventions and support through appropriate projects and activities;
- Work closely with UNDP technical advisors and specialists in Viet Nam and in Regional Bangkok Hub to identify opportunities for project development and mobilize resources and ensure linkage between programmes and projects in Viet Nam and these at regional and global levels;
- Effectively coordinate, facilitate and support the formulation, appraisal and approval of UNDP concept notes and pipeline project proposals on climate change resilience for mobilizing resources; This includes (i) liaising and coordinating with government counterparts and related stakeholders well-informed and engaged in the development processes; (ii) timely mobilization of technical inputs/experts to address information gaps for the formulation, appraisal and approval processes; (iii) preparing necessary documentations, reports and/or plans, as part of UNDP and donors’ requests, for submission and appraisal of pipeline projects; and collecting necessary data and information for the project formulation
3. Policy Advocacy and Programme development
- Take the lead and coordinate the development and the implementation of UNDP Viet Nam’s action framework to advance the natural resources and environment sector in Viet Nam
- Ensure an effective partnership with the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment, Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development, Ministry of Planning and Investment and relevant ministries and institution to promote sustainable natural resource management, biodiversity conservation, and ecosystem preservation, in Viet Nam. This includes mobilization and providing technical support to Viet Nam to develop and adopt a comprehensive set of policies and regulation for the circular economy
- Build strong partnerships with Government institutions, development partners, private sector, NGOs, civil society in the specific thematic areas (biodiversity, natural resource, ecosystem, forestry, nature-based solution, ecotourism, etc.)
- Facilitate policy dialogues and knowledge management, including (i) identification of sources of information related to policy-driven issues; (ii) identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learnt directly linked to programme country policy goals; and (iii) quality contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice
- Identify and formulate intervention to enhance natural resources management and biodiversity conservation in Viet Nam
- Provide technical and policy advisory services to UNDP. This includes the taking the lead and contribute to researches, policy papers, briefings, advocacy messages, and keynote speeches for policy dialogues and high-level events
- Facilitate, participate and contribute to knowledge management, knowledge networks, including communities of practice and knowledge management networks
- Promote and experiment innovative approaches in collaboration with global and national think tanks and with other team members and colleagues within UNDP.
Innovation: Ability to make new and useful ideas work
Level 4: Adept with complex concepts and challenges convention purposefully
Leadership: Ability to persuade others to follow
Level 4: Generates commitment, excitement and excellence in others
People Management: Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
Level 4: Models independent thinking and action
Communication: Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
Level 4: Synthesizes information to communicate independent analysis
Delivery: Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement
Level 4: Meets goals and quality criteria for delivery of products or services
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree or advanced study in natural resources, environment, development economics, development studies, and/or related subjects
- Minimum 5 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in providing policy advisory, advocacy, and research services, including partnership building in environmental protection and biodiversity conservation, innovation is an asset/advantage.
- Hands-on experience in design, monitoring and evaluation and management of development projects; sound knowledge of international best practices, national policies, legal and institutional frameworks in environment and biodiversity.
- Good analytical, conceptualization and communication skills; ability to work as team member in a multicultural environment.
- Good knowledge of gender equality and civil society participation are advantageous.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- Excellent command of both spoken and written English and Vietnamese, including excellent drafting skills.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.