Parent Sector : Education Sector (ED)
Duty Station: Beirut
Job Family: Education
Type of contract : Non Staff
Level : Level 5
Duration of contract : From 7 to 11 months
Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 28-JUL-2021
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
There are more than 10 million out-of-school children in the Arab region, and over 5 million children need additional education support to continue their learning. In addition, COVID-19 outbreak and Beirut explosion have exacerbated pre-existing education disparities at regional and national levels affecting more than 100 million learners in Lebanon and across the Arab region. In order to mitigate disruptions in education and to support continuous education of vulnerable population including children and youth with disabilities, underprivileged groups, forcibly displaced population and refugees, UNESCO Regional Bureau for Education in the Arab States – Beirut (hereafter referred to as the Beirut Office) has been exerting efforts in line with the Strategic Framework for Education in the Arab Region (2018-2021), which articulates UNESCO’s comparative advantage in education responses in times of crisis and emergencies.
Against this backdrop, the Basic Education and Literacy Programme Unit at Beirut Office has been working closely with relevant government institutions, sister UN agencies as well as international and local NGOs, CSOs and private sector actors, executing quality education initiatives and projects across the Arab region.
In order to support resource mobilisation and facilitate the management of extra-budgetary projects of the Basic Education and Literacy Programme, including Building Regional Education Resource Packs, Solidifying Regional Action for Right-Based Inclusive Education, Tarbiyah21 initiative and other relevant activities in the Education Sector, Beirut Office seeks to recruit a Programme Coordinator to lead the extrabudgetary projects coordination and implementation and support related initiatives led by the Sector.DUTIES, TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Coordinate the development, implementation, monitoring and reporting of the extrabudgetary projects of the Basic Education and Literacy Programme in close collaboration with donors and implementing partners;
- Provide technical assistance in the implementation of the extrabudgetary projects and relevant activities;
- Lead coordination and liaison with donors and partners and other UN agencies through appropriate coordination and partnership mechanisms;
- Support the development and implementation of communication products and knowledge management plans for the projects in line with UNESCO and donor requirements and guidelines;
- Identify prospective donors and partners and pursue partnership development and resource mobilization for the further scale up of the projects, in line with Beirut Office’s Resource Mobilization Plan;
- Participate in relevant meetings and facilitate external and internal communications;
- Perform other duties as deemed appropriate by the Director and the supervisor.
- Advanced university degree (equivalent to Masters) in social sciences, preferably in education, education palnning, basic education, teacher education;
- Professional experience of at least 7 years, relevant in the field of education;
- Professional knowledge and experience, holistic understanding of sector-wide education development in the Arab region;
- Extensive field experience in non-formal education or education in emergencies;
- Solid understanding of the region from political and socio-economic perspectices;
- Experience in programme planning, monitoring and evaluation in the context of UN is an asset;
- Sensitivity to and adaptability in gender, religion, race and nationality;
- Exceleent organisational, networking, partnership building and interpersonal skills;
- Excellent communication skills, including writing and oral expression;
- Excellent writing and oral skills in English and Arabic, knowledge in French is an asset.
Type of contract:
Service Contract (SC) with UNESCO
8 months (July 2021 – February 2022)
The incumbent is expected to work at the Beirut Office in Beirut, Lebanon.
The incumbent is expected to travel on possible missions as per the needs of projects.
The incumbent is expected to work closely with UNESCO staff in the Beirut Office, the field offices in the Arab States, the HQs as well as the donors and implementing partners.
Throughout the assignment, the SC Holder will work under the overall guidance of the Regional Director of the UNESCO Beirut Office and will report to the Chief of Education. During the fulfilment of his/her work, the SC Holder will ensure regular communication with his/her supervisor prior to the delivery of expected tasks/reports/documents.BENEFITS AND ENTITLEMENTS
Medical Insurance & Pension benefits included in gross.
Other benefits include 2½ days for each completed month of service for annual leaveSELECTION AND RECRUITMENT PROCESS
APPLICANTS MUST BE LEBANESE NATIONALS OR LEGAL RESIDENTS WITH THE RIGHT TO WORK IN LEBANON.
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO careers website. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
The deadline for applications is 08 January 2021 at midnight.
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.Footer
UNESCO applies a zero tolerance policy against all forms of harassment.
UNESCO is committed to achieve and sustain gender parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities, as well as nationals from non-and under-represented Member States (last update here) are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the highest level of confidentiality. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.