Procurement Associate - (Re-Advertised JobID 32471)
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the UN’s global development network, advocating for change and connecting countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life, as envisaged by 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. We are on the ground in more than 170 countries and territories, working with governments and people on their own solutions to global and national development challenges. As they develop local capacity, they draw on the people of UNDP and our wide range of partners that can bring about results.
The Procurement Services Unit (PSU) is part of the Bureau Management Services (BMS) Office of Procurement, in UNDP providing vital management support in areas such as administrative services, budget and finance, human resources, information and communications technology, legal issues, procurement, safety and security, administration of multi-donor trust funds, change management, and crosscutting business solutions. Procurement is a fundamental component of UNDP, accounting for nearly 70 percent of UNDP programme delivery. Despite its critical role, procurement as an operational service can be traced back to as recently as 1999, when UNDP transitioned from a developmental funding model to one that included direct execution projects in its portfolio. In the years following this shift in models, UNDP procurement experienced unprecedented growth in terms of its volume and complexity.
PSU’s mandate includes development and updating of procurement policy, providing procurement advisory and operational support to country offices and HQ units and professionalisation of the procurement function. Procurement supports programme delivery in line with UNDP's Strategic Plan and best practices in public sustainable procurement. Procurement acts in accordance with rules and regulations, the accountability framework, and ensures appropriate risk management for UNDP. PSU is a global team based in UNDP/HQ New York, Copenhagen/Denmark and in Cyberjaya/Malaysia, with additional Regional Procurement Specialists ocated in each Bureau Hub (Panama, Addis Ababa, Amman, Istanbul and Bangkok). The policy team in New York (HQ) provides overall direction and guidance to UNDP on procurement activities, and is primarily responsible for UNDP procurement policy, processes and systems. The Global Procurement Unit (GPU), based in Copenhagen, provides direct procurement services for the Global Fund, crisis prevention and recovery support, procurement support to elections programmes, and hosts the PSU Global QAP Training team. The PSU team in Cyberjaya/Malaysia, provides transactional support to global operations and manages global LTAs through an emerging eProcurement platform.
Under the guidance and supervision of the Procurement Specialist, the Procurement Associate ensures the execution of transparent and efficient procurement services undertaken by GPU in line with client expectations including procurement of technology solutions. The Procurement Associate promotes a client-focused, quality and results- oriented approach in the Unit
The Procurement Associate works in close collaboration with PSU staff for resolving complex procurement-related issues and information exchange. He/she will also work collaboratively with operations and program staff in UNDP COs and HQ business units.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Implementation of operational strategies;
- Organization of procurement processes;
- Implementation of sourcing strategy;
- Provision of logistical services;
- Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing.
Ensures implementation of the operational strategies focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance of procurement activities with UN/UNDP rules, regulations, policies and strategies; implementation of the effective internal control;
- PSO Procurement business processes mapping and elaboration of the content of internal Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in Procurement and Logistics in consultation with the direct supervisor and office management.
Organizes procurement processes on behalf of and in collaboration with UNDP COs, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Assist COs in the preparation of procurement plans for the office;
- Organization of procurement processes including preparation and conduct of RFQs, ITBs or RFPs, receipt of quotations, bids or proposals, their evaluation, negotiation of certain conditions of contracts in full compliance with UNDP rules and regulations;
- Preparation of Purchase orders and contracts in and outside Atlas, preparation of Recurring Purchase orders for contracting of services, vendors’ creation in Atlas with Buyer profile in UNDP ERP (ATLAS);
- Preparation of submissions to the Contract, Asset and Procurement Committee (CAP) and Advisory Committee on Procurement (ACP);
- Implementation of the internal control system which ensures that Purchase orders are duly prepared and dispatched; Timely corrective actions on POs with budget check errors and other problems in consultation with the COs;
- Presentation of reports on procurement in the PSU;
- Preparation of cost-recovery bills in Atlas for the procurement services provided by PSU to COs;
- Implementation of joint procurement processes for the UN Agencies in line with the UN reform.
Ensures implementation of sourcing strategy focusing on achievement of the following result:
- Development and update of the rosters of suppliers, implementation of supplier selection and evaluation.
Ensures organization of logistical services focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Organization of freight forwarding services including preparation of shipment information, collecting quotations from UN assigned freight forwarders, follow-up with the COs on delivery tracking, making warehouse arrangements at destinations, where required, etc.
Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the PSU focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Synthesis of lessons learnt and best practices in Procurement;
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
The key results have an impact on the overall execution of the PSU procurement services to COs and success in implementation of their operational strategies in relation to the relevant UNDP Practice Areas. Accurate analysis and presentation of procurement information, duly organized procurement processes ensure client satisfaction and overall timely delivery of UNDP programmes and projects.
Ability to make new and useful ideas work
Adapts ideas to context
- Interprets policies and guidance within context and applies with judgment
- Anticipates obstacles and applies practical solutions
- Continually seeks improvement and agility in service delivery
- Collaborates to improve methods and delivery
Inclusive in decision making
Proactively seeks and recognizes contributions of others
- Seeks and recognizes individual contributions;
- Encourages dialogue and acts in accordance with team inputs
- Anticipates and resolves conflict
- Embraces differing opinions seeing them as opportunities for improvement
- Gives credit to others
- Determines appropriate resources, methods, partners, information and solutions
Encourages collaboration and improves team performance
- Takes ownership of responsibilities
- Involves team in different steps of the process;
- Seeks and values other’s initiatives and expertise
Communication & Relationship Management
Expresses information and views with adaptive reasoning and appreciation for complexity and variation
- Listens to develop awareness for client needs
- Respects difference of opinion
- Finds common ground to solve problems
- Gains trust of peers, partners, clients
- Presents complex, conceptual ideas in practical terms to others
- Proactively expresses insights and/or questions in order to contribute to clarity, accuracy, and focus in one’s work
- Speaks on behalf of team with professionalism and integrity consistent with UN values
Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement
- Adapts and implements:
- Takes responsibility for addressing critical situations
- Demonstrates commitment to clients and quality
- Works to agreed goals dealing with challenges constructively
- Responsible for project implementation and/or team deliverables
Implement & Manage: Exercises skills and knowledge independently, demonstrating ability to manage self and team responsibilities, in area of work
- Informations Systems & Technology (General): Knowledge of IST innovations and concepts and ability to apply them to strategic and/or practical situations
- Procurement: Ability to acquire goods, services or works from an outside external source
- Sourcing: Ability to find, evaluate and engage suppliers of goods and services
- Supplier Management: Knowledge of supplier management concepts, principles and methods, and ability to apply to strategic and/or practical situations
- Contract Management: Knowledge of contract management concepts, principles and methods, and ability to apply to strategic and/or practical situations
- Logistics: Knowledge of logistics operations, principles and methods, and ability to apply to strategic and/or practical situations
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary Education with a relevant specialized certification in Procurement is required;
- CIPS 2 certification or higher is an asset;
- University Degree in Business or Public Administration will be an advantage . An IT-related University Degree will be an added advantage..
- 6 years of progressively responsible administrative experience is required of which at least 3 years in procurement and logistics are required* (see note below). at international level, specially working with developing countries and involving IT solutions and power supply is required
- Experience in procuring customized software/hardware solutions will be an advantage.;
- Relevant experience/knowledge related to one or more of the UNDP Practice areas (such as Democratic Governance/Elections, Health related projects, Crisis prevention and recovery, Energy and Environment) will be an added advantage;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, Powerpoint) is required;
- Advanced knowledge and experience in the usage of ERPs and/or other web-based management systems is required;
- Knowledge and experience in UNDP’s ERP (Altas) will be a definite advantage.
- Fluency in English is required;
- Knowledge of another UN Official Language will be an advantage.
*Note: a Bachelor’s degree in combination with 3 years of procurement and logistics experience are required at international level, specially working with developing countries and involving IT solutions and power supply may be accepted in lieu of the 6 years relevant work experience
Important applicant information
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Roster information: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.