Immigration Intern - Fall 2021
Silver Spring (United States of America)
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. At work in over 40 countries and 26 U.S. cities to restore safety, dignity and hope, the IRC leads the way from harm to home. Domestically, our 26 offices across the U.S. ensure new arrivals have food, shelter, and clothing, and work with refugees to help them gain self-sufficiency.
SCOPE OF WORK
IRC's Immigration Department in Silver Spring, Maryland provides high quality, low-cost immigration services, including filing applications for adjustment of status (i.e. green cards), work authorization, naturalization, and family reunification for refugees, asylees, victims of trafficking and other immigrants.
- Facilitate adjustment of status applications with humanitarian immigrants.
- Perform research on immigration issues, polices and programs.
- Promote the IRC’s immigration department through online and local networks.
- Build partnerships with local agencies to improve provision of immigration services.
- Provide administrative support to the Immigration team including tracking, filing, and mailing relevant documents applications, and notices of action.
- Assist clients with document translation, authentication, presentation and completion.
- Interns will gain exposure to local refugee and asylee community.
- Interns will understand the various immigration processes and procedures refugees and asylees encounter.
- Interns will experience working in a multicultural office environment.