UNODC Project Assistant
UNODC is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNODC does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
This position is located in Skopje, North Macedonia. The incumbent will work, for administrative issues, under the overall guidance of the Regional Administration and Finance Associate, UNODC Programme Office in Belgrade, Serbia, and for substantive issues, under the direct supervision of the National Project Officer based in UNODC Office in North Macedonia and substantive oversight by UNODC Human Trafficking and Migrant Smuggling Section (HTMSS) Crime Prevention and Criminal Justice Officer of the UNODC Global Programme against Trafficking in Persons (GPAT), and in cooperation with the designated UNODC staff. The incumbent will serve as Project Assistant supporting the implementation of the Global Programme against Trafficking in Persons (GLOT59) in Albania, Montenegro, North Macedonia and Serbia.
As the guardian of the United Nations Convention against Transnational Organized Crime (UNTOC) and its supplementing Protocol to Prevent, Suppress and Punish Trafficking in Persons, Especially Women and Children (TIP Protocol), the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) primary goal with respect to addressing trafficking in persons, is to promote global adherence to the TIP Protocol, which to date counts 178 States Parties, and assist States in their efforts to effectively implement it.
Within the context of the UNODC Global Programme against Trafficking in Persons (GLOT59), implemented in South Eastern Europe (SEE), of the Human Trafficking and Migrant Smuggling Section (HTMSS) UNODC will implement a regional project “UN.Locking Impunity of Traffickers and Supporting Justice for Victims of Trafficking in Persons in Southeastern Europe” for the period 2021-2024, covering Albania, North Macedonia, Moldova, Montenegro and Serbia with the aim to contribute to ending the impunity of traffickers by supporting criminal justice systems in SEE to successfully investigate and prosecute TiP with a victim-centered approach.
Duties and Responsibilities
The incumbent will be responsible for backstopping day-to-day implementation of the activities under the UNODC Global Programme against Trafficking in Persons GLOT59 and will be based at the UNODC Programme Office in Skopje (North Macedonia).
Under the direct supervision of the Regional Administration and Finance Associate, UNODC Programme Office in Belgrade, Serbia and the Crime Prevention and Criminal Justice Officer, UNODC Global Programme against Trafficking (GPAT) with the National Project Officer based in UNODC Office in North Macedonia, will achieve the following key tasks:
- Assist the National Programme Officer based in UNODC Office in North Macedonia (NPO) and the Crime Prevention and Criminal Justice Officer, UNODC GPAT in day-to-day support of planning, monitoring and implementation of activities;
- Review, analyze and assist in the finalization of cost estimates and budget proposals related to the activities under the Global Programme against Trafficking;
- Research and compile information/data on specific programme activities and support writing periodic reports.
- Support the NPO and the Crime Prevention and Criminal Justice Officer, UNODC GPAT, in the elaboration of programme/project budgets and support the utilization of the procedures and systems for the appropriate financial control on programme implementation;
- Monitor project expenditures against approved work plans in Umoja and keep track of project expenditure per activity and donor/pledge ID, status of implementation and ensure compliance with United Nations financial rules and regulations; initiate project and/or budget revisions as required; ensure necessary approval and entry in Umoja; initiate financial authorizations for expenditures;
- Assist in the preparation and analysis of budget proposals for the programmes/projects and individual regional/country level budget segments; provide assistance in the interpretation of budget guidelines; verify availability of funds;
- Provide assistance on reporting requirements, guidelines, rules and procedures and ensure completeness and accuracy of data submitted;
- Liaise and work collaboratively with the Programme Management Assistant within the Technical Cooperation Team of the UNODC Global Programme against Trafficking based in Vienna.
- Provide budget estimates and support for the organization of international, regional and national conferences, meetings, seminars and workshops by liaising with national authorities of the countries concerned as well as administrative and financial departments, regarding hotel reservations, DSA payments and preparing documents such as agendas, lists of attendees and certificates;
- Organize all personnel travel arrangements in Umoja, creation of Umoja authorization of pay disbursement of funds, procurement of equipment and services, and support follow-up actions to close the events’ commitments administratively and financially; etc.
- Prepare contributions for implementing GPAT’s Communication and Visibility Plan;
- Handle arrangement for printing and translation as necessary; coordinate shipment arrangements, courier services, etc.
- Provide administrative support to the Global Programme against Trafficking staff based in South Eastern Europe (Albania, Montenegro, North Macedonia and Serbia) related to the administration of the project activities, more specifically in regard to the: human resources activities, including travel and training, monitoring of contract expiry dates, recruitment, performance appraisal, separation of staff members etc, which are closely in line with the United Nations regulations/rules, and relevant Administrative Instructions and procedures;
- Draft correspondence and communication for specific aspects of the project;
- Organize both incoming and outgoing correspondence, including the establishment of a log/ registry system and filing;
- Support organization of the field missions and coordination of the official meetings;
- Provide guidance and training to new/junior staff;
- Perform other related duties, as required, including support the Regional Administration and Finance Associate, UNODC Programme Office in Belgrade, Serbia in the above fields and support to the Project Assistant in the UNODC Project Office in Moldova, in the context of the implementation of the GPAT.
Performance Indicators for evaluation of results:
- Reliable administrative and financial support as per the above description of duties and responsibilities to the direct and overall supervisors, and their delegated staff in UNODC HQ Vienna, for the implementation of project activities provided throughout the assignment;
- Assistance to the direct and overall supervisors, and their delegated staff in UNODC HQ Vienna, in maintaining and managing project budget and any other financial/administrative reports provided;
- Programme/project budget maintained and managed and any other financial/administrative reports provided as per requests or agreed workplan;
- Administrative and financial reports provided in a timely and satisfactorily manner;
- Contacts with project partners and regional/national counterparts maintained;
- Meetings and other activities relating to the project implementation coordinated;
- All duties and responsibilities performed in a satisfactorily manner according to the project workplan and assessment of the direct and overall supervisors, and their delegated staff in UNODC HQ Vienna.
- Integrity: Demonstrates commitment to UNODC’s mission, vision and values;
- Respect of diversity: Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability; treats all people fairly without favouritism;
Communication - ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
- Advocates, able to change mind of self, peers and partners
- Persuades others to embrace new ideas, even when controversial
- Empathizes with client perspectives and needs
- Prepares and presents authoritative advice
- Represents team in formal settings
- Expands expertise of team through sharing expertise
Results Based Orientation
- Excellent organization skills, ability to work independently, accurately and meticulously and to deliver efficient quality outputs;
- Demonstrates ability to identify problems and proposes solutions;
- Provides inputs to the development of simple system components;
- Has ability to organize and complete multiple tasks by establishing priorities;
- Has ability to handle a large volume of work under time constraints;
- Plans and produces quality results to meet established goals, and;
- Demonstrates ability to generate innovative, practical solutions to challenging situations
- Demonstrates strong IT skills and displays the knowledge in utilization of specific software such as Umoja and Lotus notes
- Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals;
- Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise;
- Is willing to learn from others;
- Places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position;
- Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Job knowledge and Technical Expertise:
- Knowledge of procurement and logistics operations, principles and methods;
- Knowledge of finance and accounting concepts, principles, regulations, and policies; Ability to evaluate financial data, derive relevant findings and present them in a meaningful manner;
- Experience in office administration; Ability to manage day-to-day office activities (including but not limited to travel management, facilities and asset management, policy and procedures maintenance) to meet operational needs.
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree (BA) or equivalent, with minimum 3 years of experience, in Business Administration, Public Administration, Economics, Political Sciences and/or Social Sciences or related field is desirable, but it is not a requirement. Secondary Education (SE) or equivalent, with 5 years of experience, is required.
- At least 3 years with BA, or 5 years with SE or equivalent education, of relevant, practical working experience in administration and/or programme support service or other related field is required;
- Experience in projects implementation and working with government counterparts is required;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc) is required;
- Experience in the areas of Rule of Law, Security, Criminal Justice, Organized Crime or related subjects will be considered as an advantage;
- Knowledge of UNODC/UN administrative rules and procedures is an asset.
- Fluency in oral and written English and Macedonian language is required. Knowledge of Albanian language will be considered as an advantage. Knowledge of another UN language is an advantage.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.