Classroom Assistant for Refugee Youth Summer Academy
Elizabeth (United States of America)
Unpaid classroom assistants with RYSA support the Education & Learning team’s curricular and behavioral goals of student learning, enrichment, ESL, social emotional asset development and family outreach. RYSA Volunteers work closely with the ESL Lead Teachers and clinical psychology doctoral students to reinforce English language learning and school preparation with refugee youth in a positive and healing classroom environment. RYSA volunteers must be flexible and comfortable using various methods for teaching English Language Learners with varied levels of education. Throughout their classroom activities, RYSA volunteers will be expected to contribute to the program’s goals of fostering students’ English competence and social-emotional development. Participants must be over 17 years of age.
This is a HYBRID position requiring both REMOTE & IN-PERSON attendance.
- Facilitate & assist with English literacy and ESL instruction to students in grades K-12
- Support the ESL Lead Teacher & psychology doctoral student to implement culturally & age-appropriate curriculum for a class of approximately 15 students.
- Guide & support learning in various subjects & specialized activities (i.e. US History, Health, sports, art & music)
Under direction of ESL Lead Teacher & Education Specialist, assist implementation of culturally & age-appropriate curriculum using student-centered teaching methodologies for English Language Learners at all school levels
- Reinforce positive classroom management of student behavior
- Provide support to ESL Lead Teacher & psychology doctoral student; facilitate small group work with students
- Foster welcoming, nurturing &supportive environment to students that promotes trust & self-esteem building
- Engage in daily debriefings with Education Specialist, Youth Coordinator, Operations Coordinator & other staff
- Assist with daily operations including student arrival & dismissal, lunchtime setup/cleanup & Friday field trips
- Collaborate effectively with classroom volunteers, act as a positive role model for students and staff