Team Leader – Nature, Climate, Energy and Resilience (NCER)
Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensuring the strategic direction of the Nature, Climate, Energy and Resilience programme
- Ensuring effective management and delivery of the programme, and administrative/technical supervision of the Nature, Climate, Energy and Resilience Programme team
- Developing strategic partnerships and supporting resource mobilization
- Providing top quality policy advice services to the Government and facilitating knowledge building and management
- Thorough analysis of the political, social and economic situation in the country and collaborative preparation/revision of CCA, UNSDCF, CPD, AWP and other documents.
- Identification of strategic programme areas of collaboration;
- Operationalization of the Nature, Climate, Energy and Resilience components of the CPD in collaboration with the main partners and other UN agencies, including identification of possibilities for joint programming.
- Analysis and presentation of UNDP policies and their implementation in the CO;
- CO business processes mapping and establishment of internal standard Operating Procedures in Results management, control of the workflows in the programme unit.
- Ensures effective management and delivery of projects, and supervision of the Nature, Climate, Energy and Resilience Team, focusing on quality control of the full cycle of programming from formulation to implementation, and achieving the following results:
- Effective application of Results Based Management (RBM) and Transformational Development Approach (TDA) concepts, methods and tools, establishment of management targets (BSC) and assessment of result achievements.
- Design and formulation, under technical guidance of the SMT, of the CO programme within the area of responsibility, translating UNDP priorities and strategies into local interventions. Coordination of programme implementation with the executing agencies.
- Strategic oversight of planning, budgeting, implementation and monitoring of programming processes and results, tracking use of financial resources in accordance with UNDP rules and regulations, working closely with the Management Support Unit (MSU). Performs the function of Manager Level 2 in Atlas for development project transaction approval.
- Execution support, coordinating, spot checks, and ensuring compliance with reporting standards and requirements especially under the vertical funds (GEF, GCF, Adaptation Fund)
- Effective monitoring and assessing the impact (intended or non-intended/positive or negative) of the Nature, Climate, Energy and Resilience programme to ensure timely strategy readjustments.
- Follow up on audit recommendations, ensuring that all exceptions are timely reported.
- Aggregate reports are regularly prepared on activities, outputs and outcomes and donor reports are timely prepared and submitted.
- Appraisal of Nature, Climate, Energy and Resilience Team members performance.
- Organization of cost-recovery system for the services provided by the CO to projects in close collaboration with the Deputy Resident Representative.
- Implementation of the CO partnerships and resources mobilization strategies to achieve programme outcomes
- Supports the SMT in the creation and coordination of partnerships with the UN agencies, Government Institutions, development partners both bi-lateral and multi-lateral, private sector, civil society, media etc.
- Determination of Nature, Climate, Energy and Resilience programmatic areas based on country needs, UNDP’s comparative advantage in the country and availability of programme resources.
- Provides quality input to the research and analysis of information on development partners preparation of substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation, identification of opportunities for technical and financial partnerships.
- Robust monitoring and evaluation of projects under the NCER portfolio of the Country Programme in close collaboration with the MSU.
- Identification of best information sources for each Nature, Climate, Energy and Resilience -related development issues; and documentation of best practices and lessons learned in achieving related policy goals.
- Establishment of advocacy networks at national levels and linked to international networks. Relevant, high-impact advocacy campaigns are implemented with key partners.
- Provision, in collaboration with government counterparts, of technical and secretarial support to the processes of identification of need and opportunities for South-South learning, mission planning and documentation of lessons learned for decision-making purpose; and
- Sound contribution to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- The extent to which strategic opportunities are seized and reflected into quality of programming support and partnership with national partners.
- The extent to which such strategic opportunities are translated into innovative design of programme activities and operational approach;
- The extent of contribution of the programme to improving the strategic positioning and leadership of UNDP in the country, based on its contribution to: (a) overall improvement of UN cooperation’s relevance, coherence, effectiveness and efficiency through the Delivery as One (DaO) modality; (b) strengthened government’s ownership and leadership over development processes; and (c) achievement of development effectiveness objectives in Uganda.
- The extent to which the programme contributed to: (a) ensuring accountability and adherence to various UNDP policies and guidelines; and (b) ability of CO teams to ensure accountability and staff responsiveness to emerging performance requirements; and
- The extent to which the programme has contributed to creation of strategic partnerships as well as reaching resource mobilization targets for achieving programme outputs and outcomes.
- Solid relevant experience and knowledge in environment and climate change, its impact and all aspects of responses, including mitigation, adaptation, emergency preparedness, disaster risk reduction and building of community-level resilience.
- Capacity to provide, on the basis of field experience, constructive contributions towards improved efficacy and effectiveness of national responses to shocks that affect communities.
- Ability to develop, manage and strengthen partnership with other relevant institutions engaged in Environment, Climate and Disaster Resilience (particularly within United Nations Country Team UNCT).
- Capacity for strong financial oversight of projects including financial planning, budgeting, oversight and monitoring.
- Ability to manage a diverse team, including improved working environment, delegation of responsibilities and capacity building of team members.
- Ability to operate comfortably at upstream policy level.
- Good understanding of Results Based Management (RBM) and Transformational Development concepts, principles and methods and their application in strategic planning.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written skills.
- Demonstrated capacities in progress monitoring and reporting.
- Ability to document programming experience and write quality and substantive thematic papers, Briefing Notes, Concept Papers and Project documents.
Required Skills and Experience
Important applicant information
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.