International Consultant on National Adaptation Planning in Belarus
Home Based - May require travel (Home Based)
The EU4Climate Project helps governments in the six EU Eastern Partner countries - Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia, the Republic of Moldova and Ukraine - to take action against climate change. It supports countries in implementing the Paris Climate Agreement and improving climate policies and legislation. Its ambition is to limit climate change impact on citizens lives and make them more resilient to it. EU4Climate is funded by the European Union (EU) and implemented by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP).
The objective of the Project is to support the development and implementation of climate-related policies by the Eastern Partnership countries that contribute to their low emission and climate-resilient development and their commitments to the Paris Agreement on Climate Change. It identifies key actions and results in line with the Paris Agreement, the "20 Deliverables for 2020", and the key global policy goals set by the UN 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. The Project will also translate into action priorities outlined in the Eastern Partnership Ministerial Declaration on Environment and Climate Change of October 2016.
The following results will be achieved upon Project's implementation:
- Finalized/up-dated nationally determined contributions and national mid-century strategies and communicated to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC)
- Improved inter-institutional awareness and coordination at the political and technical level of the Paris Agreement and the corresponding national commitments
- Established or strengthened measurement, reporting and verification (MRV) systems, with countries getting on track with Paris Agreement transparency requirements
- Establishment of concrete sectoral guidelines for the implementation of the Paris Agreement in each of the Eastern Partners
- Advanced alignment with EU acquisitions
- Increased mobilization of climate finance
- Enhanced adaptation planning. As of July 2019, the Project has conducted consultations with the governments of the Partner Countries and has identified priority areas of work and key deliverables for each of the countries.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall supervision of the National Project Coordinator, the Consultant is expected to contribute to achieving the main outputs of the Project: (i) Finalized/up-dated nationally determined contributions and national mid-century strategies and communicated to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC), (ii) Improved inter-institutional awareness and coordination at the political and technical level of the Paris Agreement and the corresponding national commitments, (v) Advanced alignment with EU acquis, (vii) Enhanced adaptation planning.
The Consultant will also work in close consultations with the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environmental Protection of the Republic of Belarus (MNREP), the Project's national consultants, and other relevant stakeholders.
The Consultant will work in close cooperation and report to the organization hired by the Project to perform climate change impacts, vulnerability and climate risks assessment for the development of a National Adaptation Plan.
The objective of the assignment is to guide and assist a pool of national sectoral consultants in energy, industry, transport, utilities, economy, legal sphere and the organization, hired to perform the assessments of climate change impacts, vulnerability and climate risks for the development of a National Adaptation Plan for the Republic of Belarus.
The work done under the assignment shall promote environmental integrity, transparency, accuracy, completeness, comparability and consistency, and ensure the avoidance of double counting (Article 4.13).
A. Prepared presentation on climate change adaptation, main stages of national adaptation planning and general activities to consider at each phase for the National Adaptation Plan process (at least 35 slides)
B. Report on the analysis done (at least 15 pages)
C. Prepared presentation for information and educational workshops for consultation and capacity building of stakeholders on climate change adaptation, participated in online mode in the webinars for capacity building on climate change adaptation
D. Policy paper with the main points covered within the work done (not more than 5 pages)
- Excellent skills in drafting and compiling professional reports, confirmed by at least 5 relevant reports/publications
- Fluency in English is required, confirmed by diploma / degree / certificate if not native language
- Knowledge of Russian is an asset, confirmed by diploma / degree / certificate if not native language
Required Skills and Experience
·Bachelor's Degree in environmental sciences / sustainable development / social sciences / environmental protection, or related area
·Master's Degree or higher in social sciences / environmental sciences or related area will be an advantage
II. Work experience:
·At least 8 years of relevant professional experience in climate change-related issues confirmed by CV
·Knowledge of climate change sectoral adaptation measures in Europe / international climate-related political frameworks in Europe will an advantage and shall be confirmed by at least 5 presentations.
Proposals should be submitted by email to [email protected] (the following subject should be stated – Tender 211_2021) not later than 17.00 July 29, 2021.
PLEASE FOLLOW THE LINK TO GET SUBMISSION DETAILS https://procurement-notices.undp.org/view_notice.cfm?notice_id=80869