WASH Program Manager - Sudan
The Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) Project Manager works under the responsibility and functional supervision of the Head of base in Zalingei with technical inputs from the WASH program Coordinator. The PM is also in contact with HQ technical departments.
He/she is responsible for managing the WASH program activities, ensuring proper implementation, supervision, monitoring and reporting. The Project Manager is responsible, in coordination with the WASH program Coordinator, of managing the HR dedicated to the project. Representation and liaison with government line offices and humanitarian actors will also be expected.
- She/he ensures the proper development, implementation, supervision, monitoring, reporting of the different components of the project according to established objectives, goals, and indicators and in line with donor requirements and beneficiary needs
- She/he is responsible for oversight of the technical aspects of the implementation and coordination of the WASH program in Central and West Darfur.
- She/he monitors Budget vs. Actual expenditure for WASH programs monthly. Ensuring timely corrective action is taken to address any variances.
- She/he actively participates in Grant Management Meetings and ensures resulting actions are followed up.
- She/he is in charge of managing the HR dedicated to the project.
- She/he supports WASH teams in technical designs, development of cost estimates, technical specifications and overall documentation packaging for all WASH infrastructure and hygiene behaviour change and community engagement activities.
- She/he updates monitoring and planning tools, allowing to measure the progress, quality and impact of projects, to alert in case of slippage and to take corrective actions if necessary
Project Knowledge Creation
- She/he contributes to the project knowledge creation through the writing of activity sheets, design of relevant documentations, with the support of WASH program Coordinator & HQ WASH Technical Department.
- She/he carries out regular analysis of the relevance of the project scheme and suggests adaptation when needed.
Logistics and administration
- She/he anticipates the Logistics (procurements; purchase, vehicles, etc.), administrative and financial needs related to the project (recruitments, payments, cash requests, etc.)
- She/he prepares technical parts of tendering documents, participates in the follow up tendering process, prepares purchase requests and gives acceptance of payment.
- She/he follows the expenses related to project activities and crosscheck with the administration department on a monthly basis.
- She/he makes sure that logistical, administrative and financial procedures linked to the project implementation are established and alerts her/his superiors if gaps are observed so that corrective action may be taken.
- She /he needs to follow up all requested supplies by WASH program team
- She/he is involved in the recruitment of the program team under her/his management.
- She/he ensures that the administrative HR management of her/his team (daily attendance, leaves management) in collaboration with the HR department.
- She/he conducts WASH Program staff meeting in a regular basis and ensures good communication and coordination within the team.
- She/he ensures that her/his team complies with TGH internal rules (disciplinary management when needed).
- She/he performs regular performance evaluation, give working objectives, adapt the job description, identify the needs in terms of capacity building, and conduct trainings.
- She/he is in charge of building capacity of the managed team (identifies the needs in terms of capacity building, and conduct trainings).
- She/he supports WASH teams in developing spending plans and tracking of the same against actual spending monthly
- She/he planes, manage and supervise the work of the team
- She/he participates in monthly internal coordination meetings and communicates regularly with the WASH program Coordinator and the Field Coordinator.
- She/he communicates regularly with HQ WASH Technical Department on the project evolution, the technical problems faced; the potential risks and proposes solutions.
- She/he is involved in providing relevant communication on the project (pictures, video, success stories etc.).
- She/he updates and disseminates internal project monitoring tools (monitoring of activities, purchases, expenses, ToRs and mission reports, monthly reports, evaluation reports, etc.)
Representation and external coordination
- She/he represents TGH as required with donors, partners, local authorities (Department of Water Resources, Mayors, etc.) and stakeholders involved in the implementation of the project.
- She/he maintains good relationships with other UN and NGO actors.
- She/he ensures regular presence in UN-led WASH sector meeting.
Reporting and MEAL
- She/he writes donor narrative reports and internal reports, including monthly follow up of the project.
- She/he is in charge of gathering data, as well as data analysis to report on contractual indicators.
- She/he conducts, supervises and writes needs assessment reports.
- She/he participates in the development of new interventions based on identified needs, linked to the WASH sector
- She/he participates in the writing of concept note and projects proposals as requested
- She/he participates in the annual Country Strategy Development
- She/he meets with potential local partners (NGOs)
- She/he contributes to efforts aimed at ensuring compliance with safety rules at the site, and transmits all information relating to safety concerns to the field coordinator.
- She/he ensures the application of security instructions on the base and by the teams deployed in the field
These responsibilities may be reviewed as field requirements change.
Educational background and experiences
- Engineering degree or equivalent in the field related to Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WaSH) and/or training/courses specific to WaSH in humanitarian contexts with a minimum of 3 years working experience
- Experience in conflict area / post-emergency contexts desired
- Applied skills on WaSH projects management (public health, engineering)
- Good knowledge of the humanitarian environment (NGOs, UN, EU...) in particular the institutional functioning in case of crisis (PRS, clusters, specialized donors, effective functioning of coordination mechanisms...)
- Knowledge of drilling, well construction, spring development
- Knowledge of emergency sanitation (latrines, showers, waste pits)
- Knowledge in emergency water treatment: coagulation / flocculation, chlorination, etc.
- Experience and interest in hygiene promotion and community mobilization
- Ability to set up and deliver training to local teams
- Mastery of computer tools, at least Pack Office, Internet, Outlook. Mastery of specialized software for data collection / statistical analysis (e.g. Kobo / ODK.) and GIS (e.g. Google Earth, QGIS) will be a plus
- Competent in Microsoft Office, EPANET and AutoCAD of Infrastructures (ACAD, ArchiCAD etc.)
- Excellent professional approach and strong team building skills.Fluent English and French mandatory (oral and written)
- Arabic speaking is a strong asset
- Strong interpersonal and intercultural skills
- Autonomy and sense of team working
- Pro activity, delegation skill and flexibility
Position: WASH Program Manager - Central & West Darfur (Sudan)
Country: Sudan - The position is based in Zalingei (Central Darfur) with frequent travel, as security permits, to TGH bases across Central and West Darfur. In addition, regular trips to Khartoum will occur for coordination.
Duration: 11 months – starting from 1 September 2021 - renewable based on the availability of funds
Place in the org. Chart: Under the direct responsibility of the Head of base in Zalingei and with technical responsibility linked to the WASH program Coordinator in Khartoum Office
Conditions: Salaried contract, gross monthly salary from €1’900 to €2’600 depending on experience, monthly per diem 600 €, medical coverage of 100% + repatriation insurance + provident fund, accommodation, international and local transportation as part of the mission, break every 3 months.
Please send your CV and Cover Letter to Amandine RUINART, HR Officer: