Operations Assistant - NPSA-5
The overall mandate of the United Nations Department of Safety and Security (UNDSS) is to provide leadership, operational support, and oversight of the security management system to enable the safest and most efficient conduct of the Programmes and activities of the United Nations System.
Under the overall guidance of the Head of SOC and the direct supervision of the Deputy Head of SOC, the Operations Assistant during the permanence in Nairobi, Kenya, deals with the SOC email responses, maintains accurate email group lists, updates staff lists, database management; when is required will work from Mogadishu, Somalia on shifts in conjunction with other counterparts assigned to the Security Operations Center (SOC) in Mogadishu, Somalia when specifically relieves the other Operations Assistant assigned to SOC in Mogadishu, Somalia.
Also, ensuring high quality and accuracy of work. The Operations Assistant receive, process, record and disseminate all security-related information to the appropriate locations through approved security channels.
As such, they will broadcast security-related information originated from either the UNDSS Officers and/or FSAs, which could affect operations; keep track of all UN vehicle movements; when required, records individual movements; conduct radio checks with UN staff and, more specifically, with UNSMS organizations in Somalia. The incumbent is also required to train UN staff members in the proper use of all communications equipment and programming all UN radios to the various frequencies currently being used by the UN system in Somalia.
Duties and Responsibilities
Work on shifts in conjunction with other counterparts assigned to the Security Operations Center (SOC), focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Alert the supervisory chain immediately of any serious accident or incident.
- Maintain an accurate and updated log in the daily occurrences book of all reports received by the SOC
- Report immediately all communications that are urgent to the Head of SOC, Deputy Head of SOC, DPSA-OPS, and PSA following the magnanimity of the incident.
- Receive, process, record, and disseminate all security-related information to the appropriate locations through approved security channels.
- Monitor the SOC email account to take timely action on all incidents and or requests.
- Process the Travel Request Information Process (TRIP) requests for travelers to Somalia; - travel
- Serve as the first Security Point of Contact (POC) to all UN staff requiring security assistance.
- Ensure accurate and timely dissemination of alerts, incident reports, and flash reports;
- As required, require FSCOs, appropriate response teams, the on-call SIU Investigator, Local Security Assistants, UNGU, etc.
- Direct and coordinate all responses carried out by the response teams, the on-call SIU Investigator, Local Security Assistants, UNGU, Premises Security, and any other agencies required during crises.
- Direct and coordinate all responses to incidents reported from a UN compound.
- Maintain an Occurrence Log focused on actions taken during incidents that are reported to the Operations Duty Officers.
- Maintain 24/7 radio and telephone communications with all UN ISW Regional Operations Centers (ROC), as applicable.
- Work closely with the FSCOs in the field and international and national interlocutors to verify and exchange information.
- Maintain all relevant maps and contact lists for key personnel, security staff, Area Security Coordinators (ASCs), Senior Management, and emergency services providers.
- Ensure authorization for staff travel.
- Responsible for supervising the drafting of the daily incident reporting
- Manage the GIS situational map plotting of SOC;
- Keep the SIU informed in the event of any emergency.
- Conduct handover and brief all reports and occurrences to the relieving Operations Duty Officer.
- Perform any other duties assigned by the Head SOC, Deputy Head SOC, DPSA Operations, CSO/DPSA, and/or PSA.
- Ability to make new and useful ideas for work
- Ability to persuade others to follow
- Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade, and transform
- Ability to get things done while exercising good judgment
Building Strategic Partnerships
- Analyzes general information and selects materials in support of partnership building initiatives
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowing Sharing
- Researches best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things.
Job Knowledge & Expertise / Technical Expertise
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding the position
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
Promoting Organizational Change and Development
- Demonstrates ability to identify problems and proposes solutions
Design and Implementation of Management Systems
- Uses information/databases/other management systems
- Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Response to client needs promptly
Promoting Accountability and Results-Based Management
- Gathers and disseminates information on best practice in accountability and results-based management systems
Required Skills and Experience
- High School education with 5 years of relevant experience
- Or Bachelors degree with 2 years experience with a focus on telecommunications and/or related disciplines (computer science, engineering) is desirable
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in communications, preferably in the military or police operations center context.
- Experience in Military or Police Operations Centers is an asset.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and knowledge of automated systems, experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- Knowledge in hardware installation and maintenance is an asset.
- Fluency in written and oral English.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.