International expert to support facilitation of consultations with political parties and FEMPOWER III Conference
Bosnia and Herzegovina (Bosnia and Herzegovina)
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination and violence against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. UN Women supports UN Member States as they set global standards for achieving gender equality and works with governments and civil society to design laws, policies, programs and services needed to implement these standards.
Bosnia and Herzegovina (BiH) has made progress in creating preconditions for achieving gender equality by adopting relevant legislative and policy framework. However, women remain seriously under-represented in the country’s political institutions. In order to create a genuinely encouraging environment work on several fronts is required, including a sharper focus on implementation of all policy instruments and a corresponding shift of paradigm from equality of rights to equality of results, promotion of institutional processes that ensure women’s equal participation in political parties and parliament and consistent efforts to capacitate and include women in BiH in decision-making processes across board.
Women in Elections project is funded by the Government of Sweden and implemented by UNDP BiH and UN Women BiH, in partnership with BiH Agency for Gender Equality, BiH Central Election Commission, BiH Parliamentary Assembly - Committee on Gender Equality and selected local governments. The overall objective of this project to strengthen women’s leadership and participation in political life, vertically by making structural adjustments to accommodate greater numbers of women in politics, as well as horizontally by nourishing the next generation of women leaders in communities through tailored networking and capacity building initiatives and increased democratic participation and accountability.
One of the important elements of the said project is to support culture change within the political parties regarding gender equality, and the change of their internal rules, manifestos, policies and procedures to make them more gender sensitive and inclusive. UN Women is now seeking to engage an International expert to support facilitation of consultations with political parties in Bosnia and Herzegovina.
DEVELOPMENT AND IMMEDIATE OBJECTIVE
The “Women in Election in BiH” Project works closely with institutional Project partners, media and women leaders to engage and promote political participation of women and their leadership. As part of that effort, UN Women is designing efforts to support culture change within the political parties regarding gender equality, and the change of their internal rules, manifestos, policies and procedures to make them more gender sensitive and inclusive.
The immediate objective is to provide support in facilitation of consultations with political parties in BiH under the “Women in Elections in BiH” Project.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the UN Women Governance and Leadership Coordinator and working closely with National Consultant to facilitate consultations with political parties, the consultant is expected to deliver the following results:
- Prepare and facilitate, jointly with National Consultant, individual online consultations with 4 political parties in BiH – this includes developing a workplan and approach to consultations with political parties by detailing a concept of the consultations and facilitation of the consultations online. The consultant is expected to produce a 2-page paper in BCS with strategic recommendations for each of the 4 political parties, in close consultation with National Consultant. The international consultant is expected to lead the process with inputs and support by national consultant.
- Prepare and facilitate, joinly with National Consultant, a two-day consultations with political parties in BiH – this includes developing a workplan and approach to consultations with political parties by detailing a concept of the consultations, setting up the agenda and preparing all relevant materials to be used in the consultations, providing expert inputs on the content of consultations to ensure all topics are covered with relevant, accurate and timely information, and facilitation of the consultations. The international consultant is expected to lead the process with inputs and support by national consultant. (Due to potential COVID-19 related travel and meeting restrictions, it will be confirmed at a later stage whether the event will require physical or online presence of the consultant. The selected consultant is expected to be available for travel if conditions allow. In that case, UN Women will cover all travel related expenses of the selected consultant.)
- In close consultation with National Consultant, provide the project team with an expert review report of the consultations process with political parties in BiH, to include strategic recommendations for future engagement with political subjects in BiH. The report should be in English and is not to exceed 5 pages. The international consultant is expected to lead the process with inputs and support by national consultant.
- Prepare and facilitate three thematic sessions as part of the online FEMPOWER III Conference of Women Leaders for Development – the three topics include (1) Strategic approach to advocating for gender equality in political parties’ structures, rules, and regulations, (2) Reaching the base through effective communication and advocacy, (3) Networking across political spectrum for joint objectives regarding advancement of gender equality and women’s empowerment in Bosnia and Herzegovina. Target group of the Conference are women political leaders from Bosnia and Herzegovina and the objective is to empower women political leaders by helping them develop their capacities and skills for successful and efficient political leadership. (Due to potential COVID-19 related travel and meeting restrictions, it will be confirmed at a later stage whether the event will require physical or online presence of the consultant. The selected consultant is expected to be available for travel if conditions allow. In that case, UN Women will cover all travel related expenses of the selected consultant.)
To facilitate delivery of the above outputs, UN Women will provide the consultant the following:
- Project related documents and contacts, including the Concept Notes
- Women in Elections related knowledge products
- Other documents as necessary
DELIVERABLES AND TIMEFRAME
The consultant will be expected to complete the following tasks within the indicative timeframe:
Timeline and due dates
Workplan and approach based on the consultations with UN Women and UNDP produced and finalized following G&L Coordinator’s approval
5 August 2021
Individual consultations with 4 political parties based on the approved workplan facilitated, and a 2-page paper with strategic recommendations for each of the 4 political parties produced in B/H/S
15 August 2021
Two-day consultations with political parties prepared and facilitated based on the approved workplan
10 September 2021
Expert review report of the consultations process with strategic recommendations for future engagement with political subjects in BiH drafted and finalized following G&L Coordinator’s approval
20 September 2021
Prepare and facilitate three thematic sessions as part of the FEMPOWER III Conference of Women Leaders for Development in B/H/S
29 October 2021
The consultancy will last 10 days, in the period from 2 August to 1 November 2021. The assignment will not require presence on UN Women premises.
All deliverables should be submitted to the UN Women Governance and Leadership Coordinator in English except where deliverables are required in Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian by this TOR. Approval time required to review the deliverables before authorizing payments is 7 days.
- Respect for Diversity;
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues;
- Creative Problem Solving;
- Effective Communication;
- Inclusive Collaboration;
- Stakeholder Engagement;
- Leading by Example;
Please visit this link for more information on UN Women’s Core Values and Competencies: https://www.unwomen.org/-/media/headquarters/attachments/sections/about%20us/employment/un-women-values-and-competencies-framework-en.pdf?la=en&vs=637
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Shares knowledge and experience;
- Seeks and applies knowledge, information, and best practices from within and outside UN Women;
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more practice areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills;
- Development and Operational Effectiveness;
- Demonstrates excellent written and oral communication skills. Communicates sensitively, effectively and creatively across different constituencies;
- Demonstrates very good understanding of and experience in communications and outreach/advocacy;
- Ability to perform a variety of standard specialized and non-specialized tasks and work processes that are fully documented, researched, recorded and reported;
- Ability to review a variety of data, identify and adjust discrepancies, identify and resolve operational problems;
- Uses Information Technology effectively as a tool and resource;
Leadership and Self-Management:
- Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure;
- Proven networking skills and ability to generate interest in UN Women’s mandate;
- Identifies opportunities and builds strong partnerships with clients and partners;
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree (BA or BSc) in political science, or related field such as gender studies, development studies, public policy, legal studies or social sciences; Advanced degree in the same areas will be considered an asset
Skills and Experience:
- At least 7 years of demonstrated work experience in political advising, gender mainstreaming and human rights advocacy
- Experience in drafting gender sensitive policies and recommendations
- Experience in organizing and facilitating inclusive consultations with political subjects in Bosnia and Herzegovina or the Western Balkans region
- Previous experience with the UN or relevant international organistions and programs
- Fluency in English and Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian.
EVALUATION OF OFFERS
UN Women applies a fair and transparent selection process that takes into account both the technical qualification of potential consultants as well as the financial proposals submitted in support of consultant applications. Candidate applications will be evaluated using a cumulative analysis method taking into consideration the combination of applicant qualifications and financial proposal. The contract will be awarded to the individual consultant whose offer has been evaluated and determined as:
- responsive/compliant/acceptable, and
- having received the highest score out of below defined technical and financial criteria.
The maximum number of points assigned to the financial proposal will be allocated to the lowest price proposal among those candidates. Only the candidates who have attained a minimum of 70% of total points will be considered as technically-qualified candidates who may be contacted for validation interview.
Technical Evaluation (70%) – 70 points
- Bachelor’s degree (BA or BSc) in political science, or related field such as gender studies, development studies, public policy or social sciences – 10 points
- At least 7 years of demonstrated work experience in political advising, gender mainstreaming and human rights advocacy – 15 points
- At least 5 years of experience in drafting gender sensitive policies and recommendations – 15 points
- At least 5 years of experience in organizing and facilitating inclusive consultations with political subjects in Bosnia and Herzegovina or the Western Balkans region – 15 points
- Previous experience with the UN or relevant international organistions and programs – 10 points
- Fluency in English and B/H/S – 5 points
Financial Evaluation (30%)
- Evaluation of submitted financial offers will be done based on the following formula: S = Fmin / F * 30
- S - score received on financial evaluation;
- Fmin - the lowest financial offer out of all the submitted offers qualified over the technical evaluation round;
- F - financial offer under the consideration.
DOCUMENTS TO BE INCLUDED WHEN SUBMITTING THE PROPOSALS
Interested individual consultants must submit the following documents:
- Expression of interest and confirmation of immediate availability
- Lump sum consultancy fee in USD
- Completed UN Women Personal History (P11) form, that can be downloaded from http://www.unwomen.org/about-us/employment
Applications that are not complete will not be considered.
Due to potential COVID-19 related travel and meeting restrictions, it will be confirmed at a later stage whether the two events outlined in this TOR will require physical or online presence of the consultant. The selected consultant is expected to be available for travel if conditions allow. In that case, UN Women will cover cost of travel of the selected consultant.
For any additional information, please contact email@example.com
How to Submit the Application: To submit your application online, please follow the steps below:
- Download and complete the UN Women Personal History Form (P11)- http://www.unwomen.org/en/about-us/employment
- Merge your UN Women Personal History Form (P11), the Financial Proposal, Expression of Interest into a single file. The system does not allow for more than one attachment to be uploaded;
- Click on the Job Title (job vacancy announcement);
- Click 'Apply Now' button, fill in necessary information on the first page, and then click 'Submit Application;'
- Upload your application/single file as indicated above with the merged documents (underlined above);
- You will receive an automatic response to your email confirming receipt of your application by the system.
Qualified women and men and members of minorities are encouraged to apply. UN Women applies fair and transparent selection process that would take into account the competencies/skills of the applicants as well as their financial proposals.
Due to large number of applications we receive, we are able to inform only the successful candidates about the outcome or status of the selection process.