Re-advertisement - Project Manager - Innovation Small Grant Aggregator Platform
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
- (Expected Results 3) New innovations encouraged and accelerated - Development of innovative adaptation practices, tools and technologies encouraged and accelerated; and
- (Expected Result 4) Evidence base generated - Evidence of effective, efficient adaptation practices, products and technologies generated as a basis for implementing entities and other funds to assess scaling up.
- Development of innovative adaptation practices, tools and technologies promoted and accelerated. Evidence of effective, efficient adaptation practices, products and technologies generated as a basis for implementing entities and other funds to enable scaling up;
- Timely and efficient completion of business milestones demonstrated through additional investment and/or support capitalization for scaling;
- Lessons learned codified, documented, and disseminated leading to adoption or replication of project introduced innovations.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Principal Technical Advisor (PTA) for Climate Change Adaptation, the incumbent provides effective and efficient support of the ISGAP project through a range of actions contributing to the design, planning, management and monitoring of project activities. The Project Coordinator applies and promotes the principles of results-based management (RBM), as well as a client-oriented approach consistent with UNDP rules and regulations. S/he is responsible and accountable to the Project Board for the project results.
Project Management (50%)
- Lead the overall implementation and management of the ISGAP project;
- Ensure the timely and efficient delivery of project outputs and products leading to the achievement of expected results;
- Execute activities by managing personnel, goods and services, training and low-value grants, including drafting terms of reference and work specifications, and overseeing all contractors’ work;
- Monitor events as determined in the project monitoring plan, and update the plan as required;
- Provide referrals to business advisory services for project grantees when appropriate;
- Help enterprises grow and diversify UNDP’s services offering in the space of enterprise development;
- Provide support for completion of assessments required by UNDP, spot checks and audits;
- Manage requests for the provision of UNDP financial resources through funding advances, direct payments or reimbursement;
- Monitor financial resources and budgets to ensure the accuracy and reliability of financial reports;
- Monitor progress and plan deviations, and make course corrections when needed within project board-agreed tolerances to achieve results;
- Ensure that changes are controlled and problems addressed;
- Manage and monitor the project risks, including social and environmental risks, initially identified and submit new risks to the Project Board for consideration and decision on possible actions if required. Update the status of these risks by maintaining the project risks log;
- Assess major and minor amendments to the project within the parameters set by UNDP & AF.
- Support UNDP’s work to assist countries in fostering and accelerating locally-led innovative adaptation solutions;
- Lead project activities related to enterprise development, ensuring excellence in execution
- Engage key stakeholders in the support ecosystem and pertinent associations within priority value chains;
- Provide strategic guidance and technical leadership regarding the project's approach to enterprise development;
- Design, plan, and conduct annual conference for key stakeholders and project grantees;
- Plan, conduct, and facilitate project board and technical advisory committee meetings;
- Draft terms of reference and work specifications, and oversee all contractors’ work;
- Proactively engage with project grantees to understand their needs;
- Provide support to source technical assistance and advisory services to match grantees’ requests;
- Coordinate with other teams and regional initiatives in the UNDP Bangkok Regional Hub;
- Actively collaborate and engage with key project partners (UNDP Youth Co:Lab, UNDP SGP, Climate Finance Network, UNDP Accelerator Labs) and external partners;
- Perform regular progress reporting to the project board as agreed with the Board, including measures to address challenges and opportunities;
- Coordinate report submissions to UNDP on a quarterly basis;
- Coordinate revisions to the multi-year workplan, as needed, as well as annual and quarterly plans if required;
- Monitor implementation plans including the gender action plan, stakeholder engagement plan, and any environmental and social management plans;
- Monitor and track progress against the AF Core indicators;
- Support the Terminal Evaluation process;
- Coordinate Program-level communications, managed through Climate Change Adaptation Communications lead and in effective coordination with the UNEP/CTCN Communications officer.
- Support overall Knowledge Management of the project;
- Oversee evaluation, capturing, codification, synthesis of lessons and stimulating the uptake of best practices and knowledge, including the development of knowledge materials;
- Peer reviews, comments on, and seeks to improve knowledge management materials;
- Contributes to the global Community of Practice and sharing knowledge with relevant countries;
- Liaises with UNEP, CTCN, other UNDP teams to integrate knowledge management.
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work.
- Ability to persuade others to follow.
- Ability to improve performance and satisfaction.
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform.
- Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement.
- Knowledge of sustainable development concepts, principles and issues and the ability to apply to strategic and/or practical situations, covering the economic, social and environmental dimensions.
- Ability to manage programmes and projects with a strategy aimed at improved performance and demonstrable results.
- Ability to develop, maintain, and strengthen partnerships with others inside (Programmes/projects) or outside the organization who can provide information, assistance, and support.
- Knowledge of climate change including climate change international regime and ability to apply to strategic and/or practical situations.
- Knowledge of climate finance concepts and instruments and the ability to apply to strategic and/or practical situations.
- Ability to capture, develop, share and effectively use information and knowledge.
- Ability to plan, organize, and control resources, procedures and protocols to achieve specific goals.
- Knowledge of financing for sustainable development and ability to apply to strategic and/or practical situations.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree in public administration, economics, law, environmental science, finance or related areas;
- Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 7 years of experience in relevant fields would also be accepted;
- Certification in project management would be an advantage.
- Minimum of 5 years’ relevant and progressive working experience with a Master’s degree, or at least 7 years’ experience with a Bachelor’s degree, in the design, management and implementation of projects and/or working in a relevant position to this post;
- Experience in managing complex projects requiring close coordination with the various donors, including demonstrated capacity to manage a wide range of national and sub-national stakeholders;
- Previous working experience in the field of climate change and/or innovation is an advantage;
- Previous working experience in enterprise development is an advantage;
- Previous experience in development assistance or related work for a donor organization, governmental institutions, NGO or private sector/consulting firm is a very strong advantage;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems;
- Knowledge of UNDP policies, procedures and practices is an advantage.
- Excellent knowledge of the English language, with exceptional writing, presentation, and communication skills;
- Knowledge of other official UN languages would be desirable.
Under US immigration law, acceptance of a staff position with UNDP, an international organization, may have significant implications for US Permanent Residents. UNDP advises applicants for all professional level posts that they must relinquish their US Permanent Resident status and accept a G-4 visa, or have submitted a valid application for US citizenship prior to commencement of employment.
UNDP is not in a position to provide advice or assistance on applying for US citizenship and therefore applicants are advised to seek the advice of competent immigration lawyers regarding any applications.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.